003 - Curious

Bloodline

 

 

I wasn’t supposed to be curious.
I should be afraid, but I wasn’t
and I don’t even know why.
Something’s drawing me closer to him;
I just don’t know what it is at the moment.

 

oo3

 

 

It’s him. The guy in the bus. The guy in the café. The guy in the mask.

I was frozen from where I am standing, motionless. He was standing just a few feet away from me, with that mask covering half of his face. His eyes were set on me, those mysterious yet frightening eyes pierced through my whole system.

My knees are already shaking. My hands are shaking. My mind won’t function anymore. I don’t know what to do. I am frightened, I am scared. I tried to shout but nothing came out from my mouth. I closed my eyes, and hoped that everything would be gone when I open my eyes again.

3..

 

2..

 

1..

 

I opened my eyes once again, and no one was there. The guy in the mask was gone. I looked around carefully, and once again, I am alone in this alley. I wasted no time and ran as fast as I can towards the building where I live, where I am safe.

--

“Eonni, here, drink this.” Saemi gave me a glass of water as soon as I settled down on the couch. My hands were still shaking, and just like what Saemi told me, I look pale once again. “Calm down, okay? I am here.”

I nodded, as I held the glass tight. I quickly chugged down half of the water in the glass, and closed my eyes.

Saemi hugged me tight. “Eonni, I am here. Don’t worry, okay?” she rubbed my back. “Now, tell me what happened.”

I shook my head furiously, as I held onto her tight. I don’t want to talk about it right now; I don’t want to remember how he stared at me, how he stood in front of me, how he looked like and everything in him. I want to forget him, erase him from my memory in an instant because he is scaring the crap out of me.

Saemi sighed, and nodded. “Arasseo eonni. Just rest, okay? Sleep. I’ll just tell Yuju eonni that you won’t be able to go to work tomorrow. Take the day off, okay? And about that job in Mr. Park’s convenience store, if you would ask me, I think you should just quit, eonni.”

I looked up at her. “W-why?”

“You’re getting yourself in danger, eonni. It’s not safe to go home alone late at night.”

“B-but I c—”

“No more but’s, eonni. I’ll talk to Mr. Park about this. I’ll just ask him if I can work at his store during daytime to replace you. Arasseo?”

“B-but I can do it, real—”

She scratched her head in frustration. “Aish. Don’t be stubborn, eonni. You’re my only family left, I don’t want to lose you, arasseo?” her eyes were already watery as she bit her lower lip. “Don’t be stubborn, eonni. I don’t want you to get hurt, and most especially, I don’t want to lose you. I know I am talking about nonsense, but I just want you to know that I don’t even know what will happen to me when I lose you, arasseo?”

I just nodded, and hugged her tighter.

“It’s still two months before the enrollment starts. For the meantime, I will work. I’ll try to save money so that you won’t be able to use up all of your savings.” She smiled. “I’ll help you in any way that I can, eonni. I won’t let anything or anyone hurt you.”

I smiled, closed my eyes and then drifted to sleep while enveloped in her warm and comforting arms.

--

“Are you sure you’re okay, Eunseo-yah?” Yuju eonni asked as she talked to me through the phone. Just like what Saemi said, I took the day off for today. Gladly, Taeji eonni granted my request.

“Ne, eonni. Something happened last night, but I am okay now. Thank you.” I smiled, as I sat down on the couch. I the television, and scanned the channels for something to watch to entertain myself.

“Are you sure? Are you sick or something? Do you want me to go there?”

“Aniyo eonni. I’m fine. Don’t worry about me.”

“Are yo—”

“Eunseo-yah! I miss you already!” I heard Soohae shout from the phone.

“Yah! Jinjja..” Yuju said. “If you want to talk to her, tell me! Don’t cut me off, Soohae. You.. Jinjja..” she sighed.

“Can I talk to her?” I heard Soohae said. I just chuckled at her silliness.

“Soohae eonni, are you there?” I asked, as I turned off the television. I just figured out that I won’t be able to watch because I think that this is going to be a long talk.

“I’m here, Eunseo-yah. There’s something that I am going to tell you~” she said in a giddy tone.

“What is it?”

“You know that guy in the black hoodie that went to the café yesterday? The one with the mask? He’s here today. He kept on looking around, and he won’t settle down on his seat. Maybe he’s looking for you, Eunseo.” She chuckled. “Looks like you’ve got an admirer, eo?”

I was at lost for words. I don’t know what to say. The same feeling that I felt last night came back, but it wasn’t that intense anymore. Instead, I felt curious. What does he need from me?

“Eunseo-yah, are you still there? Eunseo? Eunseo? Yoboseyo?”

“I-I’m still here eonni.”

“Good thing, because you know what? He just approached Yuju right now, and he really is looking for you. He even asked Yuju your name, and.. wait.” She stopped. It looks like she’s eavesdropping to their conversation. “Yoboseyo? Are you still there?”

“Ne.”

“So, yeah. He asked Yuju your name, and she refused. This is exactly what she said: ‘I won’t be telling you her name just because she isn’t here. I’m not going to sell my friend to you. If you really wanted to know her name, you should’ve looked into her name tag. See this?’ she pointed at her nametag. And guess what the guy did? His just smiled and told her that you weren’t wearing your nametag yesterday and she shut up.” She chuckled. “Yuju’s a bit overprotective of you, you know? You should thank her.”

I smiled. “Ne eonni. I’m so lucky to have the two of you.”

 “Of cour— I’ll hang up now, arasseo? Taeji is already coming, the witch is coming. She might get mad. Bye, take care.” She hung up.

 I shook my head in amusement as I placed my phone back in my pocket. I lied down

I placed my phone back in my pocket as I lie down on the couch.

What Soohae told me was a bit disturbing. That creepy guy who scared the hell out of me last night asked for my name? Now, that is confusing.

I shook my head, trying to get that thought out of my mind. I suddenly remembered that I need to do the grocery today.

I quickly stood up and wore my sneakers. I got my backpack from my room and went out of the apartment.

--

“Now, where are the vegetables..” I quickly scanned the supermarket as I pushed my cart. I seldom do the groceries because of my jobs, Saemi usually does it. Now that I took the day off, I thought that maybe it’s time for me to do it. I reached the portion of the supermarket where the vegetables and fruits are, and started to fill the cart with everything that is written on the list.

I got tried to get all of the things listed on the piece of paper in my hands. Saemi wrote it a while ago and left it hanging on the refrigerator’s door, so that she’ll be able to drop by the supermarket when she gets home, but I don’ want to burden her more. She’s working now, and I don’t want her to get as tired as I was before I quit my job in the convenience store.

Just when I was about to get the last piece cabbage from the shelf, another hand grabbed it. I looked up, and my eyes widened with what I saw.

It’s him. The guy in the bus. The guy in the café. The guy in the mask.

He quickly removed his mask, and gave me a small smile. “Is this what you want?” he asked, referring to the cabbage he is holding.

“O-oh..” I gulped. “N-ne.”

He gave me the cabbage. “Here, you can have it. I’ll just go back tomorrow.”

I nodded awkwardly and bowed. “K-kamsa hamnida.” I placed the cabbage inside the cart and started to push it as I walk. Weird, I thought. Instead of feeling scared, I felt interested. I felt curious. How come..?

“Wait, miss.”

I stopped in my tracks and turned around to face him. I raised an eyebrow. “N-ne?”

He walked towards me, as he scratched his head. “I-I know I scared you yesterday, with the way I looked at you. And I want to say sorry. By the way,” he offered his hand for a handshake. “I am Jung Daehyun. What about you? Can I know your name?”

I awkwardly shook his hand. “E-eunseo. I-I am Cha Eunseo. I-it’s nice to meet you, Daehyun.”

He smiled. “I-it’s very nice to know your name, Eunseo. I came to the coffee shop where you’re working but you weren’t there. Are you okay? The other girl in the counter said you were a little sick and I was worried.”

I just nodded. “N-ne. Thank you for your concern, but I really have to go.” I bowed at him and started to push my cart away.

“Wait,” He held my arm. I faced him, and raised my eyebrow. What does he want this time? “Will you go to work tomorrow?”

I frowned. “Why?”

“I was thinking of dropping by and I want to see you again.” He smiled shyly, as he rubbed the back of his neck. “If it’s okay.. Because if you don’t want me to go, I won’t.” he smiled.

His smile. It draws me closer to him. It looks like something that I can’t refuse to..  Curiosity fueled me up, and I can’t even bother to say no. No matter how much I wanted to refuse and decline his request, the more my mouth won’t cooperate.

I wasn’t supposed to be curious. I should be afraid, but I wasn’t and I don’t even know why. Something’s drawing me closer to him; I just don’t know what it is at the moment.

I gulped. “O-okay..” I scratched my head and bit my lower lip.

“I’m sorry, but am I creeping you out?”

I wrinkled my nose, and nodded. “Y-yes. You’re a bit scary…” I looked down at my cart. “I don’t even know you that much and you kept on saying these things to me..”

He nodded and scratched his head. He bowed. “Jesonghamnida. I didn’t mean to scare you. I won’t do it again next time.”

Just in case there is a next time, I thought. I looked back at him, and nodded. “Gwaenchana. What’s done is done. We can’t do anything about it now.”

He smiled. “I want to get to know you more, Eunseo. Please, give me a chance.”

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. I wanted to refuse, but once again, my curiosity won over me. It was supposed to sound scary— hearing it from a guy you’ve only met thrice, who followed you the other night, and to wrap it up, to hear it from a total stranger who handed you the cabbage you needed. Stupid mouth, I thought. Why won’t you cooperate?

He tilted his head to the side as he rubbed his neck. “Does your silence mean yes?” he bit his lower lip. “Or a no?”

I nodded. “Sure..” I said, and then bit my lower lip as I looked down.

He smiled widely. Happiness was written all over his face, and he almost jumped from where he is. Weird guy, I thought. “Kamsa kamnida, Eunseo-ssi.” He bowed at me.

I nodded. “N-ne. You’re welcome, “ I bowed at him and then gave him an apologetic smile. “I really need to go. It was really nice to meet you, Daehyun.” I started to push my cart as I walk away.

He smiled. “Nice to meet you too, Eunseo. See you soon.” He waved at me as he watched me leave.

 

 

 

Curiosity killed the cat. And yes, I think I’ll die soon if I won’t stop this craziness.