Chapter One

Complicated

“Yo!”

Sunggyu, Sungyeol, Myungsoo, Woohyun and Hoya, members of the school’s rock band Crash, were taking a break from the rehearsal glanced at the door to see a very familiar face: Baek Minseo. “Annyeong, Minseo-ya!” Sungyeol cheerfully waved. Minseo entered the room and walked towards the circle of guys. “Here’s the kimbap I promised yesterday.” Minseo set a medium-sized lunch box on the ground and opened it. Immediately, hands shot out to take the food. “Thanks, Minseo-ya.” Hoya smiled before popping kimbap into his mouth. Minseo glanced at Sunggyu, who was eating a kimbap himself. Minseo thought he looked like a model, just sitting like that, his soft caramel hair dancing slightly because of the wind from the opened window.

After a while, the lunch box Minseo brought was empty. Minseo smiled, pleased. “Thanks, Minseo. It’s delicious like always. But why you never make something else other than kimbap?” Woohyun asked. “Arasseo, arasseo. I’ll bring you something else next time.” Minseo rolled her eyes. “Yah, be thankful she even made it!” Myungsoo hit Woohyun’s head. “Yah, I’m your hyung!” Woohyun protested and tried to put Myungsoo into a head lock. Hoya glanced at his purple watch. “Guys, let’s go home. It’s almost five.” Hoya announced. The guys stood up and and grabbed their bags. As Minseo stood up, Sunggyu slung an arm over Minseo’s shoulder. “Let’s go.” Sunggyu smiled, his small eyes becoming even smaller than before. Minseo found it cute, though. Even though things like slinging his arm over Minseo’s shoulder already seemed like a habit for him, Minseo sometimes still blushed at the simple contact. Yes, Baek Minseo had a huge crush on the vocalist of the school’s rock band, Kim Sunggyu.

How did Minseo become close friends with the guys from the school’s popular rock band? Kim Sunggyu, was not only the vocalist of Crash, but also the school’s soccer team’s captain, which made him even more popular. Minseo, happened to be the only girl in the soccer team. Minseo loves soccer. At first even the coach was doubtful of Minseo’s soccer skills because she was a girl but eventually she was accepted.

“Minseo, do you want to go to the ice cream shop?” Sunggyu asked. Minseo paused before nodding. “Okay.” Sunggyu turned to the guys. “Sorry guys, me and Minseo are going to the ice cream shop. See you guys later.” Sunggyu gave them a crooked smirk as he heard the guys protesting on how they wanted to tag along. “Sorry guys, it’s our bonding time. Do not disturb.” He waved at them without even facing them. The guys watched as Sunggyu and Minseo disappeared by the school gate. Woohyun shook his head. “It’s like they’re dating.”

---

“The usual?” Sunggyu asked as he stuffed his hands into the pockets and glanced at Minseo. “Ne.” Minseo nodded and beamed. “One chocolate and one strawberry yoghurt.” Sunggyu said. After he paid for the ice cream, Sunggyu and Minseo sat in the corner of the cafe, by the window. “Thank you, oppa.” Minseo grinned. Sunggyu smiled back and ruffled her hair.

After the two of them finished, Sunggyu walked Minseo home. At first, Minseo said that she could walk home by herself (even though she obviously wanted the opposite), but Sunggyu insisted, saying that he can’t let his favorite junior walk home alone.

Minseo and Sunggyu arrived at Minseo’s house. “So, see you later?” Sunggyu smiled. “Ne, oppa. Be careful. Bye.” Minseo waved as she watch Sunggyu walk away, ruffling his caramel hair. Minseo rushed into her house and into her room. She threw herself on the bed and closed her eyes and smiled.

---

Sunggyu halted when he saw something unusual near his house. There were a few trucks and people bringing things into the house that used to be empty a few weeks ago. “I’m having a new neighbour..?” Sunggyu muttered and furrowed his eyebrows. He walked into his house to be greeted by the sight of his mom sitting on the couch, flipping the pages of what seemed to be a fashion magazine. “Eomma. Are we going to have a new neighbour?” Sunggyu nodded at the window. “I think so.” Mrs. Kim nodded as he stared out of the window. Sunggyu tilted his head in interest. Whoever his new neighbour is, he’ll figure it out later. “Right now soccer is more important.” He smiled to himself and rushed upstairs. Mrs. Kim shook her head at her son, smiling.

“Hoya, are you there yet? Okay, okay. I’ll be there.” Sunggyu struggled to wear his shoes as he was on the phone with Hoya. He walked towards his mother. “Eomma, I’ll be out to play soccer with the guys. I’ll be back later, okay? Annyeong.” Sunggyu waved. “Be careful!” His mother reminded.

Sunggyu ran towards the soccer field near the park. He saw Hoya, Myungsoo and Sungyeol chatting on the field. “Oh, Sunggyu hyung came!” Hoya pointed out. “Yah, where’s Woohyun?” Sunggyu looked around. “I think he will join us later since he is still helping out his brother in the restaurant.” Hoya explained. Sunggyu opened his mouth to speak but Hoya cut him. “There’s Minseo.” Hoya pointed out before Sunggyu could ask him. Sunggyu glanced to see a running Minseo behind him. “Hey.” Minseo grinned and sat down beside Sunggyu. “Where’s Woohyun oppa?” Minseo asked as soon as she realized Woohyun’s absence. “I- Wait, that’s him! Our chef Nam!” Sungyeol waved excitedly. “Finally our chef Nam came.” Hoya chuckled. “Yah, the restaurant was super crowded!” Woohyun collapsed on the ground, his head falling on Minseo’s lap. “Yah, Woohyun oppa! Get off!” Minseo jokingly protested. “Aniya,” he panted, “let me rest here for a while.” Minseo shook her head and let him rest. After a few minutes he shot up. Woohyun held out his hand to Minseo. “Kaja.” Minseo grabbed his hand and followed the guys to the middle of the field.

“Okay, so me, Hoya and Minseo. Myungsoo, Sungyeol and Woohyun you’re a team.” Sunggyu explained. “Yah, this is unfair! Your team has both you and Minseo. This is unbalanced.” Sungyeol protested. Sunggyu pursed his lips. “Okay, I’ll switch with Woohyun.” So it’s Hoya, Minseo, Woohyun versus Sunggyu, Myungsoo and Sungyeol. “Okay. Let’s begin!” Sunggyu exclaimed. With Sunggyu on one time and Minseo in another, it wasn’t an easy match. Five minutes into the game, Sunggyu scored. “Of course! As expected from our Captain!” Sungyeol cheered and hugged Sunggyu. Sunggyu chuckled. “We have to win!” Minseo shouted, even more determined to win the game. Minseo ran across the field with the ball. When she was near the goal, suddenly Sunggyu was in front of her. “Annyeong Minseo-ya.” He smirked. Minseo nodded lightly, her focus still on the ball. “I won’t go easy on you just because you’re a girl.” He smirked. “I know.” Minseo nodded. When Minseo was caught off guard suddenly Sunggyu tried to steal the ball but ended up tripping instead. Because of Sunggyu’s foot, Minseo also tripped and fell down... with Kim Sunggyu on top of her. Her eyes widened. Sunggyu stared back at her with wide eyes. Suddenly, Hoya shouted, “Woohoo! Score!” He grinned. Sunggyu quickly stood up and dusted his pants. He cleared his throat and held out his hand. You took it and thanked him. You ran to Hoya and Woohyun. Sunggyu scratched his head.

The game ended. Sunggyu won. “We were this close to winning!” Woohyun groaned. “I know right!” Minseo agreed and frowned. Sunggyu chuckled and slung his arm around Minseo. “Next time, guys. Next time.” He grinned. “He’s the Captain after all.” Hoya sighed. “Okay, guys. See you tomorrow!” Hoya waved. Minseo nodded and separated with the others. Her mind drifted to the accident earlier and she blushed. She patted her cheeks and shook her head. “Ah, I’m really going crazy.”

//