Final

Lanterns of Love

Zelo looked up at the night sky over the lake, the floating lanterns dancing small patterns across the water. He turned to the side to see a smile on his boyfriend’s face, his skin illuminated by the orange lights. His blonde hair was buzzed on the sides and it was styled over his head. The light danced across him as well, catching the glints of sweat on his arms that were open because of his sleeveless shirt and the beads rolling down his face.

“Aren’t they beautiful, Zelo-ah?” his deep voice s out of his lips and Zelo looked back at him. He wouldn’t get enough of his face, the perfect smile and the gorgeous eyes.

“Yeah, Yongguk-hyung, they are.” He reached down, interlacing their fingers and pulling him closer, the grass they were sitting on rustling lightly in the movement and the wind. Zelo looked again to his left, to his boyfriend, to his life. He bit his bottom lip and smiled, leaning on his shoulder. “I love you, hyung.” Zelo muttered out, rubbing his thumb across Yongguk’s hand.

“I love you too, Zelo-ah.” He chuckled under his breath and kissed the top of the younger’s head. Zelo stared at the lanterns, flying away into the sky, the beautiful aspect of them suddenly replaced with the thoughts of sadness. People loved the lantern show every year, but they floated away into the wind, never to be seen again. What if that happened to him? What if Yongguk floated away and he never saw him again? He bit his lip again and glanced up at his smiling boyfriend, his heart skipping a beat when he glanced down, meeting his eyes. Yongguk leaned his head down and placed his lips softly on Zelo’s, pulling back and sitting up straight again.

“Hyung…” Zelo whispered, and Yongguk looked down at him.

“Yeah, Jagiya?” Yongguk’s deep voice was even lower when he whispered and that sent a shiver down Zelo’s spine that he knew he’d never get over.

“Promise me something.” He said, his grip on Yongguk’s hand tightening. He was scared. He was scared to ask this question, to interrupt their perfect harmony, and have him run away.

“Anything. Just ask me anything and I’ll promise you.” Yongguk rubbed his thumb on Zelo’s hand comfortingly and leaned his head on the younger’s, hearing a sigh escape Zelo’s lips.

“Promise me that you won’t be like these lanterns, hyung.” He said, and Yongguk sat up, turning to fully look at him.

“What do you mean, Zelo-ah?” he said, reaching out to run his fingertips down Zelo’s cheek, the younger turning a shade of pink.

“Promise me that you won’t be bright and beautiful and addicting when you’re with me, but then you’ll float away and never see me again.” He said, looking down. He was ashamed of admitting his fears, but he had never had something so good, so right, and so perfect before and he wanted to keep it.

“Zelo-ah…” Yongguk chuckled, standing and moving closer to the water. Zelo just stared, watching him carefully. Yongguk jumped up as another lantern came close to the water and grabbed it, trying his hardest not to fall in the water. He took the orange lantern back to Zelo, the light inside it burning hotly and brightly. He handed it to him.

“What’s this for, hyung?” he said, his voice barely a whisper.

“That’s me, Zelo-ah.” He said simply, running his hand down Zelo’s arm. “I’m like this lantern. I’ll be with you even after my light goes out.” He smiled, his lip riding up on his gums. Zelo could feel tears welling in his eyes and he leaned over, kissing Yongguk lightly, leaning their foreheads together.

“You promise, hyung?” he said, his voice cracking with the tears.

“I promise, Zelo-ah.” He said, reaching in his pocket and pulling out a small box, holding it in front of Zelo’s eyes. “I want you to be mine forever.” He whispered, opening the box to reveal a small golden ring with diamonds all along the band, a larger ruby in the center. Zelo in a sharp breath, sitting up straight and taking the box out of his hand.

“Hyung is this for me?” he said naively, a stupid grin crossing his face.

“Yes, Zelo-ah, it is.” He said, taking the ring out of the box and slipping it on his finger. “I want you to marry me.” He whispered.

“Oh, Yongguk-hyung, wow…” he said. “Yes.” He whispered, tears now flowing down his face. “I want nothing more than to be yours forever, hyung.” He leaned over, kissing him fully this time, hands looping around his neck. “I love you hyung.” He whispered against his lips.

“I love you more, jagi.” He whispered, his breath tickling Zelo’s skin. “And I always will.”