Chapter 6: Pass or Fail...!! Kakashi's Final Decision!

The Uchiha Katana: Part 1

Karina

 

“Sakura, you are tied to the post because you did not get a bell. Karina and Sasuke… well… good job, I guess.” Master Kakashi said.

                “Hn.” Sasuke huffed.

            “With a little help of your Kekkei Genkai, anyway.” Master Kakashi continued. I looked away, hoping that he wouldn’t give me away too quickly. “So then… are we all agreed that Sakura’s going back to the Academy?”

            I glanced at Sakura. She had a pleading look on her face, and was straining against the ropes tying her to the post. I sighed. Sakura was probably just wanting to stay on our team because of Sasuke.

            But Sakura could come in useful. She was intelligent and caring, most of the time, although her fangirl side of her was rather annoying.

            “So what do you say? Any last words?” Master Kakashi asked.

            “I didn’t get a bell, but why do I have to go back? We were fighting against you, a Jonin!” Sakura protested.

            “To tell the truth, Sakura…” I said without looking at her; I was staring at Master Kakashi in the eye. “He’s not just a Jonin. He served as an ANBU for quite a while, too.”

            “But then that’s even more unfair!!” Sakura cried, then stared at me and Sasuke. “But then how did you and Sasuke get a bell?”

            “They got the concept of this exercise,” Master Kakashi cut in before I could say anything. “And that’s how they got the bells.”

            “Concept?” Sakura was really being dense today. She was usually so smart, but…

            “Yes, the point of this exercise wasn’t just to get the bells! And Karina and Sasuke successfully figured it out and performed it flawlessly.” Master Kakashi put his hands on his hips. “Do you know what it is now?”

            I glanced at Sakura, willing her to get the right answer. But she really didn’t get it.

            “No… so what is it?”

            “Teamwork!!” Master Kakashi answered, as though he thought it was obvious. Which it kind of was… Sakura flinched in surprise, then seemed to be cursing herself for not realizing something so obvious. I mean, we were a team, and teams have to work together in order to do things! Duh!! (although I didn’t realize this until afterwards, either…) “Sakura, you went looking for Sasuke, although you didn’t know where he was. You ignored the fact that Karina had been closer to begin with, and that you could have asked her for help. Running off into the forest alone when you don’t know where you’re going is not a good tactic.”

            Sakura hung her head shamefully. “I… I…”

            “Karina finally got the point of this exercise, and asked Sasuke to help her work it out. Sasuke was reluctant, yes, but at least he agreed. Although to tell the truth, Karina’s probably the only one who should really pass.”

            “What?!” Sakura and Sasuke asked at the same time. I stared at Master Kakashi, stunned.

            “Hey, hey! Sasuke got a bell too, so why shouldn’t he be able to pass?” Sakura was indignant.

            “Because he didn’t get the point. He only agreed when Karina pointed it out to him, and even then, he was reluctant. So it goes to show that you’re just some weak, idiotic brats who don’t deserve to be ninja.”

            As soon as Master Kakashi said this, Sasuke ran at him, drawing a knife. Master Kakashi had him pinned to the ground in seconds. My breath caught when Master Kakashi pulled out his own knife and put it to Sasuke’s throat.

            “Karina!! Kill Sakura, or Sasuke dies.”

            Sakura gasped in horror, but I glared at him. “’Kay.” I said calmly, pulling out a knife. Sakura was staring at me with wide eyes, like she couldn’t believe what I just said. She probably couldn’t.

            But I had researched up on Master Kakashi, and so I knew he could be very tricky sometimes. So I had created an extra clone back in the forest when I was finding Sakura, just in case. And now, as I drew Master Kakashi’s attention to me as I held the kunai up high, ready to strike, my clone sped out of the trees towards Master Kakashi and Sasuke.

            Everything happened in seconds. My clone pushed Master Kakashi off of Sasuke while I cut Sakura’s ropes with a quick slash. Then, throwing the kunai on the ground next to me, I whirled around just in time to catch Sasuke as my clone threw him at me. I skidded backwards several feet from the force of the throw, then set Sasuke back onto his feet. Master Kakashi had gotten up by this time.

            “So you knew this was coming.” It wasn’t a question. I shrugged.

            “I didn’t know. I guessed.”

            My clone disappeared with a poof, and Master Kakashi looked at me thoughtfully.

            “Now what?” I asked, as Sakura came to stand by me and Sasuke.

            “Nothing. YOU ALL—“ He lunged at us, and Sakura shrieked in surprise and fear. I held up an arm, ready for the impact, but it never came.

            “—pass!!” he finished, his hand in a “good job” sign. I stared at him in surprise, as did Sakura and Sasuke.

            “B-But…!!” Sakura stammered. “You said—“

            “Don’t argue!” I hissed. Sakura ignored me.

            “Why—How—But—“ Sakura was stunned.

            “It’s true that those who break the rules are considered scum, but those who abandon their comrades are worse than scum.” Master Kakashi offered as an explanation. I smiled. He was cool.

            “Karina understands this instinctively,” I stared at Master Kakashi as he said this, surprised. I did? “And so I can’t hold you back any longer. You all pass! Team 7 official duties will commence tomorrow!!”

            He gave us another thumbs-up, and walked away. Sakura grinned at me and chased after him. Sasuke was staring at me out of the corner of his eye, until I stared right back at him. Then he averted his eyes and walked away, hands in pockets, and his head raised proudly. As always.

            “Hey!!” I chased after him, and whispered in his ear, “If you tell anyone about my Kekkei Genkai, I swear I’ll hunt you down and kill you. I don’t care if we’re partly from the same clan—“ I slapped my hand over my mouth. I had just told Sasuke my greatest secret…!!!

            “I already know, and Kakashi already made me swear not to tell. But why do you keep it a secret?” Sasuke was giving me one of those stares again. I sighed.

            “Go ask Sakura. No wait, DON’T!! I meant, if you asked Sakura, she would know. But I guess you’re not so intelligent…? Or maybe you should do more research. See ya.”

            And I leapt off, towards the ramen stand. Maybe Master Iruka would agree to pay for tonight’s meal.

            I knew I would have to tell my team one day. But until then… let them keep guessing.