Pencils and Sketchpads

Coffee on Cold Afternoons

 

I smiled as the aroma of coffee greeted me. Sunny unnie and I seated on a table placed along the windows. I looked around. This is a perfect place. The view outside is very classic and warm. Few people were walking outside and there are no cars present. There are many trees in the view. This is going to be my favourite not-so-urban place in Seoul.

“This is beautiful, unnie! I never thought that there would be a peaceful and beautiful place like this. Are we really in Seoul?” I asked her. She smiled at me. She knew how I loved nature and peace.

“Yes, we’re still in Seoul, honey. The University is just around the corner.” She said.

“I just can’t believe it! Do many people come here?”

“Many in the morning. Quite a few people in the afternoon.” She said. “Students from the University like the coffee here.”

I looked around the Café. Everything is a normal scene. People buying coffee or bread. A couple of waiters, some bartenders. But there is one weird thing, though. There are no female workers. Only handsome men working around. Maybe that explains why there were some giggling students who walked out of the café before we come in.

“How did you find the place, unnie?”

“My boyfriend works here.” She winked at me.

A handsome young fellow walked over to us. He’s really cute. And he wears eyeliner that suits him very well.

“Annyeong, Baekhyun! Where’s Kris?” Sunny unnie asked.

“Kris hyung is in the town, buying supplies.”

“I see. I’ll take my usual.” She told the cute guy, obviously known as Baekhyun. She turned to me, “What about you Ssul?”

“Uhh… I’ll take cappuccino please.” I told Baekhyun. I smiled at him.

“That’s all, Baekhyun. Thanks.” Sunny unnie smiled. Baekhyun smiled at her.

I pouted as he went away and prepared our coffee. I was disappointed that he didn’t smile at me back like he did to Sunny unnie. I know. I am not the aegyo queen. I am just next in line. Sunny unnie is my older yet shorter sister. I am taller and younger but it is evident that she’s more beautiful than me. Maybe because I am still a cute maknae and my unnie is a mature woman now.

“Kris hyung, Sunny noona is here.” I said as my hyung entered the back door.

“Oh? This early?” he said as he put all the supplies in order.

“Yeah, she’s with someone.” I told him.

“Oh. It must be her sister.” He said then he went out of the staff room and went to Sunny noona.

Sunny noona’s sister? They don’t really look alike. But when she smiled. My heart thumped. Aigoo, Baekhyun!  Why are you feeling like this? She looks like an angel yet you seem so scared of her… I wonder what her name is.

I peeked through the door. Then I saw them. Kris is sitting beside Sunny noona. They’re facing her. They seem to be having real fun. Then I saw the resemblance. She smiled that turned into a laugh. A laugh just like Sunny noona’s, but the only difference is that it’s more lady-like. Her hair is tied in a loose bun. I bet she had long wavy hair unlike Sunny noona’s short and bouncy hair. She had thick red full lips, unlike Sunny noona’s curvy and plump lips. Their eyes are both small, but hers is more sparkling. Sunny noona is pretty. But her sister is beautiful. Not to mention that she had long legs.

“Baekhyun, who are you staring at?” Suho hyung’s voice suddenly alerted my mind.

“Uh. Nothing.” I said, moving away from the door and proceeding to arrange the supplies.

“You’re looking at Sunny’s sister, aren’t you?” he said.

“Ani! Yah! Maybe it’s you who’s looking at her.”

“Hahaha! Don’t tell me you like her?”

“Hyung! Stop it!”

~

I walked briskly to the University. Yes, I am going to be late. In less than five minutes now, Mr. Kim is going to be calling out the attendance. I better run now.

“Oww!” I hit someone and heard a voice. Why are you so careless Byun Baekhyun?! Look, you’ve hurt a girl.

I turned around to see a girl with long hair picking up her things. I helped her by picking up some of her things that had fallen.

“I’m sorry, miss” I was short of words when she looked up to me. She’s really beautiful. But somehow she’s very familiar.

“I’m sorry, too. I’m blocking the runway.” She said sarcastically.

“Aigoo. Please don’t be mad. I’m sorry.” I said.

“It’s all right.” She smiled at me. What the? Is she bipolar? Being so irritated one second and the other she’s all too friendly again?

“You seem to be new here. Do you know the place already?”

“Aniyo… Can you tell me where is Mr. Kim’s World Literature class?” she asked.

“Oh. I’m going there too. Seems like we’re classmates. Let’s go. We’re going to be late.”

“Annyeong haseyo!~ Choi Sulli imnida. I hope we could be friends. I am new here. Please be good to me!” I smiled at everyone. They all smiled at me and said, hello’s. I found the guy who bumped me frowning at me. Why?

“Well then, Miss Sulli. You may seat at the empty chair beside Mr. Baekhyun.” Mr. Kim said.

I found the empty chair easily. Because of course it’s empty. And it’s in the corner just beside the window. But the guy, who’s supposed to be Baekhyun is still frowning at me. And somehow, his face is so familiar. I went to my seat and arranged my things. I brought out my pen and notebook as Mr. Kim started discussing.

I looked beside me, and saw my seatmate. Is he, putting eyeliner? I watched him put the eyeliner on his eye. As soon as he was done, he looked at me and found me watching him. Then suddenly everything is connected. That guy is Baekhyun, the one who works with Kris oppa in the café.

As soon as the class is over, I hurriedly went to my next class. Good thing she’s not my classmate there. Whew. That’s why she’s so familiar. It’s because she is Sunny noona’s sister. Why are you feeling like this, Byun Baekhyun?! She is just a normal girl. No need for your heart to beat fast. It’s not as if she’s a monster or a witch or something. She’s nice, just like Sunny noona. She won’t do any harm on you, Baekhyun. Aigoo, first day of classes pretty much messed up.

Luckily, she wasn’t present in all the other classes I’ve got. That only means that I’ll only see her once an hour every day. But, what is this sudden sadness that filled my heart? Aren’t I happy that she won’t scare me like that again? Could I possibly like her? Aniyo Byun Baekhyun! You don’t like her. You don’t like anyone at all. You don’t fall that easily for a girl, right? You’re the toughest among your friends. You won’t be a slave to any girl. You’re strong.

The next hours for the day went the usual. I walked to the café. Where I work for my tuition fee. Good thing that my boss is so kind. He exclusively gives work to those students who pursue career in Arts. My co-workers are also students. I am on the afternoon shift. Here in the café, I always make the cappuccino. It is my specialty. All of us have our own specialties.

My world fell when I saw a young, slender, long-legged beauty entered the café. Why do I always see her? I wonder what she is majoring on. Probably she’s taking Creative Writing or Interior Design or Multimedia Arts. Usual girl stuff.

“Baekhyun, wait for the customer’s order.” Suho hyung told me.

“Which customer?” I asked.

“Sunny noona’s little sister, of course!” he said, smirking at me. Why is he smirking at me?

I swallowed a lump of saliva as I approach her. She’s in the same spot the first time I saw her. By the window. She brought out a sketch pad and a pencil. I smirked to myself. Interior Design, probably. What a pity.

“Miss, may I take your order?” I asked her. She turned to me and smiled. Did she recognize me? Hopefully not.

“Byun Baekhyun?!” she beamed. “I was right!”

“Y-yeah. So… O-order?” I stuttered. Aish Baekhyun! Why are you stuttering?!

“I’ll have cappuccino please.” She smiled at me.

I cleared my throat. “One cappuccino, is that all?”

“Yes.” She smiled to me one more time before I left.

I sighed as I make her the cappuccino. Why did she have to be my first costumer for the day? Why did she have to ask for cappuccino? Why is she making me suffer? I quickly served her order. And I quickly left her, too. What the hell is with her?

I watched her from everywhere I am. While waiting for orders, while making them, while serving them, what is with her that makes me like this? I was pouring the coffee I made in the cup when I looked at her. She smiled, admiring her work. F***! I silently cursed under my breath when I felt the hotness of the water reach my fingers along the cup.

“Take it easy, Baek.” Suho patted my shoulder. “Meet with me at the back.” He said, and shooed me. He took over what I’m doing and I went at the back.

“What’s happening to you, Baek? You seem to be really frustrated right now. Is there something bothering you?” Suho hyung asked.

“Nothing, hyung.”

“Okay, I want you to clear your thoughts. Go inside when you’re ready for work.” He said and left me.

What is happening to me? Why am I being like this? I am not like this before. Am I? I breathed in and out heavily. It’s not because of her, is it? She’s just a normal beautiful girl, Byun Baekhyun. You see lots of them in the University. Besides, she’s not even your type. She’s prettier than Sunny noona but she doesn’t even have the same voluptuous body. Besides, you don’t like bipolar girls, Baekhyun. You like sweet and cute girls like Sunny noona. And you don’t like those long-legged types. You like those who are a bit shorter than her.

I went inside again, this time, with clearer mind. I just have to get her out of my thoughts. Then I’ll be better than before. I continued my work, this time preventing myself from looking at her. Soon Sunny noona came in the café and joined her. Soon Kris hyung joined them, too. It’s already 6pm. The café closes at 7pm. There are fewer and fewer customers by now. Soon only their table were the only place where the sound came from. Now I can hear her voice. She had a golden voice. Soft, sweet and melodious. I bet she could do well in Conservatory Music. I wonder if she sings. Maybe we could do a duet soon. Well, Sunny noona has a good voice, maybe she has, too.

When the café closes, that’s the time that they went home, too.

“Baekhyun oppa, are you mad at me?” I suddenly asked. We were working in partners for the class activity. Since Baekhyun oppa is the closest thing I had to a friend, and he’s my seatmate, I got to be partners with him.

He looked at me in confusion. “Aniyo.”

“But, you seem to be preventing me every now and then. The longest conversation we had is when I go to the café. Apart from that, none. You don’t even approach me here unless we need to do so.” I guess I spilled everything out.

“I am not mad at you, Sulli.” He said.

“I wanted to be friends with you, oppa.” I told him.

“Then let’s be friends.” He told me. “But right now, let’s finish this assignment.”

We finished our assignment ahead of time. So we were able to converse about things. I thought at first that he doesn’t like me. But I really want to befriend him. He produces this warm ambiance when he’s around. And the café isn’t what I know when he’s not there. Maybe we are really meant to be friends.

Soon Baekhyun oppa and I started hanging out more frequently. During our classes together, and at the café. The café is the place where we hang out most of the time. Because he works there. And I spend half of my day there. Because that’s the time when I draw on my sketch pad. Sometimes when he does nothing, he would go over to my table and watch me draw. I figured out that they only do the things they specialize on. I wonder what kind of coffee does he specializes in.

Baekhyun oppa is a really good friend. Sometimes when I feel like I want to give up Fine Arts, he would be there to encourage me. When I have personal problems, he would tell me that all those are only challenges and that God would never give us a challenge that we can’t win. I am happy to have Baekhyun oppa as a friend in my first year in the University. Because Sunny unnie isn’t around always, and my boyfriend is somewhere very far, Baekhyun oppa is someone I can trust.

It’s a very special day for me today. Because it’s our monthsary. I wonder how he does in his university. We’ve been exchanging text messages, e-mails, and video calls but we can never meet in person. I walked to my class unusually early. But I am not the only who’s a bit early today. Baekyhun oppa is already sitting in his place.

“Annyeong oppa!” I waved at him.

“Annyeong Ssul! Why are you so happy today?” he asked me. He is smiling and I know that he’s very happy today.

“It’s a very special day for me today. You also seem happy today. Why?”

“It’s also a special day for me today.” He said.

“Really? Wow. What a coincidence!” I said cheerfully as I set my things and sat on the chair. I brought out my sketch pad and pencil and started doodling something since the class hasn’t started yet.

“Ssul, I have something to tell you…” Baekhyun oppa suddenly said.

“What is it?” I asked, looking at my work.

“Later. I’ll tell you later in the café.” He said.

“Okay!” then I proceeded on what I’m drawing.

Baekhyun oppa read a book as I was doing my thing. We were busy like that. Finals are coming! I just can’t believe that this semester is going to be over in just a few weeks! I’m going home to the province and live there until next semester comes.

My day went the usual, actually. And I am very happy because this day is just so cheerful. I am walking to the café to complete my day. One cup of cappuccino while admiring the nature. Perfect. I stopped dead on my tracks when I saw a familiar figure waiting for me by the street sign.

“Oppa?” I said. It’s unbelievable!  I ran to him and hugged him. He hugged me so tightly as if we haven’t seen each other in years. I am so happy to see him right now.

“How is my baby?” he said, kissing me on the lips.

“I’m fine, oppa. But you. Why are you here?”

“Aigoo. Am I not allowed to see my girlfriend when it’s our anniversary?” he said and kissed me on the lips.

“Oppa, don’t kiss me. There are many people here.” I playfully punched his arm.

“Where are you going?”

“To the café. Let’s go! You’ll love it there.” I said and I dragged him to the café.

We sat in my favourite spot. We talked for a while before I saw Baekhyun oppa entered the café with a bouquet in hand. Oh my! He must be giving it to his girlfriend. He did say a while ago that it was his special day. He had a huge happy smile plastered all over his face. He looked around the café and when he saw me, his expression changed. I wonder why? Is he mad at me?

Soon, he came back with a pen in hand.

“Orders, Ma’am, Sir?” he asked us. I was expecting him to say, “Hey Ssul, the usual?” or “Ayo wassup?!” or “Choi Jinri, what do you want?” or something like that. I didn’t expect him to be so formal and all.

“Aigoo, oppa. Why are you so formal? I’ll take the usual.” I said.

“Sir?” he asked my boyfriend.

“Water.” He said.

“Oppa! You should try their cappuccino! It’s really good.”

“Ssul, you forgotten already? I don’t like coffee.”

“Oh yeah. I forgot.”

“A cup of cappuccino and water. Is that all?” Baekhyun asked.

“Yes.” I said then he left. What is wrong with Baekhyun? Maybe because he will want to end his shift early so that he’ll get to his girlfriend already. His girlfriend must love him a lot! If I were his girlfriend, I think it’s so sweet of him.

Kai and I talked a lot. About him, about me, about our future. He said that he’s doing well in his studies right now. He also said that in our future, we could live somewhere peaceful, like I always wanted. He also said that we will have as much kids as we wanted. But I don’t want to talk about any of those.

“Suho oppa, can you call Baekhyun oppa?” I asked Suho oppa as he served our orders.

“Sure.” Suho oppa smiled to the both of us.

I turned to look at Kai and he gave me a weird expression.

“I wanted you to meet my best friend, oppa. It’s been five months and he’s always been a good friend.” I told me.

“I am jealous, Sulli.” He told me.

“Why?” I asked.

“You’re always talking about him. Ever since we got here.” He said. And by the looks on his face, I can tell that he’s really pissed.

“Oppa, you’ve got nothing to be jealous of Baekhyun. He’s just my friend.” I smiled at him and turned around to see Baekhyun. He looks as if he’s really sad but he smiled at me either way.

“Baekhyun! Sit here.” I commanded him and he obeyed. “Oppa, this is my boyfriend Kai.”

“Hello, Kai.” Baekhyun smiled at Kai.

“Hi, Baekhyun. I am Kai. Sulli’s boyfriend.” He said, and he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and kissed me on my cheek.

I looked at Baekhyun and somehow I was angry. I don’t understand. I wasn’t angry at Baekhyun. But I am angry at Kai. I looked at Kai unbelievably. He had this grin on his face. I faked a smile to him. I looked back at Baekhyun. Why is he so moody today? Somehow, I feel so shy to him. I shouldn’t be, right? He’s just my best friend and I am with my boyfriend. He could look at us while being so romatic and all. It’s not as if he’s some kind of a stranger…

“Yeah, Kai oppa, Baekhyun oppa is a really good friend to me. He’s always there whenever I need him.” I said.

“Thank you for taking care of my girlfriend.” And there’s that word again. Girlfriend. Why does it feel so strange right now? When it shouldn’t be. I am his girlfriend, after all. He smiled at Baekhyun who smiled back. What is wrong with these guys?

“Kai oppa, let’s go out now.” I said, and then I turned to Baekhyun. “See you tomorrow in class, okay?”

“Sure.” Baekhyun said and we left the café.

We were walking along the streets of Seoul on our way to my apartment. I wanted some fresh air. Why did it became so awkward back in the café when it shouldn’t be? I became aware of the fact that Kai and I were holding hands. Somehow, it’s not the same hands I feel so comfortable with. Then I remembered Baekhyun oppa and I used to hold hands while walking, too. Why Sulli? It’s not even malicious, is it?

“Kai oppa, why did you do that?” I suddenly asked.

“What?”

“You just publicly displayed your affection. And it’s in front of Baekhyun!”

“It’s our affection.” He said, emphasizing on our. “Are you shy?”

“Of course not. But-”

“You love him, don’t you?” he asked. I gave him a puzzled look. “That Baekhyun guy.”

Do I love him? Baekhyun is just my friend. And I only love Kai.

“Kai-”

“The way you look at him. The way he looks at you. You love him, he loves you. The both of you are just the perfect couple.”

Baekhyun is in love with me?

“Sulli. Get your mind straight. I don’t want you to end up with somebody you don’t really love. I was selfish. Because I want you to be mine and only mine. But I didn’t realize that you love him. Even more than me.”

He kissed me on my cheeks and ruffled my hair.

“I love you, Ssul. But I want you to love the person you really love. Don’t push yourself to love me. I want you to be happy.” He said.

Do I love Baekhyun oppa?

Words hurt. Especially when it came from the one you love. He is just my friend. I smiled bitterly when she greeted me. And her boyfriend Kai, they look so good together. I couldn’t even fathom the reality that Sulli is beautiful and she will always have a good-looking boyfriend. The way she looks at him. The way she smiles at him. The way they kissed. They are a perfect couple.

Today is supposed to be a special day because this will be the day that I will confess to Sulli. I even bought flowers for her. I hate myself for falling in love with her in such a way that I couldn’t even fall out of it. Why did I love her in the first place? When in the first place, it was evident that she only wanted to be friends. Byun Baekhyun, you’re such a fool for not knowing that.

“I’m sorry, Baekhyun. I didn’t know that she already have a boyfriend. Sunny never told me.” Kris hyung patted my shoulders.

“It’s not your fault, hyung. It’s my fault that I didn’t know.” I smiled bitterly at him.

“It’s my fault. I shouldn’t have told you to confess to her.” Suho hyung said.

“Aniyo… I never even get the chance to say it.” I said.

“Stop pretending that you can do it, Baek. We know that you’re hurting and you can’t take it.” My best friend Chanyeol suddenly came into the background. I know he’s on morning shift but he cut his class just to get here.

“I can take it.” I smiled at them. They gave me confused looks. “I will drop the subject I have with her. And I will quit this job.”

Before they say anything else to keep me from doing those things.

“I know all of you will stop me. But I can’t reconsider. It’s too painful that if I see her, I will only want to be with her.”

I cut all of my connections to her. All of my connections with my hyungs in the café. All of my classmates. I dropped my subject with her. I quitted the job. I changed my number. Only my best friend Chanyeol has it. And it will be a new Baekhyun.

I managed to live a little more peacefully when I left Seoul and moved to Incheon. I know, it’s a short distance but that’s the least I can do to prevent her. After that, I never heard from her again. My father and I started a business together. He understood that I need a break. After I finished the remaining subjects I have, I didn’t enrol for the next year. And I became a full time worker in the family business.

Our restaurant serves coffee and some pastries. Those things I fond of since the time began.

I went back to the café but I found no Byun Baekhyun there. The café is just like a usual shop that sells coffee. Kris oppa said that Baekhyun was very very sick. And that he won’t be able to continue studying now. So he went back to the province. When I asked them where he lives, they only said that they didn’t know. I tried to text him and call him all a while but I can’t reach him.

I graduated with honors. I am a famous artist now. I just opened my gallery last month. I walked around my gallery. Everything is so beautiful. Just like how I imagined it to be. There in the center hung my very first painting of him. I inhaled deeply. I never saw Byun Baekhyun like forever. Tears formed in my eyes. Why does it hurt so much? You’re stupid Byun Baekhyun, loving me but not even telling me. I haven’t even confirmed my feelings for you. And you just left out of nowhere.

It’s a dark afternoon. I decided to stroll around the streets of Incheon, just the right distance from my gallery so that I won’t get lost. Somewhere while I was walking, I heard a familiar voice. But I didn’t exactly hear what the voice said.

I stopped on my tracks when I saw a cute shop sign. Its name was written in a cute font. I took a moment to peek inside. It’s really warm inside. Then suddenly it rained. I immediately went inside so I would not get wet.

I went to the cashier and ordered a cappuccino and a tuna turnover. I took my seat by the windows. I remembered my college days. The café in particular. Where I do most of my masterpieces back in college. Everything brings so many memories.

Soon my orders were served. I smiled as I smelt the aroma of the coffee. I bet this is good. I took a sip from the cup. My heart leapt. Bittersweet memories gushed through me. I took a bite from my turnover and brushed the tears. This cup of cappuccino only brought memories of Byun Baekhyun. I ate my food silently while hot tears flowed from my eyes.

“Miss…” a voice appeared out of nowhere.

I brushed my tears away before I look up to the speaker.

“Miss, why are you crying? Is there something wrong with the food?” he said.

I smiled to him before shaking my head. “Nothing is wrong. This coffee tastes so good. May I speak to the person who prepared this?” I said.

“The owner of the shop prepared the cappuccino, miss. I’ll be back in a second, miss.” The waiter bowed to me and left.

I was staring at the cup of coffee when a man went near me. I looked up to find my eyes glued to the person in front of me. He smiled to me and I smiled back. As if on cue, he sat on the opposite seat of me.

“What a beautiful place you have here.” I said, not dropping his gaze.

“Thank you.” Was all he said.

“It’s been years since you’ve been gone.” I said. “I never even had the chance to tell you some things.” Tears started flowing from my eyes again.

“Why are you crying?” he asked, his eyes showed worries.

“I waited for you to come back. But you didn’t.” I sniffed.

“I’m sorry, Sulli.”

“Why did you leave me?”

“Untold stories should be left untold, Sulli.” He said.

I was shocked at his words. What the f is that? I expect him to tell everything what happened to him in the past years because I freaking care a lot for him.

“Baekyun, I-”

“Daddy!” a sweet voice filled the room. I turned to look at the owner and found a little girl happily skipping to Baekhyun. Baekhyun caught her and kissed her on the cheeks. She sat down beside Baekhyun and looked at me.

“Daddy, she is so pretty!” the girl giggled and continued, “My name is Jinri. I am two!” she said and held two fingers in the air.

I don’t know what to say, but I smiled at her either way.

“Aigoo, what a beautiful name. I am aunt Sulli.” I said. I looked at Baekhyun who seem to be a little emotional right now.

“Jinri, aunt Sulli is my friend back in college.” He said. Friend. Ouch. That hurts.

“Daddy! I want her to be my mommy!” Jinri told her daddy. My heart jumped at what she said.

“Jinri, aunt Sulli and I are talking, go back to Chanyeol.” He told Jinri. She kissed her on the cheeks and she ran off to the staff room.

“She’s a cute little girl. Jinri is-”

“Jinri is not my daughter.” He said, smiling. “He is Chanyeol’s girl. Not mine.”

For some reason, I smiled, too.

“I believe you have something to tell me a while ago.” he asked.

“Baekhyun, are you married?”

“I’ve been waiting for this girl I love to finish college.” He said.

Silence.

“Her name is Choi Sulli.”

 

 

End

 


 

A/N: Thank you so much for reading! I hope you liked it.
PS. To everyone who upvoted & commented, I am honoured, thank you very much!