Ji Eun's Fiancé

Seeking the New World - Book 3 - Searching

 

Chapter 9 - Ji Eun's Fiancé

Kai and Yin had never felt more comfortable but awkward ever since D.O came in the room at such perfect timing. Kai nearly killed him but Yin had to pull him away. He kept her company until she was released from the clinic. 

On the busy streets of Notro, both Argents didn’t have the guts to hold each other’s hand. They were literally brushing against each other but they didn’t want to make the first move. They were on their way to Ji Eun’s condo so that she could apologize to her properly. They stopped in front of the entrance. Kai walked but she didn’t

“Will she forgive me?” He turned around.

“She’s your friend. I’m sure she will.”

“I never said goodbye to her that night.”

“She’ll understand why.” He held out his hand for her. She slowly took it and he interlaced their fingers.

While they were in the elevator, Kai thought carefully on his plan. The day before they left for Rova, he went to the library to print out some articles on famous swordmakers. He stopped at the name, Bang Yong Guk. He read further and highlighted the key facts. 

Bang Yong Guk had the skills to regrow metal from any sword hilt and was going to be married to Song Ji Eun. He remembered that missionary’s name from what Yin told him. If they went to Notro, they might run into her fiancé. 

Kai left a note for Lu Han this morning. He also snuck into her room while she was asleep to put the broken sword into his backpack. He made sure she had two of the Runes with her just in case they might run into Daemens during their trip.

He snapped out of his thoughts when Yin pulled his hand out of the elevator. They silently walked to the suite. However, when she was about to knock, the door was opened by a cheery woman in pretty clothes. She stopped and saw a familiar face in front of her.

“Yin? Is that really you?” She placed her hands on her shoulders and gazed at her.

“Ji Eun,” she called her name. Yin let go of Kai’s hand and lightly gripped on her friend’s arms.

“Did you have any idea how worried I was when you were gone?” Happy tears were making her eyes glassy. Yin lowered her head.

“I’m sorry. I wish it were simple. I thought that it would protect you if I left.”

“You foolish girl! I was supposed to protect you. I’m just glad that you’re alright.” Ji Eun peeked over Yin’s shoulder and saw Kai. He said hello.

“You must be her friend.” Kai scratched the back of his head in modesty.

“Something like that, I guess.”

“You two are just in time. Let’s go on the roof for a moment. There’s someone I’m dying for you to meet!” She tugged on Yin’s wrist up the stairs and Kai followed behind. When they opened the door, they took in the sight of the city. Kai whistled, impressed.

“Sweet view.”

“I know, right?” She looked at her watch. “He should be here at any moment.”

Yin blinked in confusion but suddenly, they heard a distant chopping noise from the sky. They looked up and saw a helicopter with a masked bunny logo on the side. While it flew over Yin’s head, a tall figure slid one door open and jumped off. Dumbfounded, she stayed planted in her spot as his landed with a loud thud and a shaking rumble behind her. He looked at his watch.

“12:00 pm... and 6 seconds.” His voice was very deep and dark. She could have sworn that it wasn’t human.

“Nice timing, honey!” Ji Eun called out.

“Nice timing indeed!” He boomed. He ran passed Yin and swung Ji Eun in his strong arms.

“Yong Guk! Stop! I’m getting dizzy!” She shouted and he set her down. He pecked her on the lips.

“How’s your trip?”

“Eventful.” She simply replied.

“I see. Oh I forgot. I brought my crew with me. Hope you have enough room in your crib for the boys along with those two little kids here.”

“Kids?” Kai flabbergasted.

“Don’t take it the wrong way. He’s always like this.” Ji Eun grinned at Kai. The helicopter finally landed at the corner of the rooftop and five more men with different hair colours hopped out of the vehicle. Yong Guk let go of his embrace and marched to his crew.

“B.A.P!” Yong Guk announced. The five members stood in a straight line and saluted. “Yes Sir!”

“Say your greetings!” He ordered. They bowed simultaneously like soldiers and said, “Song Ji Eun, Captain Bang’s fiancée, we send our greetings!” Yin and Kai blinked at their behavior.

“Crazy rabbits,” Kai whispered to himself.

Yin walked up to Ji Eun. The missionary put her arm around her shoulders and gestured, “Zhang Yin, meet my fiancé: Bang Yong Guk. That is his crew, B.A.P. They are known for their explosives and fabulous war preparation.” She looked at them one by one until she caught her eye at the man on the far left. He had slightly darker skin than the rest. He took one look at her before listening to his leader again.

After a very heavy reunion and introduction, the group went back downstairs to Ji Eun’s home. It was very noisy but there was a warm atmosphere lingering. Kai and Yin were introduced to B.A.P.

Bang Yong Guk was the Captain/Leader of the crew. He had a fearsome demeanor but he toned it down for Ji Eun’s sake.

Kim Him Chan was the Chief/Lieutenant of the crew. He’s a peacemaker and very jolly. He was usually the pilot of aircrafts. He was also in charge of all the weapons back at the base. Kai especially didn't like him for being very flirty with Yin.

Jung Dae Hyun was the Engineering expert. He built most of the helicopter and the rest of the crew’s vehicles. He’s the most quiet member of the crew. He also had the sharpest reflexes but didn’t like to fight.

Yoo Young Jae was the Brain. He hated the action and preferred to be behind the computer screen, analyzing data and hacking into various systems. He’s very sarcastic and created a lot of conflict with Him Chan.

Moon Jong Up was the physically strongest member. He’s the only Argent in the group and his ability was his Iron Body. His bones and muscles were denser than a human body builder. Despite his durability, he was very gentle and shy. He always tested out the explosives because it never did any damage to him.

Zelo was the robot created by the B.A.P crew. He’s very insensitive and docile, who only listens to Yong Guk. He was void from emotions and had no expressions. He liked to throw the explosives at enemies and his aim was one hundred percent accurate.

Him Chan kept trying to get Yin’s attention but she didn’t know what to do. “Him Chan, don’t get too cozy with her. She’s very shy.” Ji Eun warned.

“Not to worry. I’m what you call an extrovert!” He declared proudly.

“More like a ert,” Young Jae corrected, earning a deadly glare from the Chief. “Have you got no shame? You’re dating an older woman for crying out loud!” Kai covered his mouth to prevent himself from bursting out laughing and Yin’s eyes were threatening to pop out and land on the table. Him Chan cleared his throat and smoothed his jacket in a "cool" manner.

“I remembered what to ask. Yin, have you been at the society the whole time?” Ji Eun asked. Yin nodded.

“That’s good. At least you were safer than I thought. Who knows what would have happened to you.” She breathed out a sigh of relief.

“Honey, is she the Argent you were talking about on the phone?”

“That’s right. I remember when she didn’t say much when we first met.” She reminisced. 

“Hey, kid.” Yin’s head perked up at his scary voice. “Are you strong?” Yin’s head cocked to the side.

“I don’t think you should ask that question.” Kai warned.

“Why?”

“Hey, Jong Up!” The B.A.P member looked at Kai. “Arm wrestle with Yin.” He challenged. Him Chan gasped. Dae Hyun and Young Jae raised their eyebrows. Zelo looked indifferent and Yong Guk had an amused grin.

Minutes later, she and Jong Up were sitting across from each other at a spare table. Both elbows were planted firm and they clasped their left hands. They kept their right arms behind their backs. Yin didn’t want to use her Origin Arm because she thought it wouldn’t be fair.

“There’s no concern if you two break the table. It’s all good.” Ji Eun reassured.

“Don’t fart, Jong Up.” Young Jae joked. Dae Hyun rolled his eyes. Jong Up smirked a little.

“We start countdown from three.” Him Chan announced. “Three! Two! One! Start!” Jong Up and Yin used their full strength. He looked like he was winning but she kept a calm face. Jong Up started to lose his power as she almost forced his arm in reverse and finally slammed a victory while chipping off a large piece of the table. Jong Up earned a few wooden splinters but he carefully plucked them off.

He chuckled and said, “Wow. That was quick.”

“Guess that answers your question, Yong Guk,” Kai said. The captain nodded in interest.

“I like you guys already. Why don’t you join the crew?”

“We’ll pass on that offer. We’re already in a faction of our own.”

“Right. You guys have important things to do before that time comes.” He said in understanding.

“That reminds me. Yin, I don’t see you carry your sword today. Where is it?” Ji Eun asked. Her eyes turned sad and she looked away. Kai decided that it was time to start his plan. He grabbed his backpack and took out the sword. Yin’s eyes widened.

“Where did you...?”

“I had to do something. Trust me.” He held it out to Yong Guk.

“You can regrow sword metal from only its hilt. Can you fix it for her?” He took the hilt and examined the remaining piece of the sword. “It’s an old metal.” He commented. Yin felt her heart sink a little.

“But I can fix it no problem.” Whatever weight that was carried was suddenly and graciously lifted.

“So then...” She stuttered.

“It’s going to take some time but it’s guaranteed.” He gave a crooked smile.

But that smile suddenly dropped when something omniscient was heading towards them from outside.

“Crew!” He roared. The members took cover, Kai held Yin, Yong Guk shielded Ji Eun and Jong Up braced for the attack. The window glass suddenly shattered into thousands of pieces from an unknown attack. The invisible slashes tore the furniture and dust began to pile up in the air.

The second the whirlwind died, Yin ripped herself from Kai and charged towards the open window and leapt as far as she could and landed on top of one of the pods driving on the road. B.A.P, Kai and Ji Eun were calling out to her, bewildered on what was happening. Jong Up stopped them. He had many cuts on his flesh but his vitals were still stable.

“Whatever attacked us just now, it was not human.”

“So is it an Argent?” Kai asked.

“I can’t tell. It had an Argentic vibe but Daemen energy is mingled in it too.” Everyone was speechless on his hypothesis. The teleporter remembered a discussion with Lu Han. “The Daemens have Lay as a hostage to lure us in. If I am not mistaken, their next targets could be the missionary Song Ji Eun and fellow faction member Huang Zi Tao. If you are going to be near either of them, take extra precaution.”

Kai spoke, “They were after her. The Daemens are trying to kill Ji Eun.”

She paled at his accusation. “They got Lay. They only need you and Tao so they can kill off the rest of us.”

“Guys, Yong Guk, track me down. I might need some back up.”

Kai concentrated at one spot on the highway and teleported out of the room. Yong Guk huffed. “You heard the kid. Crew! Let’s move!” B.A.P ran out and fired grappling hooks to the rooftop from the window. Yong Guk squeezed Ji Eun’s hand and said, “Hide somewhere safe until I come and get you. You understand?”

She fervently nodded before giving him a deep kiss. “I understand.”

Yin held onto the pod she landed on and tried to maintain her balance. The driver swerved around to make her fall but she stood up straight and jumped from vehicle to vehicle, chasing after the attacker. He was levitating only a few inches above the highway. The rushing wind was freezing her skin and with her weight, she was threatened to fly away from the current.

The Attacker turned around and summoned a small army of Daemen leopards. He commanded them to charge towards his pursuer. Seeing them, she instinctively reached for her hilt but remembered that she didn’t have it with her. She cursed under her breath and equipped the Rune of Earth. She concentrated on the power and coated her fists with a dense clay and hardened it. She threw a punch at the first leopard and it knocked out of the course. It disappeared into ash.

Kai threw out the driver in one of the pods he teleported on top of and took the control. He wove through the traffic, although he was too troublesome to earn a license. He saw ashes drifting off the road. He picked up the speed to catch up. He looked towards the sky, keeping an eye on the helicopter above.

Yin continued to eliminate the Daemen leopards with her earth-coated fists and gradually got closer. To slow her down, he emitted a very strong wind full of invisible razors. The impact sent the pods between them flying towards her. She ejected the Rune of Earth and moved around to dodge them. Although she avoided the pods, the razors cut through her shirt and skin. Before she was blown away, she grabbed onto a nearby pod and held onto it.

Up above, B.A.P was in the helicopter and Him Chan was piloting. Yong Guk was in the passenger seat, aiming the chopper’s gun towards the attacker. The chief gave the captain the signal and he fired. From the road, Yin got a glance of the helicopter firing at the enemy. The crew must be buying her time to catch up. The bullets were pelting on the signs and she ducked her head from a broken post. The leopards were still hot on her heels.

The pursuit moved to the tunnel. Most of the pods were gone from the previous attack and only three leopards remained. Kai accelerated his pod beside Yin and blinked the headlights, telling her to hop on top. She jumped and landed roughly. He continued to speed up and they got closer to the attacker. It floated to the end of the tunnel and summoned another pack of Daemen leopards dashing towards them. Kai opened the sun roof and shouted, “Get in!”

Yin hopped in the passenger seat and Kai heavily exhaled. “Hang on. I’m going to try something.” She gripped on the seat and held onto the roof with her other hand. When the Daemen leopards were closing in on them, he swerved the pod off the road and on the tunnel’s wall. When they reached the curved ceiling, he pushed the accelerator to the maximum to prevent the pod from falling. The Daemens crashed into each other below them and most of them disintegrated into ashes. Only a few stopped and turned back to continue the chase.

Outside in the middle of the road, Yong Guk and Zelo stood with two handheld explosives in their hands. 

“Are they here yet?” Zelo asked.

“Be a little patient.” Yong Guk smirked. The robot peered at him.

“So this thing, is there any punch to it?”

“Dae Hyun’s and Young Jae’s finest creation.” Zelo’s lips grew to a wicked grin.

“You like seeing a lot of colours right? Then you’ve love this. It’s,” he paused, “Flashy.”

“Good call. I should enjoy this, if those two don’t get caught in it, right?”

“If they do then we’ll have to go to war with cheap dynamite.” Yong Guk mused.

Within seconds, the attacker flew past the two B.A.P members and Kai’s pod whipped by shortly after. Yong Guk and Zelo threw the bombs at the tunnel’s exit and right when it hit the floor, a mind-blowing explosion drowned out all the noise around it. The Daemens were caught in the middle and turned to ashes immediately. 

The velocity of the pod reached its maximum. Seeing that there wasn’t much time before the attacker could get away, Yin hastily opened the sun roof and climbed out, ignoring Kai’s protests. She pounced and tackled it off the road and into a wasteland below. She was about to give a final blow but she got a good view of his marked face. She recognized those eyes but couldn’t put her finger on where she’d seen it before. The enemy smirked and disappeared away into the wind, and she was left alone.

Yin’s head started to ache again. Another memory was coming back to her. This time, she saw someone write on a filthy floor with his finger. She saw what he drew and it was the foreign character of death. Then Yin saw on someone’s arm the number 4319, and her own with a number 5112.

Yin shook out of her trance when she heard the engine of the pod dying beside her. Kai hopped out of the pod and saw her dazed expression.

“What did you see?”

She was quiet before she answered.

“I saw numbers; four digit numbers,” she stuttered, not looking at him. “And I saw someone writing a Chinese character like this.” She squat down and wrote it on the ground. “死” It read. Kai’s eyes widened at her discovery and was having a hard time trying not to fill in all the details. 

“I’m sorry, Kai.” He looked at her sagging shoulders. “I shouldn’t have chased after him. I didn’t know what to think while it happened.”

Kai sighed. “Stop blabbering.” He came closer to her. “If you hadn’t gone after him, you wouldn’t have regained that memory.”

He had a point. She turned around and was met by his gaze. He was standing too close to her. He wanted to try it again but he needed to know whether she was okay with it. Holding her breath, she waited for him to lean further and further to her lips. Her heartbeat couldn’t get any quicker when he was just centimeters away.

However, they were interrupted again with the sound of the helicopter. “Hey! Need a ride?” Yong Guk hollered from above. Kai glared at him while his eye twitched in annoyance. Now he had two people to hate for ruining his chances. The rope ladder dropped down to the two Argents and they held onto it while the chopper flew higher. Yin was the first to climb and Kai followed close behind.