The Finished Task

Soul Sister

 

Solji clasped her bow and arrow together so tightly that it might have snapped if it weren't for her younger sister who moved forward into battle mode. In her puffy black and green dress and knee-high army boots, Min easily slid the arrow that was wedged in between her suspender and her inner thigh, she aimed and fired three arrows which hit all three targets and Solji was safe to run off to their side.

 

"HOW DO THEY EXPECT US TO KILL THIS GODDAMN THING WHEN ITS HEADS KEEP MULTIPLYING LIKE FREAKING RABBITS!?" Solji screamed over to Min as she and Youngjae headed for cover under a nearby boulder. Only Min knew how to kill the Cerberus but she too was having a mental breakdown after she checked her empty barrel of arrows that were supposed to keep them alive for a bit longer.

 

Min dodged the heads as they pierced through the dirt of the ground. The reign of terror swooped over her head as she ducked once again and swiftly army crawled out of the creature's peripheral vision. 

 

Ah man, last time I crawled in this was when I got drugged by that stupid valet guy. I am going to kick his once we get out of here. Min screeched as her shoulder took a blow from the Cerberus' twin heads. 

 

"Minyounggie, get your sorry little back here now!" A distant authoritative voice commanded.

 

"Wait, unnie- give me the left over candy," replied Min. After a ear splitting howl from the Cerberus, Min unblocked her ears and shook her head side-ways to release herself from the excess blockage.

 

"What candy!?" Solji shouted back.

 

"I know you bought some candy after I left unnie, come on, roll it over now before we all get eaten alive!" After another meaningless argument, the older sister rummaged through her pockets and tossed over the sherbet candies with a worried look.

 

Min smirked calamitously in acknowledgement of what was about to go down as the possibly the bravest thing she would ever do as a teenager. The flat palm of her hand balanced the candy as she went charging towards the Cerberus with its six heads and counting that bowed down with its salivated hungry mouth open and ready to consume all in its path. The short teenager let out a snort before she extended her arm, replicating a sword as she plunged the candies into the middle head's mouth then retracted her hand back as its jaws snapped closed. It gulped it down whole which signified that the deed was done. The Cerberus collapsed, bringing down the facade reign of terror down with it.

 

Min's knowledge of combat related games paid off really well. Solji, who was squeezing Youngjae's hand extremely tightly, blinked unbelievably and jumped over the boulder and rushed over to Min who stood there in her triumphant stance with an accomplished broad grin on her face.

 

"What.The.Hell.Just.Happened?" She breathed airily now and her heart slowed down a bit, after all she was growing lazy for her age.

 

"The candies were the same sherbet ones that idiot Myungsoo drugged me with, so I thought it would have the same effect on the hell dogs," she continued to smile widely and whistled as she glanced over at the creature temporarily asleep on the floor. Solji broke into a small relieved smile too and ruffled Min's hair.

 

"Minyounggie, if you were dead- I swear I would've killed you! You stupid but brave ." Solji messed up her hair again and Min smacked Solji's backside playfully. "Let's get out of here."

 

Youngjae walked over to them with his hands behind his back and the party of three seemed ultimately at ease while they exited Paradise safely.

 


 

Back in Seoul, South Korea, Earth; early morning 


It was the fresh air of the Chuseok season that hit their faces first, then the familiar melody of K-pop and A-pop tunes was heard from shops and restaurants they walked by.  

 

“Let’s go celebrate!” Min twirled around Solji and Youngjae. “What are we celebrating for? Chuseok was two days ago.” Solji yawned and hit her head lightly to wake herself up. "Ok we'll do it. But don’t wander off this time or take candies from strangers or the foot path okay Minyounggie?”

 

"I wouldn't even dream of it," she deadpanned, then her face upturned into a smile and off she went into the parade with heaps of traditional Korean sweets in her hands.

 

"We're lucky that the parades are still running even after Chuseok. Ugh, little sisters." Solji leaned her back against the wall outside a mini mart and closed her eyes in an attempt to calm herself since she remembered that she accepted the offer to take up the night shifts at work which was later that night.

 

In the wake of her transcendent thoughts Solji heard an unexpected cry that stemmed from Youngjae who leaned on the wall next to her. In this brief moment, she wondered why he was crying with a smile on his face; Youngjae's composure hardly ever faltered in her midst but her eyes didn't fail her this time. Youngjae was truly crying while smiling.

 

"A-are you ok?" Her little sister's stutter must have seeped into her body without her noticing. Why did I ask that? Of course he doesn't look ok! She picked at her skin and looked into the distance while she waited for an answer.   

 

"They are tears." He acknowledged with a gracious smile. "When a man laughs, it is used to mask the inner sadness that he possesses. When he cries, it is the opposite; he feels content at heart with what he has experienced or seen; this undying love a woman has for her younger sister. It will always be admired by him for he was never close with his older brother."

 

Solji peered at him with a shifty look on her face, she was curious to why he decided to speak in third person all of a sudden. While gazing furtively, she vaguely saw Youngjae's left eye closing before his right and slyly grinned before turning her feet towards him; something caught her eye that second, an overwhelming sense of affection.

 

She tip-toed closer over him and pressed him even closer to the wall he had his back on; she didn't care about the mini-mart right close by, nor did she care for the people who passed by this oddity. She stepped in closer, placing the palms of her cold hands on Youngjae's warm, moist face and his face burned up even more now that her face was so close to his and her hands cautiously and gently rubbed off the tears from under his eyes. She looked at him with a brave but petrified stare, then she let go of his cheeks and wrapped her arms around his waist in a suffocating hug which made him rock side to side in mere silence.

 

Solji bit her bottom lip and held her strong gaze with his eyes once her head swiveled up and she stopped squishing him. He breathed exasperatedly and her eyes expanded instantaneously when her eyes drifted to how pressed up they were against each other. "Uh-oh..." She fled off to what he presumably thought was to search for Min again.

 

Despite his ability to adapt to most complex situations, Youngjae was still standing there, scratching his left ear, and trying to analyze his first real skin-ship with a woman.

 


 

Author’s ramble: thank you subscribers, silent readers and all for reading. If you have a sibling, you may want to go give them a suffocating hug right this minute because you know you love them even though you clearly hate them.


 

P.S. I don't even know how to explain myself with the ending scene.