Hopeless

Hopeless

Hey, do you remember this place? This was where we had our first kiss. It rained suddenly that day, so we tried to wait for the storm to pass. Surprisingly, you took initiative and pecked me on the lips when I ducked under the tree. You're actually pretty sly.

And here, this was where we went for our first date. Well, it would've been a normal date if you hadn't chose to go to a children's playground. Heck, you even played with the kids here! But I know you had fun. I can still remember your face when you played hide and seek. See? You're even smiling now!

Now here was where we got our first apartment after about two years of dating. We only stayed here for about a month because our neighbors...they were a bit on the strange side. You didn't really like them - and I couldn’t really disagree with you there - so we looked into renting a new apartment in a different complex. We ended getting the one we share today. I’ll take you there next.

Sunggyu stood with her in front of their apartment door. He watched as she stared at it, her face contorting as she tried to remember anything about it. “Well?” Sunggyu urged. “Do you remember anything?” There was a moment of silence as she stood there and stared, but she ended up shaking her head. The man withheld a sigh and smiled at her. “It’s okay, I’m sure you’ll remember.”

He unlocked the door and led her inside. As she made her way around the home, he followed quietly, hoping fervently that she would remember something. Even if it was just their first meeting, he’d be happy. At least he’d have a place somewhere in her mind.

“Sung...gyu?”

His head snapped up. She called him without an honorific. “Are you memories coming back?” he asked excitedly. She looked shocked at his reaction and smiled sheepishly in return. “Sorry, I just wanted to see if something would spark if I called your name...” Sunggyu’s heart sunk and his shoulders sagged. “I see...”

The two of them ended up wandering back to the living room and settled on the couch. “Do you want to watch a movie?” he asked. “We can watch Koizora if you want.” Her face immediately lit up. “Really? That’s my favorite movie! How did you know?” He turned away from her to hide the small smile on his face and grabbed the movie from the side table. Of course I would know your favorite movie. I’ve known you for more than four years.

---

After putting the movie in, Sunggyu got up and offered to make dinner. She watched him pad away into the kitchen, his shoulders seeming to sag in dejection. She felt bad that she was causing him so much pain, but she herself didn’t know what she did wrong. Somewhere in her mind, she really wanted to hug him until he was better.

She redirected her attention to the TV. The movie was introducing the main female protagonist, Mika, and her classmate, Hiro, in a flashback. She had always thought that the beginning of the movie was too slow, and so as she watched, she found herself nodding off. She was exhausted from all the walking Sunggyu made her do and she was mentally drained from trying to remember her memories from the past four years. Eventually, her eyelids became too heavy for her to lift and she ended up falling asleep on the couch.

---

Half an hour later, Sunggyu came out and called her to come eat. When she didn’t respond, he went to the living room to see her sprawled over the couch, fast asleep. His lips curled upwards and he walked towards her side to look at her face.

The woman he was head-over-heels for was absolutely beautiful. Her skin was flawless, her lips were full, her cheeks were rosy. Even though she had a faint scar above her eyebrow from a minor childhood accident and an out-of-place mole on her cheek, she was still beautiful.

He carefully ran his hands through her hair, wondering how she kept it so soft and shiny. He knew he would be taking advantage of her, but he really had the urge to kiss her. After three weeks of no skinship with her, he was going crazy. Slowly, he bent down towards her head.

---

She was dreaming. At least, that’s what she thought she was doing. Eunji was there, and so was Sunggyu. The three of them were hanging out at...a library? They were laughing and then she saw Eunji and Sunggyu exchange looks before her best friend got up and left, saying that she had to get home to her parents. That left her and the other man. There was a comfortable silence between them, and then, out of the blue, Sunggyu asked, “Will you go out with me?” His words sparked a flood of what she realized were past memories. They all flashed so quickly that she had a hard time keeping up with them. Once she thought her brain would overload, her eyes shot open, only to be greeted by Sunggyu’s. She screamed.

---

He jumped back when an ear-piercing shriek resounded through his head and throughout the apartment. “Yah, Kim Sunggyu!” she nearly yelled.  “What the hell do you think you’re doing you ert?!” He stared at her, completely shaken. What had he done? To her, they’ve only been acquaintances for only three weeks. What would she say if he tried to steal a kiss from her, even though she barely knew him?

He was surprised though when she tackled him with the biggest hug he had ever received. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled into his chest. “I’m sorry for forgetting all about you. I’m sorry for being a jerk that night. I shouldn’t have gone out with that guy without-.”

“Stop. I don’t care.”

Sunggyu wrapped his arms around her and rocked her back in forth. He missed holding her like that. He missed it so much that his heart was shaking, that his mind went blank. He couldn’t think of anything to say and could only just place kisses where he could.

“Sunggyu, I really am sorry.”

“It’s alright. I should be sorry. I didn’t put enough trust into our relationship. If you’d be willing to take me back, then I swear that I would be the happiest man alive.”

“Of course I’d be willing to. I love you too much to not forgive you.”

He lifted her chin and kissed her sweetly before pulling away and holding her to his chest. “I hope you understand how completely and hopelessly in love I am with you,” he mumbled, rubbing her back. She buried her face into his neck and breathed in his familiar scent. “I do. It’s obvious that you’d be a wreck without me. I mean, look at you!” They both laughed and spent the rest of the night in each others’ arms.

To be hopelessly in love is a feeling that comes with conflicting emotions, many insecurities, and unforgettable memories. I want to share all of those experiences with you. So if you’ll let me, I’ll hold onto you for the rest of my life.