Final

Thanks To

     He was backstage, still listening to the voices of the MCs as they announced the remaining awards when a coordi came up to him shyly with his phone and said, "It's for you." He wasn't quite sure what he was expecting, or rather who, but wasn't entirely surprised to hear nothing but silence on the other end.

     "Hello?" he said into the mouthpiece, but there was still no answer, only dead air. He pulled the phone away from his ear to hang up when a soft voice said, "Congratulations." He stopped, and stared at the machine.

     "H-hello?" he said again, not sure if what he was hearing was reality or just his imagination.

     "Con... congratulations. On the award." Again, that voice, but it couldn't just be his mind, it had to be... could it really be?

     "How did you get this number? Who- but, how?" His voice was slightly shaky as he spoke, partially from nervousness, partially from a hesitance to speak a language he hadn't spoken for years. "How are you, how are-"

     "It doesn't matter how I got the number. I... I just wanted to give you the message. From all of us. Congratulations. And... thank you."

     "For what?" He desperately wished that all the clamor of backstage and the crowd outside would just stop so he could properly hear the one voice he'd longed to hear since his return home. "Why are you thanking me?"

     "Because..." there was a long pause. "Because you've done a lot more for me than you realize. And I felt I should thank you."

     "I-That-You don't have to thank me. I didn't so that much. Where are you? Are you alright? I thought you were-"

     "Don't. I really shouldn't talk any longer. I just called to tell you good job, on behalf of all of us. I should go now. Good-bye."

     "No, wait-" 

     "Congrats, Beijing Fried Rice. I-I really couldn't be prouder of you. Thank you." There was silence again on the other end, and then the click of the phone hanging up.

     He stood for a while, all background noise tuned out, with that voice echoing in his head.

     "No, thank you."