Phone Call

Phone Call

 

Phone Call

Characters: Eli, Minah (Fictional)

One-shot


 

Minah’s POV

Today’s the day! He’s going to compete for the national oratorical competition. But I am frustrated with myself today.

I didn’t get to greet him a good luck for his competition because…I don’t know! It’s just that I’m not used in greeting him. Even during his birthdays, he will never hear my greetings nor I do. He also don’t greet me during occasions.

But! Fortunately, I am assigned to cover his competition! YES! Actually, I wasn’t the first choice but since the other journalist became sick, so I was put on the mission. But..he doesn’t know. He doesn’t know that I was with him today. Eli doesn’t know that I am here at the venue, will watch and support him.

My cell phone rings. Unknown number flashed on my screen. Thinking that it was just someone playing a prank on me, I ignored it.

Then, a new message was sent to my phone from the same unknown number.

Please pick up your phone. :(

That was what on my inbox. The same number called again and I thought that it was really urgent, I picked it up.

“Hello?” I greeted.

“Minah?” the other person said. It was a familiar voice but I don’t want to assume.

“Yes, why? Who is this?” I replied.

“Eli. This is Eli,” he answered. I knew it! It was him! It was ELI!

“Oh! Hello! Why did you call?”

“You,” he cut his words.

“Me? Why?”

“You didn’t greet me good luck.”

“What?! You called because of that? Okay, good luck, good luck!”

“No, don’t hang up, okay? I want to talk to someone longer,” he said.

“Call your girlfriend,” I retorted. I was feeling this tingling sensation whenever he talks to me but was covered up by my disappointment. I thought he would like to talk to me, just me and he said that he just wanted to talk to someone!

“I am,” he answered back.

I was shocked. Surprised, exactly. Okay, I know that he knows that I like him but..this is a joke, I knew it.

“Don’t joke,” I said seriously. “It’s not funny,” I added.

“I wasn’t joking.”

“Oh, right! You’re talking to a friend of yours that is a girl! Thank you for reminding me that,” I said while laughing nervously.

“I like you. No, I love you.”

“Say that to me, eye to eye then I’ll believe you.”

“How can I? I’m here at the competition and you’re at school.”

“Find a way if you really mean it.” I hung up. It was this tingling sensation that I like. Butterflies were also in my stomach. I like this feeling. I want to believe him, but not now. If what he said was true, he’ll find a way. He’ll find a way to say that to me, eye to eye.

Eli’s POV

She hung up on me. I know that she was not going to believe me if I tell her that on the phone but it was the only way that I could say it bravely. Everyone knows that I like her except herself. I like her more than she’ll ever know and longer than she had.

Flashback:

“Good morning everyone! I am Lee Minah, one of your classmates! Please be good to me!” she introduced herself. That time, I knew she was the one. She was the one that I will love for the rest of my life. She’s my first love, puppy love, endless love. And this happened when we were on our first grade.

My heart jumped in joy when I knew she also had a crush on me. This happened during our third grade. Our mutual friend told me that. I don’t know what to do. I don’t have any courage to confess to her.

Sixth grade came. I don’t know. I want to try to be in a relationship so I courted our first honor and she accepted me. No one knew that I was with her until summer. Minah asked me about my love life and I told her that. I want her to be jealous because I want to know if she still likes me. I heard that she cried when I told her about it. Selfish me. I hurt her just because I want to know what she feels about me. I broke with our first honor on May. Our relationship started March.

Grade 7, 8 and 9 came. I was still in love with her. I want to confess but I can’t. I heard that she had a crush on the school’s kingka. I was jealous but I didn’t show it. I don’t know why but I can’t confess. Not in front of her.


 

Back to present:

I called our school paper adviser. I asked her who will cover my competition.

MINAH! MINAH WILL COVER MY CONTEST!

So that’s why she told me to say that to her eye to eye.

I called her again and she picked up.

“Hey. Listen okay? If I win, will you be my girlfriend?” I said.

“What if you don’t?” she asked.

“Disappointed? I don’t know. But I want to win. Not because this is the national contest but because of you. Tell me your opinion about my oration piece after, okay? I’ll call you again.” I said and hung up. I don’t want to hear her say anything again. I just want her to listen.

I finished my speech and called her but she didn’t pick up. I tried calling several times. I want her to say to me that she was here. I saw her. I saw her looking at me intensely. I want to lock eyes with her but I was in front of three judges. Thos judges will be the teller of my relationship with her. I did my best. I just wish I win.

It was dark outside when I looked. It was not going to rain. The night was near. And right now, the judges will announce the winner.

“WOO SUNGHYUN!” that was the third placer. Other people were called until only I and Lee Kiseop were left.

“OUR NATIONAL ORATORICAL CHAMPION THIS YEAR IS…..” I closed my eyes. I wish it was me. It’s me. It’s me. I wish I win.

“ELI KIM!” I opened my eyes. Everything seemed to blur. ELI KIM! I heard my name called! I WAS THE WINNER!!!

“Please make a speech Mr. Kim,” the emcee told me.

“Thank you for the support of everyone from my school! Thank you God for making this possible! Thank you X-Descartes for the support! But mostly, thank you for the inspiration, Lee Minah,” I looked at the audience. She was there clapping for me but was shocked when she heard her name.

I went to the audience and pulled her up to the stage.

“Minah-yah, I love you,” eye to eye, I said.

She tears up.

The moment I want is coming.

The moment that I was waiting for 10 years is here.

I finally confessed.

All I need is to hear her answer.

“I love you too. Congratulations, Eli.”