Broken Souls

Broken Souls

"Hey, Gramps!" Lee Hyukjae gazed up and found himself staring at a young and handsome male that stirred up old memories. "Who are you?" Hyukjae grunted, annoyed at being interrupted by a teenager.

"I'm Kai. I wanted to ask you why you keep waiting at this same place all the time." The young man explained, smiling once he was done. The emotions that surged up in Hyukjae's mind was unbelievable and though he was reluctant to confide in this stranger, he felt a strange urge to bare all his secrets to this seemingly innocent man.

Motioning for Kai to come closer, Hyukjae started his history. It all started fifty years ago.

At twenty-one years old, Hyukjae was young, talented and breath-takingly handsome. He was majoring in the dance industry and had mastered all genres of dancing, even ballet. His flawless movements attracted the attention of the International School of The Arts and he was offered a scholarship to complete his studies there, in London.

Overjoyed, Hyukjae accepted the scholarship and had arrived two months earlier to adjust to the surroundings. On his first day in London, Hyukjae had went to the beach and settled down on a bench to watch the sunset. And that was when it happened.

"Hey, is this seat taken?" Glancing up, Hyukjae's gaze slid up and down a good-looking male dressed in surfer shorts and a tank top. His build was lean and muscular and his skin was a flawless golden brown, a colour which Hyukjae would die for.

"Uh..sure!" 

The stranger smiled and sat down, suddenly introducing himself as Donghae.

"Erm...my name is Hyukjae." Said man replied before their eyes locked onto each other.

The spark that flew between them that day was enough to make them ignore warnings from before that relationships like this never ended well. Instead, Hyukjae leant in and started a conversation on their reasons for coming to London.

Donghae was here because his parents immigrated from Mokpo to London. After learning that Hyukjae was great in dancing, Donghae requested a performance which Hyukjae gladly agreed to. The way the latter moved and landed was graceful and elegant, yet there was an edge to it.

Once the dance ended, a loud round of applause could be heard and Hyukjae realised that Donghae wasn't the only one watching. Blushing, the blonde ran his hand through his hair before taking his seat beside Donghae.

"That was beautiful!" The latter exclaimed, seeming more excited than Hyukjae.

"Erm...i guess it was alright....do you dance?"

Hyukjae carefully watched the way Donghae's eyes dulled slightly and how his lips pressed together tightly and wished that he had just kept his mouth shut.

"I don't dance."

Hyukjae nodded furiously upon hearing Donghae's answer (afraid to aggravate him even further) before checking the time.

"Aish! Its already seven! The dorm closes at six!" He cast a frantic glance at Donghae, who smirked at him before offering his house as hospitality. Immediately agreeing, the both of them went to Donghae's house which was a looming mansion that took up a large portion of land.

Only then did Hyukjae noticed the many empty benches along the beach.

"Erm, Donghae? There are several other benches. Why did you choose to share one with me?" Donghae turned around and stared at Hyukjae, his brown orbs buring with intensity.

"I didn't realise that there were other chairs." Sighing, Hyukjae accepted his answer, though he was quite certain that it was a lie. Finally falling asleep in a guest room, the latter tried to erase any thoughts that warned of a tragedy.

It wasn't like he was going to fall in love with Donghae, so why bother worrying?

The next day, Donghae took him out to visit a fishing village in London that sold a wide variety of fish and the expression that Donghae wore throughout was fascination. Hyukjae found it rather adorable. Once the sun threatened to set, the two headed back to the beach where they watched the sunset on that same bench.

This time though, there wasn't much conversation except when Donghae rested his head on Hyukjae's shoulder, his eyelids heavy from exhaustion. Hyukjae had half a mind to just gently push Donghae's head off but he held it in. Something in him was telling him not to move but let Donghae rest.

"Hey its close to six. Do you want to run back to your dorm or do you want to bunk with me?" Somehow, the idea of returning to his dorm without Donghae was really unappealing.

"I think ill take your dorm." Nodding his head, Donghae dozed off and Hyukjae had to carry the male bridal-style back to the mansion.

"Sleep well, fishy." Smiling for an unknown reason, Hyukjae slid the door shut and padded over to his room, trying to ignore the burning feelings that were currently raging in his heart.

For the next few days, Donghae remained in his room without appearing and whenever Hyukhae wanted to visit the male, Donghae's maid would prevent him from doing so. With nothing to do, Hyukjae had went over to his dorm and packed his belongings before leaving to watch the sunset. Suddenly, on the third day of Donghae's absence, Hyukjae felt someone tapped his back.

Spinning around, he immediately flung his arms around Donghae's slim frame, his heart aching so badly for the male.

"What's wrong?" Donghae asked, obviously mystified of why Hyukjae was suddenly so emotional.

"I..I just really missed you." The latter replied, blushing as he finally came to terms with the fact that he was smitten about Donghae.

"Oh. I missed you too." The latter confessed and they stayed in their embrace before finally pulling away.

"So do you want to come back and bunk with me?" Donghae offered, earning a nod from Hyukjae. Giggling, the duo returned back to the mansion, their hands clasped together.

"Goodnight, Hyukjae. Sleep well." With that, Donghae left, leaving Hyukjae grinning like an idiot.

"I guess I've caught the cupid's arrow." Taking a deep breath, the blonde fell onto the bed and succumbed into a deep slumber. Unknowingly, without the pair of lovers realising, a week had past. A week where they either visit the fishing village or they played at the beach and did childish games like "Heart of Confession" which is mainly just showering your partner with compliments or sharing your thoughts to one another. In other words: chatting. The two lovers enjoyed each other's company immensely and now slept together in the same room.

All these were great things but Hyukjae still couldn't shake off the feeling that Donghae was hiding something from him. Yet, he was a person that didn't like to pry so he kept it to himself.

"Hyukjae-ah! Lets go to the dance club! They're having a midnight party."

Hyukjae glanced up and nodded at Donghae, smiling at how his lover was jumping around.

"You're pretty excited for someone who don't dance." He mused, smirking when Donghae froze and stopped his actions.

"I...I used to...d..dance." The latter explained, his voice wavering.

Oh god. Why did he have to go and ruin the mood? Uncomfortable, Hyukjae tried to make up for his actions by wrapping his arms around Donghae and whispering apologies in the latter's ear.

"I'm fine. In fact, i wanted to try something so why don't you go first? I'll meet you there." Donghae whispered back and the smile that soon graced his face warned that the latter was close to crying. Nodding weakly, Hyukjae stumbled off, shrugging on a loose black shirt and a black dinner jacket as he went.

Upon reaching the dimly lit club, Hyukjae took a seat by the front door to wait for Donghae before ordering a glass of strawberry juice to while away time. What was dancing to Donghae and why did he stop? True dancers that are training to be professionals, like him, would understand how much dancing means to a dancer. And he could tell that dancing meant a lot to Donghae so why?

"Hey, is this seat taken?" Hyukjae turned around and saw a beautiful lady staring at him and he smiled apologetically.

"I'm sorry but it is." The lady frowned slightly before flicking her glorious brown hair.

"I'm sure you could squeeze me in and anyways, who are you waiting for?" Hyukjae tilted his head and gave the woman a once-over - black shiny sleeveless dress that draped loosely around a slim yet muscular frame, stopping mid-thighs and a skilfully done up face that somehow resembled someone - definitely y but still. He was already taken.

"I'm waiting for a man called Donghae so please move away. I don't want him to get the wrong idea."

"I am Donghae, silly. Can't you recognise me?" Hyukjae gazed up, startled, before immediately leaping up and offering the entire seat to Donghae, earning a giggle from the latter. No wonder the 'lady' looked familiar.

"So, you're rather loyal, aren't you?" Donghas joked, smiling.

"Only to you." Hyukjae answered back, causing his lover to blush.

"Come on, enough sweet talk. Lets dance."

Saying that, Donghae sashayed over to the dance floor and started grooving to the beat. The elegance and gracefulness that Donghae exude was enough to captivate Hyukjae and almost the entire male population in the club. Gulping, Hyukjae made his way to Donghae and started swaying with the latter, their hips brushing occasionally.

"Tell me truthfully. Why did you choose to share a bench with me at that time?" Hyukjae questioned, spinning Donghae around and pinning him in his arms.

"Because i found you really interesting." Came the simple reply.

Satisfied, Hyukjae twirled Donghae around flawlessly and finally stopped his actions when the music slowed to a ballet. Though he desperately wanted to ask why Donghae stopped dancing, seeing that the latter was so talented, he didn't because something inside him warned that a tragedy would occur once he did that. So, instead, he confessed to Donghae that he was completely smitten over him.

Laughing, Donghae told him that it was rather obvious, even from the first day. That was unexpected. Shrugging, Hyukjae grinned at Donghae as they waltzed around before finally heading back to the mansion, collasping straight onto a king-sized bed. Their arms entwined around each other before they shut their eyes and fell asleep together, oblivious to what horrors the next day would bring.

Hours passed and the first to wake was Donghae. A sharp pain alerted him to his condition and he bit back a scream. Easing himself off the bed, Donghae stumbled to the toilet and slumped down onto the floor, his heart beats slowing.

"Hyukjae, I'm sorry...-" Tears streamed down as he struggled to hold onto his last breath, his last thought about Hyukjae before he succumbed into a deep sleep which he would never awaken from.

A few hours later, a sleepy Hyukjae strode towards the bathroom, mumbling Donghae's name when his eyes flew open. "Donghae? Donghae!" Squatting down, Hyukjae gathered Donghae's lifeless body in his arms and dashed towards the nearest hospital where Donghae was immediately placed in the 'Emergency Room'.

His heart heavy with worry, Hyukjae paced around the corridors, only stopping when a doctor exited the room.

"How's he?"

The doctor gazed at Hyukjar pitifully before motioning for the latter to follow him.

"Firstly, he's been dead for two hours and twenty minutes. Secondly, the cause of his death was due to a disease he contracted years ago. It has no cure till now and would only worsen once the victim does vigorous activities. Has the deceased done any sports or activities recently?" The doctor glanced at Hyukjae expectantly while the latter just stayed rooted to the ground.

"I..I used to d...dance."

It finally dawned on Hyukjae that the thing Donghae had been hiding from him was his disease. Griefed and regretful, Hyukjae ran away, away from Donghae, away from everything before flinging himself on the bench where he had first met Donghae.

"Donghae, I missed you so much."

 

-------------

 

Glancing up, Hyukjae stared at Kai with eyes that told a tale and a tragedy before he stood up.

"Young man, treasure what you have. You might lose it at the most unexpected moment."

With that, Hyukjae left the bench and went back to the mansion that he had bought when Donghae's maids tried to sold it.

the picture of Donghae that hung on the wall, Hyukjae climbed to his bedroom and closed his eyes in a deep slumber.

Strangely, that night, Hyukjae passed away silently while sleeping.

 

Till this day, some people could swear that they saw a pair of lovers dancing together at the beach, near a certain bench.