SEVENTEEN

The One That Got Away

 

Nayoung’s POV

“Nayoung-ah, this house seems to be in a silent war.” Sunhwa Ahjumma, the oldest helper in my house points out quietly as she washes the dishes in the sink.

I stab my fork onto the pancake, shrugging at her statement. I’m not in the mood to talk about the cold shoulder I’ve been giving to my brother; not this morning.

Lately Daeyoung hasn’t been home. He’s been out for work and many projects out of town. We haven’t talked much to each other since the morning he came back from Paris. Either it’s in the office or at home, not much word we’ve exchanged. Simply because I didn’t give him the chance to speak or he didn’t really try to start a conversation. He didn’t make an effort to talk about Hyukjae either.

“Thanks for the pancake, Ahjumma. The maple sauce is delicious.” I finish the last bite of my pancake and get up from the dining table before giving her the dirty plate. Sunhwa Ahjumma smiles as she takes it from me.

“Look at the fridge.” She says, starting to rinse the stained syrup from the white plate.

Without asking anything I walk to the fridge. On the fridge door I can find bunch of notes. The handwritings are only belonged to me and Daeyoung. Immediately, I spot the newest one and take it off the magnet pin.

“Is having a direct conversation getting too much for you and Daeyoung?” she laughs without ripping her eyes off the sink.

She turns the tap off and walks to me, patting her hands dry on her apron. Settling herself beside the kitchen counter, she stares at me, ready to listen to whatever I’m going to say.

“Daeyoung is just a bit irritating.” I sigh putting the note aside to look at her. She looks back at me with a smile that calms me down a bit. Her eyes are so tender and heart-warming, sometimes I wonder why I can’t get a motherly figure like her as my mom.

Don’t misunderstand, my mother used to be like her, too. She used to smile weightlessly and pat my shoulder if she recognized the darkening aura around me when I was angry or sad. But not anymore.

Everything is different now. I don’t even know where she is, how she’s doing, or what she’s up to. I’ve lost her figure since six years ago when she decided to leave the house.

So much like Hyukjae. I wonder what mistake I’ve ever done to make the people I love the most to walk away from my life.

“But a conversation through the notes just isn’t healthy, dear.” She combs my hair through her fingers gently.

“I know.” My heart softens. “I’ll talk to him later, I guess.”

“Good. Now get ready, Jinhee will pick you up for-”

“Nayoung-aaaaahh!!” suddenly a loud squeak pierces my ears as I feel a pair of lean arms wrapping themselves around me.

Startled, I release myself from the suffocating hug and turn around. “Jinhee!” I let out a squeal. “What are you doing here? It’s Saturday, we don’t have works.”

“I know, silly. But Daeyoung Oppa asked me to come here.” She peers over my shoulder to see Sunhwa Ahjumma. “Morning, Ahjumma!”

“Good morning Jinhee,” she laughs at Jinhee’s stare knowing what’s in her mind. “Pancake for breakfast?”

“You’re getting lovelier every day, Ahjumma!” she gratefully gives her two thumbs up. Sunhwa Ahjumma laughs again and prepares her pancake.

“Daeyoung asked you to have breakfast here?” I turn to Jinhee.

“Uhm, no.” She grins. “Actually he asked me to accompany you to go shopping.”

“What? Shopping? What for?” I inquire, buffled.

Jinhee shrugs. “Daeyoung Oppa said he had told you already.”

“He had told me? About what? When did he... Oh, wait a minute.” Just then I realize about the note I put on the table.

 

Get ready for a banquet at 06.30 PM at Mr. Yang’s mansion. I have to attend my friend’s wedding today. All you have to do there is just meet Mr. Yang for a bit and tell him I can’t go there. I’ll text you the address. Anyways I’ve sent Jinhee to pick you up for the evening wear. Dress up prettily.

P.S: I’m tagging the chauffeur with me and butler Jeon is having a day off. Just go there by taxi or something. And it’s IMPORTANT. Don’t you dare not come there.

-Daeyoung

 

“Invitation to a banquet?” Jinhee purses her lips, her tone is more of a statement than question. I nod my head. “ for you. It must be really boring there.”

“Aren’t you coming with me?” I put the note back on the kitchen counter and down half a glass of orange juice.

“No, Daeyoung Oppa told me that this banquet is really, REALLY private that you can’t just tag everyone along with you.” she snatches the orange juice and finish it herself.

I slump onto the seat behind me. “But I have enough dresses. I don’t need one.”

“I know, I’ve told him you wouldn’t want to go. I know you’re not really a shopaholic but he insisted. He told me to help you choose a beautiful white dress.”

“White? Is that the dresscode?” I grumble. “It's weird though.” 

“Maybe he's just being attentive to you. Let’s just go, the weather is really nice and there’s just one thing that’s best to do for now.” She pulls my arm and pushes me towards my room to get me ready.

“And what’s that?” I roll my eyes already knowing the answer.

Jinhee beams with her eyesmile. “Shopping.”

 

Third Person’s POV

Hyukjae hops off his car as he fixes the white cap on his head. Wearing a white polo shirt that hugs his sculpted body perfectly with dark grey training pants, he walks towards the lobby of his apartment deciding to take a short nap before heading off to the banquet. He just came back after playing a few rounds of golf with his business relatives.

Inserting the code number to his apartment, he hears shuffling footsteps from the inside. When he twists the knob and pushes the door open, two males before him shouts aloud with annoyance on their faces.

“What took you so long?!” they practically jump in front of him.

Hyukjae flinches at how loud they are being. “I’m going to get warned again by the lady next door if you guys keep shouting this loud.” He mutters under his breath.

But the two don’t seem to mind this. “Hurry up, aish! Why are you wasting your time that much just for playing golf?!” Daeyoung scolds.

Hyukjae rolls his eyes as he slips off his shoes at the doorstep. “What are you guys doing here again, really? My apartment is not a base camp you know.”

Donghae looks extremely irritated at Hyukjae’s way of taking off his shoes. “YAH HURRY UP!”

Hyukjae almost jumped from the high pitched voice. “What the hell?!”

“Don’t ‘what the hell’ us! Hurry up you’re getting late!”

“To where?” Hyukjae asks with pure bewilderment.

“THE BANQUET!” the two roar in unison.

By now Hyukjae is already holding his hand over his chest, startled. “Can you guys keep your voices down?! AISH!” he tosses his cap to the coffee table. “Why am I getting late when it’s still two hours left before the banquet starts? And aren’t you two getting-”

“I’m ready.” Donghae cuts him off, pointing to the light blue button down shirt he wears. A black bowtie is already arrayed around the collar.

Hyukjae, who’s just realized his cousin has already dressed up, turns his attention to Daeyoung. “Then are you wearing that sweatpants to the banquet?”

“I’m not invited.” Daeyoung lies smoothly.

“What?” Hyukjae raises his brows, surprised. “But Mr. Yang talked about you a few days ago. How come he-”

But once again he’s being cut off. “I don’t know, I didn’t receive the invitation.” Daeyoung says impatiently.

“So are you going or not?” Donghae hisses, Hyukjae is asking too much questions for his slim patience.

“I’m going. But why are you dressing up so early? I’m planning to take a nap first.” Hyukjae is about to lay down on the couch when two strong arms pull his. “YAH!”

“Get ready! You have to prepare for your speech!” Donghae pushes him towards the bathroom.

“I can make it on the spot!” Hyukjae is now genuinely annoyed with the two. His legs are still sore from standing that long at the golf field and now these two are just being such a bothersome-

Click!

Before he knew it he was already inside the bathroom with the door locked up from the outside. Hyukjae blinks in surprise. What, what was that? When did they even push him into the bathroom?

“YAH OPEN UP YOU FOOLS!!” he slams his fist onto the door repeatedly.

“We’re not opening the door until you take your shower! Until then, bye~” Daeyoung sings cheerily while Hyukjae slumps his body onto the toilet bowl lid, cursing again.

 

After several fighting scenes, Hyukjae arrives at the banquet with Donghae at the very right time when it starts. The huge mansion is already crowded with people in their tux’s and dresses. Elegance is clearly being showed off with golden and red wine color dominating every inch of the vast room. They walk on the red carpet leading them into a large room.

Both the cousins are very eye-catching. Donghae is wearing his dark blue tux with that cute little bow tie, his hair nicely styled. Beside him is Hyukjae standing in his black suit, a black crisp dress shirt on the inside with the black necktie neatly set under the buttoned up collar. His dark brown hair is styled up to the side, perfectly showing off his milky white forehead and every curved feature in his face. He’s completely stunning all thanks to Donghae’s and Daeyoung’s forceful effort. Even though he hated the way they did the preparations for him, but he can’t help but like the result himself.

In no time, some of their relatives are already crowding over them, greeting and trying to open up a conversation with the young business men. Donghae would flinch every time people ask them about Lee Jinseok while Hyukjae tried to keep the calm smile on his face, trying to end the topic. But soon it suffocates them both.

As Donghae excuses himself to get some wine, Hyukjae decides to go to the back yard. Basically he doesn’t really like being ‘squeezed’ in the crowd and getting dull under the effect of drinking wine isn’t a great choice either. All he wants to do now is inhale the chilly night air outside.

 

On the other side, Nayoung is getting bored. She is just standing there in her off-white tube dress and doing nothing. Actually she really wants to just go back home as soon as possible, but she hasn’t even met Mr. Yang yet. He is still wedged in between the crowds of people, busy receiving congratulatory greets and such. Nayoung sighs once again. She doesn’t have anyone to talk to; she doesn’t really befriend anyone here.

Finishing her punch, she puts her glass on the nearest table and wanders around the mansion. People around her keep talking about business, projects and stocks; not really her things. She rubs her arms when the cold temperature outside starts biting on her skin. But it’s better than the circumstance inside where all the people try to do is suffocate you with those conversations, which generally only talk about money.

As she walks down the long corridor that leads her to an enormous back yard, she finds one beautiful fountain there. A European styled statue stands in the middle of the fond gracefully. The yellowy garden lights are dimmed completing the breath-taking scenery. She smiles a little, slowly walking to the end of the corridor to observe the fountain closer. Only the sound of her heels colliding with the marble floor is heard.

She notices a vague figure sitting on a bench not far from the fountain. Squinting her eyes a little she makes out the figure is a guy, his back is turned to her. But wait. That backside...

Her abrupt stop creates a squeaking sound from her heels scraping the floor. The guy turns around. Oh God.

“Nana...?” Hyukjae stands up, surprised.

Nayoung stands there inhaling the air slowly, her legs becoming wobbly from the shock. Suddenly she regrets her decision to walk to the back yard. She bites on her lip, she can’t take her eyes off of him no matter how much she wants to look away.

Hyukjae looks so stunning, so handsome. His pale white skin is creating a beautiful contrast with his all black suit, his pair of soft pink lips and his dark brown hair. He is simply mesmerizing.

“U-uhmm... I...” she stutters as her mind goes blank. Hyukjae looks at her intently, as if he could reach her soul even though they are standing a few meters away. Nayoung involuntarily shudders under the gentle yet stern gaze. “I should... uh... I-I think I got lost so...”

“I’m sorry.” Hyukjae blurts out quickly before she can turn around. Nayoung freezes on her spot as Hyukjae slowly advances on her. But he decides to stop, he doesn’t want her to be uncomfortable if he gets too close to her. He looks at her carefully. “I... I haven’t said that at the restaurant. Actually I didn’t even know you would be there. So I just... I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

There is a brief pause when Nayoung just shoots her stare to her high heels while Hyukjae looks at her with soothing eyes. Hyukjae is being his old self again, his eyes are still the window to his soul. Anyone can read what’s in his mind now just by looking at his eyes, which are practically screaming his yearn for her presence.

Nayoung shakes her head slightly to wake herself up from the daze. “I... I’ve got to go.”

Hyukjae widens his eyes as Nayoung slowly turns around. He doesn’t want her to go, but damn, he’s a pessimistic person. He can’t do anything without thinking over the risks first. He is afraid she would still go away even though he holds her to stay. He’s so afraid of rejections, he’s so afraid to see her tears again-

“Hyukkie-aaaahh!!” out of nowhere, Donghae shows up from the hallway behind Nayoung. A glass of red wine is held loosely in his hand and he looks drunk. “Oh? You’re with a girl? That’s new. Who is she...?” Donghae turns to Nayoung, slowly walking towards her.

“Lee Donghae... are you drunk?” Nayoung looks at him as if he had grown two heads.

Donghae stares at her with half-lidded eyes. “Whoa, you know my name...” he giggles creepily. “You know... you look beautiful, girl. What’s your name...?”

Hyukjae can smell trouble there. Trying to keep calm, he comes up to him to prevent him from doing anything stupid to Nayoung, but the next thing happening pushes his composure away.

“LEE DONGHAE!” Hyukjae’s eyes are getting big when Donghae loses his balance, cackling loudly and limply letting the gravity to pull him onto the floor with Nayoung under his body. The red wine in his glass is now splattered all over her ivory white dress. He was on the top of her.

“D-Donghae! Get off of me!” She reflexively screams as she tries pushing Donghae off of her, but he’s too heavy.

With one panicky motion, Hyukjae pushes Donghae until he rolls off of her onto the floor. Hyukjae tugs on her arm and helps her to stand up. “Nana, are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?” he asks observing her from head to toe. Suddenly the imaginary barrier between them doesn’t seem to be the biggest issue for him anymore.

Nayoung looks down, blushing. His grip on her bare arm is making her awkward, but it feels so right at the same time. “I-I’m okay.”

“Oh my God your dress...” he points to her wine stained dress. The red color is very visible against the color of her dress. Hyukjae glares at Donghae who is now pushing himself up into a sitting position on the floor. “This idiot! Why are you drunk?!” he can’t help but raise his voice at him. He absentmindedly takes off his jacket suit and drapes it around Nayoung’s shoulder.

“H-Hyukjae I’m fine.” She gasps. His jacket is still warm against her cold skin and his scent is lingering on it. God, it’s heaven.

“Stay here.” Hyukjae tells her as though he didn’t hear her voice, and walks over to the grinning Donghae. “Lee Donghae,”

“Yes, Lee Hyukjae?” Donghae grins foolishly. Hyukjae watches him closely, noticing that his face isn’t red at all and he doesn’t smell like alcohol. Weird. “Hyukjae... why do you look so blurred?”

Hyukjae tightens his defined jawline. “You’re drunk. I’ll drive you home now.”

“I’m... okaaaayy.” Donghae tells him with closed eyes. When he opens his eyes again he spots Nayoung standing at the corner of the hallway, shivering from the breezing air. He beams and waves his hand to her direction. “Aw, she’s cold. Come here, baby.”

Hyukjae turns to the flinching Nayoung and sends her an awkward, apologetic smile. He then returns his attention to Donghae and makes himself a mental note to kick him in the next morning. “Shut up. Let’s go home.” He helps him to get up, but Donghae pushes him away.

“Why are you so in a rush?” he whines, stubbornly looking at Nayoung. “Wait, that girl looks familiar...”

“Lee Donghae-”

“Ah, I know! She looks... *hiccups* like Nayoung!”

Well that’s because she’s Nayoung! Hyukjae holds himself back from screaming into his face in frustration. He doesn’t want to make a scene there. “Come on, get up.” Hyukjae commands, supporting most of Donghae’s weight by his arm. He looks up at Nayoung, slightly blushing because her petite body looks so adorable in an oversized jacket suit. “Are you... with your chauffeur?”

“H-huh?” Nayoung blinks at him. “Uh, no.”

“Then come with us!” Donghae chirps loudly. Hyukjae glares at him before fixing his eyes back to her again.

“Do you uh... want to go home? I can drive you home, I mean, well, your dress is ruined and all...” Hyukjae begins stuttering.

Nayoung clears softly. “Is it... okay?” she doesn’t even know where the braveness comes from to take his offer. She curls her toes, but for some reason she doesn’t regret her decision. Her dress is soaked with red wine, she doesn’t have anyone to take her home and doesn’t like the situation in the banquet either.

“Of course it is!” Hyukjae nods a little too quickly, before getting crimson red with his own response. “I... I mean, that’s if you don’t mind.”

Nayoung smiles sheepishly. Eventually she walks in silence next to Hyukjae to his car. Donghae seems like he is between conscious and unconscious. Once in a while Donghae would lose his balance making Hyukjae almost stumble forward with him. Fortunately Nayoung’s fast hand could tug on Donghae’s arm so they wouldn’t fall.

When they reach the car, Donghae is already clinging his arms around Hyukjae’s neck like a baby koala. Hyukjae frowns. Donghae was never this touchy when he was drunk. He can barely move his arms; Donghae is limiting his movement. In the end Hyukjae turns to Nayoung with a helpless face.

“Uhh... can you help me open the back door? He’s so heavy I feel like I’m carrying a pig.” Hyukjae mutters lowly earning another quiet smile from Nayoung and surprisingly, a kick on the shin from Donghae. “Owww!”

“Hmp, serves you right.” He could have sworn he hears Donghae whisper sarcastically.

Hyukjae stares at him with wide eyes. He's sure he didn't mishear. How does he seem so sober? Is he really drunk?

 

 

 

 

Oh! Donghae is acting out again! Hihi. ^^ Keep in mind that he's not ing Hyukkie, guys. He's helping him. Well let's see~

I'll try to update asap. Thank you for my lovely subbies and commenters; I'm looking forward for your comments, guys. It makes me happy :D

Stay tuned! And here's some bonus for you guys ^^

Lee brothers in all black suit :)

God Lee Hyukjae, haven't I told you that being too gorgeous is a crime? I SERIOUSLY love Hyukkie in all black suit. Well just saying. Imagine him like this at the banquet. This is why Nayoung was tongue-tied when she saw him hihi ^^