Fame

I Hate That Name

Fame can change a person.

I’ve known Myungsoo since I was in kindergarten. We used to be the best of friends, we’d hang out on the weekends just to sit at the park and stare at the clouds, we’d sneak out at midnight to watch movies and go bowling. He’d dance for me when I was down. He’d sing to me when I couldn’t fall asleep. He was my other half.

But once he had the idea that he wanted to be a celebrity, a singer, famous, everything changed.

Instead of seeing each other every minute of every day, I’d only get to see him maybe once a week, if I was lucky. He would continuously go to auditions instead of hanging out with me. He would go to karaoke with his friends to practice singing, and would never invite me.

There was one instance where I thought that he was, possibly, the old Myungsoo that I knew and loved. This was when he called me after being accepted into Woolim Entertainment Company. He had said that I was the first person that he contacted after getting the news. I was so excited; I decided to throw him this big party with all of our friends from school and told him that he’d better be home at 7. Instead, he came home at midnight, drunk as f*** and with a girl wrapped in his arms, everyone else just kinda laughed at him and partied as if nothing ever happened.  And there I was, casted along to the side, no one there to mend my hurt feelings, my broken heart.

We didn’t talk much after that, he would be training to be part of a new group and I was still mad at him for what happened that night. We began to become distant from one another, not talking at all and only passing one another at school. He had gotten a ‘new’ name from his CEO, for the new group that he was going to be in.

L.  I hated that name.  Ever since Myungsoo was given that nickname, he started to change.  Because of that name, Myungsoo would practice dancing till his legs gave out on him. Because of that name, Myungsoo wouldn't eat for days.  Because of that name, Myungsoo turned into someone I didn't know anymore.  He always tried so hard for that name.  L.  I hate that name.  Because it took Myungsoo away from me.  His dream had plagued our relationship and had made it utterly impossible to repair. We eventually lost all contact when I moved to New York because of my father’s job. He moved to Seoul to further train with his new group members.

Crazy how changing one little thing in your life, changes everything.