Partners in Crime

One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it

“Why are you still here?” Victoria crossed her arms around her chest; her back rested on the metal piece t of the wide opened sliding door. Her eyes squinted slightly as the cold metal stab her bare nape, silently sending unwanted chills down her spine. But that didn’t hurt as much as the sight of her bright yellow daisies curtains haphazardly tied and tossed behind a wooden chair. Man…

Her newly highlighted gorgeous hair is now tied in a messy bun. She felt more like a mother in her confinement instead of a sassy model Eunhyuk was gushing over few hours ago. And it was all for the gluttonous appetite of the 3 men; particularly the one sitting in front of her, owning the balcony as if he master of the place.

Kyuhyun did not take her bait, sipping his cup of coffee as if times wait for him “This coffee is good. What is it called again?”

“It’s called ‘Time-for-you-to-go-home’” she added monotonously, stepping out into the confined space as she rested her arms on the rails, staring vacantly into the beautiful night. She just could not stand staring at lump of curtains anymore.

“That’s not how you should treat your fiancé” his lips soften into a small smile, almost angelic she would add; a side she had never seen before.

 The thing is, if she was not too tired slaving in the kitchen, cooking meals for 3 hungry men after such long and stressful day; most probably she’ll be easy on him. It was clearly not the case “How many times should I remind you that we are not engaged. We are not even friends.”

“Ouch! That hurts” his expression was stoic as he clutches his left chest, another failed attempt for some reactions from her before putting the cup of Joe down. “But you are right, we are not ‘yet’ engage coz you’ve not sign the contract. I stashed in my office after you emptied the mineral water and stormed out” he snorted, eyeing Victoria deviously “I need to do some amendments to the clauses. Once done, I will pass it to you for your comments and feedbacks.”

“I don’t think we should proceed with the arrangement” her voice was hesitant, fidgeting with her shirt hemlines.

“What do you mean?” Kyuhyun asked with a slight of force. Not amuse by the sudden change of plan “Are you backing off now?”

She heaved aloud, shaking her head as she carefully laid her words before him “It just doesn’t seems right lying to your family and friends” slowly turning to face the guy, Victoria felt dried up as she continued “Yoona is such a lovely girl and Changmin did mention that…” her words were left hanging. Her earlier courage to tell him the truth disappeared into thin air seeing Kyuhyun’s piercing eyes; warning her not to cross that thin line.

Silence slowly creeping in between them.

Then he stood up from the small wooden chair she bought from a flea market months ago, closing their gap. Mimicking her, he leaned on the newly painted rails “Changmin is a nice guy; a great friend. But he can be a bit over protective sometimes. I haven’t got the slightest clue what he said to you, but I assure you he has no idea what he’s talking about. I decide what I want. In the same context, I’ll choose whoever I feel fit the role of a devoted fiancé” he paused for few seconds before adding in with his signature tone; sarcastic tone “Though you are not the best actress, I’m sure we’ll be fine.”

“What about Yoona?” the words blurted out without restriction. She pressed her lips tights as soon as the words came out, cursing her lack cerebral control.

“What about her?” he asked, though nothing shown on his facial expression, Victoria can read the warning in his voice, demanding her to back-off.

But she already knew that her curiosity will be the death of her someday “She’ll make a perfect fiancé don’t you think?” her voice wavered towards the end; Yoona’s perfect smile, porcelain skin, luscious hair and bubbly personality suddenly came into picture.

“She’ll make a perfect fiancé. A real fiancé” his reply was short and curt. The he added in an icy tone “I will not cheapen our friendship by asking her to act as one.”

Victoria bits her lips, feeling the pain of her heart being stabbed by his cold words. She inhaled deeply before replying to him “Yeah. I guess it is much easier and cheaper to pay me instead.” She lets the words lingered between them, silently hoping for him to refute her accusation. But none came out. She closed her eyes tight and heaved. Then she turned around towards the room “It’s really late so I’m going in first. You can leave whenever you want.”

She took few steps ahead but halted in her track when a strong grip circled around her wrist and pulled her to stop “I need you.”

His words were sudden and unexpected. Just like her heartbeat; escalated without warning.

She froze in the spot.

The time seemed to stop. Kyuhyun slowly loosen his grip.

“I’m sorry” he said quietly.

“Me too” she echoed in a soft voice. She was glad that Sungmin and Ryeowook who were sitting in the living room were too immersed watching a variety show to notice their suspicious moments in that confined space. She slowly arched her neck towards her guest and saw that he tapped the rails with his long fingers, signaling her to return to her earlier spot. She obliged.

“I’m not good at asking for help” he finally opened up after a moment of silence.

“I can tell” she replied with a small smile around the corner “And I can be a bit dense sometimes.”

“True” Kyuhyun added in.

They exchanged silent glance… but burst out laughing seconds later.

“I’m sorry for prying on your personal things” Victoria said once their laughter subsided “I’m just curious.”

“Or were you jealous?” Kyuhyun asked bluntly.

“Me? Jealous? In your dreams” Victoria hastily replied, feeling unwanted warm sensation creeping on her cheeks.

Fortunate for her, Kyuhyun was too busy checking his phone to notice the tainted blush on her cheeks. After few minutes exchanging text with someone, he slipped the gadget into his pocket and added “Maybe in due time, I’ll share with you what really happened between Yoona, Changmin and I.”

 "That would be nice” she offered a genuine smile, though she’s not so sure she’s ready for answers to her many questions. But it faltered as soon as she spoke again “But I still don’t think our arrangement is appropriate.” She took a few steps back and settles in the wooden chair, staring at Kyuhyun for an answer.

“Tell me, what your biggest concern is” he asked, turning himself facing her, giving his full attention to Victoria.

“What if they found out? Wouldn’t it make things worse?” she let out a soft sigh, shaking her head as she spoke.

“They will not”

“Your mom is so lovable, adoring you wholeheartedly… and your father is such a sensible guy. It’s a mystery why you turn up like this” she playfully mocked the guy, surprised herself by how easy it was to talk to him.

“Haha. I didn’t know that you’re funny” he snickered.

“I’m not really sure what to expect from your grandfather though. But to tell the truth, I’m a bit scared of him” she pursed her lips, looking up towards the guy.

“He can be a bit intimidating, but he’s alright once he opens up to you” Kyuhyun nods “But we have to be very careful of him. He’s very sharp.”

“And there’s Donghae” her tone automatically soothes as she said his name.

And Kyuhyun didn’t miss it “I will not forgive you if you cheat on me with him” he tried to sound as if it was a joke. But in truth, he meant every single word of it.

Sadly, Victoria missed the hints and reply in a merry laughter instead “Yah… He’s just a friend.”

“You said earlier that we are not even friends. But here you are declaring you and him are friends” he continued sulking “I felt cheated already. He even bought you expensive chocolates.”

“Which I’m more than happy to remind that you and Sungmin finished it off” she added “Well, how could you call us friends when there’s a legally binding document lying around in your office that dictates my actions. Friendship is something you have to earn, just like respect.”

“If that’s the case…” he was about to riposte when he suddenly stopped mid sentences and smirk “Aha… I know what you are trying to do. But no, I’m too smart for such tricks. There’s no way out, my dear. I’m not going to throw that contract away” he gave his most devilish smile, emphasizing on the word ‘dear’.

“Well I was just trying” she let a sigh but her lips slowly curled into a small smile.

Kyuhyun extended his hands to her. She pushed herself up, before taking his cold hands into hers.

“Partners” his eyes were smiling.

“Partners?” she tilted her head, confused by the statement, feeling the guy’s grip tighten.

“Once you signed the confidential agreement, we are business partners” he gave a force, shaking their hands up and down.

She pulled her hand away rather perplexed “Why can’t we just be friends.”

“You and Donghae are friends” he rolled his eyes and added “We are way better. We are partners in crime.”

“Alright” she shook her head in disbelief at how childish the corporate leader was. Worst, she can’t shake off the thought that he was cute. She was about to add in when a loud guffaw erupted from the living hall. Sungmin and Ryeowook were laughing loudly, being ignorance towards the time.

“You know, I have nothing against your friends. But…”

She snapped her head towards him and narrowed her eyes as she said “Be careful of your choice of words. I love them dearly and I don’t deal with people who talks bad about them well.”

The jacket hiding his hospital’s uniform rustled as Kyuhyun raised both hands “They are great. I mean Ryeowook is bipolar, seems mild but on the outside, but he’s so aggressive in the kitchen. Sungmin seems a bit too familiar in the house; I thought you were lying about him not being your housemate.”

“So…” she blinked hard, wondering why the guy circling around the real issues; whatever it is. 

“What I’m trying to say is” he paused dramatically “you need to move out” he spoke carefully, expecting a big reaction from her.

But her response was not what he thought of “Not again” she whined, throwing her hands into the air in frustration.

“What do you mean NOT again?”

“Donghae brought up the same issue yesterday” she answered with a shrug.

Kyuhyun huffed aloud at the mentioned of his stepbrother “You did that on purpose didn’t you?”

“What?”

“Constantly mentioning him” he snorted.

Victoria rolled her eyes in annoyance, being stuck in such petty sibling rivalry “Whatever.”

“I’m not trying to scare you, but I believe grandpa will run a background check on you. And I’m sure he will not be too please knowing you are living with the opposite ” he tilted his head towards the living hall direction, raising his eyebrows when the boys had another row of laughter, throwing cushions at each other.

“You can’t be serious?” her face turned white; biting her lips nervously and stared anxiously at the two boys.

“I am” he nodded “And I’m just thinking of your best interest.”

“My best interest?” she arched her brows skeptically.

“And mine… You don’t have any criminal record do you?”

“Aside from the incident I almost kill you… I’m clear of any criminal record. Though now, the thought of strangling you is very much appealing” her voice dropped “I’m from a middle-class family, a typical next-door type of girl.

“Great. Then it’s all set then” he clasped both of his hands “I’ll make few phone calls.”

“No, it’s not. I really don’t see a point of me moving out. Your grandfather will find out sooner or later. Besides, it’s not like I’m staying alone with a guy. I have another roomie. Amber” Victoria confessed “Amber Liu.”

“A girl?” he asked, following Victoria into the house. Standing close behind her as she pulled the curtain and laid it off carefully.

“Yes. And if I moved out, then Wookie will be left with Amber alone. I don’t think that’s appropriate and fair to both of them” she replied with a big smile; believe that she’ll get away with it “She’ll be back soon.”

And right on cue, the main door creaked “I’m home” a short-haired blondie, dressed in checkered high fashion bright shorts, paired with polo tee and vintage vest stepped in “Oppa. What are you doing here?” she bowed to Sungmin “Where’s unnie?” she looked around and quickly raised her hand when her line of sight caught her roommate. Then she gave a hesitant bow when she saw an unfamiliar face standing next to her unnie. The guy was wearing an unreadable expression, leveling her with his eyes.

“That’s Amber?” he asked in almost inaudible voice, shying away behind her.

“Yes” Victoria nodded with a bright smile. Then she added in from across the room “Amber, I’ve kept some chicken porridge for you.”

“Thanks-unnie. You’re the best” she quipped happily, making her ways towards the kitchen.

“So that’s Amber” he repeated himself, sounding more like an annoying broken radio. “She seems nice.”

Her eyes brightened up, her smile was so big, it must be painful “She is. So, can I stay?”

“Nope” he instantly poked he bubble, stepping away from her and tapped Sungmin on the shoulder which kinda startled the older guy. Sungmin quickly got onto his feet, ready for his next task “Time to go” Kyuhyun offered a fake smile before turning towards Victoria who was standing only a feet away “Sorry my dear, your proposal is being denied. The only reason stopping me from calling the Movers in at this very moment is because it’s already past midnight. I doubt they operate at this hour. And if they do, they might charge double.” He gave Ryeowook a friendly bow. Sungmin did the same and waved at Vic before disappearing behind the door.

Kyuhyun strode towards the entrance “I’ll be discharged from the hospital tomorrow. Pick me up with some flowers” he raised his hand and gave it a wave “Tomorrow, let’s look for our engagement ring shall we. If we got time, we can even look up a new apartment.”

In split seconds, she reached out for the abused tabloid lying on the couch, clutching it in her hands and threw a straight hit towards the door. It hit the wooden door and fell haphazardly onto the floor, missed the target by an inch as Kyuhyun closed the door behind him.

He’s a ing storm.

Cold and ferocious; leaving trails of wreck when he left.

 “Who was that?” Amber stepped into the living hall, holding a ceramic bowl close, chowing the leftovers happily.

“A prick” she replied, picked the colorful mess from the floor and stomped her feet into her bedroom.

 

****************

 

“One more glass please” Donghae raised his empty glass towards the young bartender.

“I think that’s enough” the guy next to him interrupted, trying to pull his long stretch arms with the glass of ice.

“It’s not. I’m not even drunk” he shoved his friend away “What’s the point of me inviting a sober companion when I can’t even get drunk.”

“You’re working tomorrow” the guy clad in silver shirt retaliated.

“That’s why I need this one more glass” he quickly took the newly filled glass the bartender offered and chug in “Besides, you know that I’m good at holding up my liquor.”

Eunhyuk rolled his eyes as he relaxed in the high chair next to his best friend. He looked around and noticed that the bar was almost deserted except for few lonely expatriates enjoying their colorful drinks listening to the jazz music. The 5 stars hotel’s bar had been their favorite hangout place, member’s exclusive, secluded from judging eyes. But it had been awhile since the last time they enjoy the soothing atmosphere and breathtaking view the 33rd story bar had to offer.

“So, when are you gonna start talking?” Eunhyuk asked, sipping his 3rd glass of coke.

“I thought that was what we were doing for the past half an hour” Donghae laughed gaily.

“We’ve been talking about ME for the past half an hour. Let’s talk about you.”

 “There’s nothing much to talk about” he answered in much sober tone, sipping his drink carefully.

“Yoona” Eunhyuk stated curtly, not sure whether he should continue prodding of leave it alone.

“What about her?” Donghae gulped his glass empty, shoving it aside.

“What happened?”

“She left” he replied.

“I thought you guys were okay” Eunhyuk stated quietly, eyes drifted away in the beautiful scenery.

“I thought so too” Donghae answered with a bitter smile casted on his lips.

“You didn’t stop her?”

“I tried” he answered firmly “Till now I have no idea what really happened between us. One day she just announced that she had enough and wanting to move on. Saying something about being together, are holding us back from our dreams.” He took a sip of the plain water, trying to shoved the invisible lump down his throat “I tried everything to win her back” he paused, heaving loudly before he continued “But it didn’t work. Then, she left for the States to continue her studies.”

Eunhyuk reached for Donghae’s glass and signaled the bartender for a refill “Do you still love her?”

“I saw her today” he replied with a knowing smile, dodging Eunhyuk question altogether. A soft chuckled escaped his throat after seeing Eunhyuk over dramatic reaction “She was visiting Kyuhyun at the hospital. She looks good. As always…”

“Kyuhyun was in the hospital?” his tone was high, earning few stares from nearby bar workers.

“He caught in a minor accident. Just a scratch but the doctors are detaining him just to make sure everything’s okay” Donghae filled in.

“So, she was visiting. Did you manage to talk to her?”

Donghae shook his head “I stayed only for few minutes before I left with Victoria.”

“Wait! Victoria was there as well?” he inched his chair closer.

“Of course, she’s Khyuhyun’s fiancée” Donghae replied with a straight face, trying his best to hide any unwanted expression from his best friend. Coz god knows he’s damn good at catching details.

“So let me get this straight…” Eunhyuk tapped his long fingers on the table top, a habit he does whenever he’s in thinking cap “You met your ex-girlfriend visiting your step brother. Instead of taking the opportunity to have that long overdue conversation on why she went thousands of miles away leaving you miserable here…”

“I would not paint my story that gloomy” Donghae interjected but Eunhyuk raised his fingers to stop him.

“Don’t interrupt”

“Sorry” he shrugged, letting his friend continued.

“So, as I was saying, instead of having THAT talk, you left with Kyuhyun’s fiancé instead” Eunhyuk finished his sentences with a big question mark.

“Well, technically they are not engage yet. I mean, he proposed but she has yet to answer” he explained to his best friend “There’s no ring on her finger.”

“Victoria was clearly upset when you brought her to me. Let me guess, Kyuhyun was caught flirting with your ex-girlfriend, which if my memories served me right, she was also Kyuhyun’s best friend” Eunhyuk arched his artful brows.

“I think it was Changmin who was hitting on Victoria, making things awkward” he answered hesitantly.

“Changmin?” Eunhyuk stared at Donghae in silence. Then he shook his head and asked for another glass of coke “You guys are weird.” He took a sip of his cold drink and added with a wink “You know, dating me would be less complicated.”

“I know” Donghae’s lips curved into a much genuine smile “So what do you think about Victoria?”

“She’s lovely, a bit naïve but the sweet innocence of her personality just warms people up” Eunhyuk played with his glass before placing it on the coaster “Donghae, she’ taken.”

“I know” he answered with a whisper.

 

********************************

This is such a long overdue update. I'm so sorry for leaving it cold for such a long time.

I've been too occupied gushing over Kaitoria, my Kyutoria muse left me lonely... :)

Hope you guys enjoy the update ya...

And thanks for sticking with me...*hugssss*