Birthday Wish

Birthday Wish

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Sungyeol, happy birthday to you!"

 

Sungyeol blew the candles out happily like a kid. Well, it wasn't like he behaved like an adult anyways, but that was what attracted Myungsoo to him. They had met when the teacher made the two of them sit together in class. Neither started speaking to each other when Sungyeol couldn't take the awkwardness any longer and striked up a conversation. That was the time when he changed his impression of Myungsoo.

 

The other guy had been extremely quiet to many others but once you got to know him better, he was actually quite a friendly guy. As a stranger, you would've thought that he was the most mysterious person ever but as a friend, you'd wonder where that idea ever came from. Usually, few people could understand Myungsoo's thoughts - not even his parents. Other than a few good friends, many didn't understand why he liked to be in solitude sometimes and not make friends with those popular girls like other boys his age, nor why he had so many weird habits and preferences. They knew he was a nice guy, but everyone pretty much avoided him and not talk to him unless necessary. You may think, how could anyone live like that? Well, Myungsoo could, and he was quite happy with it. He was an observer, and could read a person he met for the first time like an open book, but chose not to. He seemed to be a psychologist, being able to guess people's thoughts and understand them so well. Before they start speaking to him, he already knew what that person would be like, and he knew clearly that he wouldn't want to be friends with such people.

 

Sungyeol, on the other hand, was quite the opposite. He was a bright and cheerful guy that everyone wanted to make friends with. He was sociable and popular, but not obnoxious. Unlike many others, he was caring and patient. Also, if there was someone he didn't like, he would still care for them despite them being rude and such. This was one point Myungsoo found very inspiring. He could never bear treating someone so well, let alone the person he disliked. Though Sungyeol seemed quite normal on the outside, he was actually full of weird ideas inside too. He and Myungsoo would talk about many things - from aliens to zombies to ghosts and sometimes even world revolutions. Also, there was something one would find difficult to spot. Sungyeol looked very tough, but he wasn't. He was a volleyball player, a very professional one at that, and you definitely wouldn't want to mess with him in court. However, when someone mentions a ghost story, Sungyeol would be found pale white and biting his nails hard. He had a weak heart, and was afraid of even the slightest things, especially anything spiritual. Myungsoo knew that too, and refused to let anyone open their mouths to talk about those sensitive stuff whenever Sungyeol was there, although it was one of his favourite topics of all.

 

They were able to communicate even without talking. This was how much they understood each other. During break, Sungyeol would hum songs and Myungsoo would find comfort in the other's unique voice. In one way or another, these two very different characters met, and very oddly, they could get along very well. Not that they were close because of Sungyeol's friendliness, but because of fate. As time passed, the two got more obsessed with each other and became good friends.

 

"Yah, Yeol, what did you wish for?" asked his brother, Sunggyu.

 

Sungyeol looked up. "It doesn't include you so I'm not saying haha! "

 

Myungsoo turned to him and asked, "Come on Yeollie, say it..."

 

Sungyeol stuck out his tongue. "Not telling~ It won't come true if I say it out!"

 

Myungsoo shook his head and sat back on the sofa. The rest of their friends, Woohyun, Dongwoo and Hoya, along with Sungyeol's brothers, Sunggyu and Sungjong, finished up the cake in a blink of an eye. "Hey, we're gonna go have a spin around. Wanna come?" asked Woohyun.

 

Sungyeol shook his head and said, "Nah I think I'll give it a pass. I feel sleepy."

 

Myungsoo also shook his head. "Me too."

 

"Well then, enjoy clearing up while we have fun, birthday boy. Happy birthday!" said Sunggyu mischievously before running out.

 

Now, the house was all quiet. Sungyeol took a bottle of wine and poured some into a cup. Settling himself on the sofa beside his best friend, he slowly sipped the wine while chatting with him. Cup after cup, their conversation continued. Soon, Sungyeol felt his eyelids getting heavier.

 

"Soo... you're so cuddly, you know?" he said while moving closely to Myungsoo and leaning on him.

 

Myungsoo was surprised at first, but ignored the weird feeling in him. Little did he know that the next moment was going to be even more breathtaking. Sungyeol closed his eyes and held on to Myungsoo's left arm. Then, he rested his head on Myungsoo's shoulder. "Soo... you're so warm and *hic* comfy keke..." he murmured with a silly grin on his face.

 

Myungsoo gasped softly, taken aback by the older's actions. He seemed to have felt butterflies in his stomach. Somehow, he liked feeling of someone holding onto him. Not just anyone, but Sungyeol. He thought to himself, was his friend drunk? Before he could think more, Sungyeol interrupted his thoughts.

 

"Soo...why are you so dense? Don't you know I've been liking you for *hic* such a long time? Isn't it obvious?"

 

Myungsoo widened his eyes. Did he hear wrongly? Did Sungyeol just confess to him without even knowing it? Did he hear what he thought he heard? His heart started pumping wildly, and he could feel his tongue get dry.

 

He looked down at the older on his shoulder. He himself had already lost the ability to breathe properly, let alone speak. However, he mustered his courage and said in a shaky voice: "Yeollie, repeat what you've just said?"

 

Sungyeol snuggled into Myungsoo's chest and mumbled: "I said I like you...Babo yah. "

 

The other boy was already blushing madly and couldn't get any redder. Luckily for him, there was no one around to see it. "Then...may I kn... know what did you wish for?"

 

"What else? For you to be with me *hic* of course..."

 

Myungsoo had been wanting to confess to him for a very long time, but couldn't bring himself to do so. He was actually kind of relieved to know that the other also had feelings for him and told him about it, albeit drunk. But being able to hear it from his own mouth was good enough.

 

"Yeollie, why?" he waited for the other to reply again.

 

But this time, however, no reply came. Myungsoo giggled to himself. The other was fast asleep on his chest. How dreamlike could this be? Being able to touch him without having to worry about whether he liked you or not, because he does. This familiar silence - the one that always occurred between the two of them whenever they play Sudoku together - was a comfortable silence. For other people, it would be awkward, but for them, it was something that they both appreciated a lot and found comfort in. Myungsoo, too, closed his eyes and tilted his head to lean on Sungyeol's.

 

Whether he knew it or not, Sungyeol's wish had definitely came true.