ALIEN

Alphabet Love

 

Love is weird, because it comes unannounced, and suddenly there are thousands of happy chemicals flowing through our veins when we see that particular, special person, whenever and wherever.

It’s a star-studded sky tonight, and as she walks home, Amber wonders how things have changed since then. She can still remember the very day she have met him for the first time.

“You have to walk me home tonight, Amber! It’s already late, the sky tonight is inky black, the road is so dark, I’m a very beautiful princess, so do you even have a heart to let your best friend strides her pathway home alone with monsters probably lurking around to get her to be their eternal bride?”

Amber looks incredulously at her so-called new best friend. New as in very recent, very recent as in yesterday, yesterday as in approximately 20 hours 21 minutes and 22 seconds. So yeah, life is weird.

“Krystal Jung, you’re being a child. It’s 9 pm. You can still see there are some people here. And what’s with the monsters thing? That’s so last century. They don’t even exist, those vampires, werewolves, leprechauns, and whatever magical creatures. People from the past just created myths, legends and stories about them. You see, there’s no such thing.”

And Krystal just looks at her, eyes narrowing, and mouth scowling. “They are real.”

“Uh-huh?” Amber huffs, arms crossed against her belly. “Prove to me then.”

Yeah, it does feel creepy when her new best friend slowly smiles at her, eyes twinkling with eerie mystery. Wow, it rhymes perfectly.

“Fine, challenge accepted. You’ll see I’m right.”

So there she is walking Krystal home, home as in castle, and voila, there is now a 6-foot man standing against the huge wooden door looking down at her. She doesn’t say anything when the man smiles so blindingly at her and she flinches because its radiance electrocutes her heart and makes those wild beats alive. Yeah, life is good.

“YunHo oppa, I’m home and I don’t break my curfew!” Krystal chirps.

 Amber can only and quietly watches how the said man fondly ruffles her best friend’s hair since her genius brain cannot handle multitasking, too busy to calm her erratic heartbeats instead of producing some decent words for her.

Wow, it is true then when people said being a genius really come with a price. Those flying colours exam sheets cannot do her any good now.

“Well, who do you have here, Krystal-ah? A new friend?”

Good for Amber though. Mr. 6-foot tall is doing the word job for her. And can he stop smiling so handsomely now, please? It’s totally unhealthy for her heart.

“Wrong, YunHo oppa! She’s not just new friend. Meet Amber, she’s my new best friend!”

“Really? That’s so kind of her to be best friend with a brat like you, Krystal-ah. Anyway, nice to meet you Amber, my name is Jung YunHo, this brat’s brother.”

Ignoring the full pouting demonstration in front of him, the tall man turns towards Amber direction, bows, and just swiftly takes her right hand and yeah, kisses it right then and there like a handsome gentleman he is.

Surprised? Huh, Amber is practically drowning in the sea of astonishment. Okay, maybe she exaggerates a bit. But yeah, this is the first time she is being treated like a, well, girl.

“Uh.”

Yeah, she manages to reply that intelligently. Well, she is currently in staring competition with Mr. Nice Guy aka Mr. Gentleman aka Mr. Handsome aka Mr. Pretty Eyes aka Mr. 6-foot tall. It is allowed since her brain and heart choose to be in short circuit mode now so it makes sense if she forgets 4 languages she used to fluently speak.

“Oppa, it’s so late at night now. Why don’t you walk Amber home this time? Poor her, she must be afraid of the dark and monsters lurking around to get her.”

That manages to get Amber’s attention because really, who was just 15 minutes ago begging her to accompany home because she believed it was so dark and there were monsters trying to make her their bride? Wait is that a grin on Krystal’s face?

Amber hastily takes a step back, trying to ignore the tingling feelings in her hands. Gosh, stop beating so fast, dear heart! And you too brain, vertigo is not really my favourite now.

“Uh, please don’t listen to anything Krystal said just now, YunHo sshi. I mean, it’s not that late. I’m used to go home late than tonight since I’m a cop – uh no, a bodyguard, I mean both. I mean, yeah, like that. The end.”

And she bows once, takes two steps back, counting to three and you know the rest of the story.

Amber sighs. It has been few days, 4 days 3 hours 2 minutes and 1 second to be exact since she last saw Mr. Pretty Eyes. It is not like she has been counting, it just happened that Krystal was kind enough to give her the latest news about her handsome brother all the time, practically being her non – stop Jung YunHo aka Mr. Nice Guy aka Mr. Handsome aka Mr. Pretty Eyes aka Mr. Gentleman aka Mr. 6-foot tall encyclopaedia.  

Well, it is not like she needs to know that Jung YunHo sshi works as a pastry chef and owns his own bakery shop. Or he can dance really well. Or he really likes children. Or he is such a good husband and father material.  

And worse, both she and Krystal are now even working at the same place and for the same person. JiHee, the president’s adorable daughter favours them and thinks it is kind of cool to have her awesome bodyguard and her sassy tutor together every time, wherever and whenever she goes.

So it’s kind of hard for her to not remember the very guy who managed to make her stone heart fluttered, and still is until now.

She starts to think it is Krystal’s fault. The falling in love phase with a certain Mr. 6-foot tall that is.

But hey, it is not like she is going to tell anyone about it. Or Krystal especially, when she tries all her best to be the little cupid between she and Mr. Nice Guy.

It is not like she hates it, but men never sees her as a woman actually, and Amber really does not want to remember how JongHyun literally begged her two days ago to be his pretend fraternal twin just to impress a woman with obsession towards guys with twin brothers.

And she still can win all those guys in her team over a taekwondo match with her black belt.

Wrapping the red scarf tighter around her neck, Amber is just going to turn around the corner of her apartment when she sees a shooting star. She hurriedly intertwines her hands together and silently whispers a wish, remembering those stories her parents always read to her of the magic of the shooting stars when she was a little girl.

And she lets out a small chuckle, somehow feeling a little silly at herself.

It is 10 seconds later when she realises what, or rather who she has wished for is right there standing in front of her, with black long jacket, pants and shoes, white shirt and matching red scarf as hers, looking more handsome than she remembers.

“Hey.” He said.

“Hey back.” She said.

It is then as she watches him walks towards her smiling that blinding smile of his that she acknowledges those hypotheses she has about him never really does justice to what the real him is all about.

And Amber is sure that she has finally found the conclusion to her question.

Because Jung YunHo is nothing less than an alien sent by the planet Mars to the Earth, with missions to conquer and win her heart away.