Can I Love You?

Can I Love You?

Sunggyu admired the beauty in front of him as he pressed the shutter button in his camera, snapping pictures of the one man of his dreams in front of him. Sunggyu was a famous fashion photographer who only fancied taking pictures of men. His pictures were admired in the whole fashion industry and many designers wanted him to take pictures of their work, but he always let them down. Usually the models would be women and well Sunggyu dislikes women. He only had his eye on one special model. Not a rookie, but not a veteran model Nam Woohyun. He looked at the gorgeous creature in front of him as he snapped few more pictures, smiling behind his large camera.

 

They were holding a photo-shoot for famous men’s clothing brand in the outskirts of Seoul, taking pictures with the autumn man concept. Sunggyu tried not to drool over the sight of Woohyun wearing a suit mixed with shades of brown and grey, looking so edible and handsome while making his poses. Sunggyu just couldn’t wipe the smile off his face while he was taking pictures.

 

“Woohyun-sshi! Could you lean against the tree for a bit and look over to your left please!” Sunggyu shouted behind his camera and Woohyun did as he was told. Sunggyu knew Woohyun’s right side of his face was better than the left so he wanted that better side to be exposed to the camera. Woohyun tried to keep a straight model face, but ended up smiling anyway and Sunggyu didn’t stop him. He loved when Woohyun smiled when he took his pictures. It meant he was comfortable and at ease with him.

 

“Okay it’s a wrap! Change of clothes!” Sunggyu shouted and lowered the camera from his face. The coordinators and hairstylists along with the make-up crew came to Woohyun, but the man raised his hand to stop them and walked over to Sunggyu, leaning close to his face. “I bet the pictures come out the best again, Kim Sunggyu director” Woohyun’s lips curved up to a small smirk as he looked at the photographer who obviously blushed a little.

 

“Of course, Woohyun-sshi… Only the best for the best model, right?” Sunggyu laughed awkwardly and lifted his camera to look at the pictures, showing a few to Woohyun who nodded his head happily, smiling at the photographer with a wink before he went to change to a new outfit. Sunggyu stumbled backwards to his chair and sat down, taking a deep breath.

 

Sunggyu’s good friend and the designer or this collection Kim Myungsoo, or L as they would call him came over to his friend and sat down on the chair next to him. “Hyung… You should seriously stop this. I mean Nam Woohyun is straight as an arrow and he’s dating that popular actress now days so you don’t stand a chance. Please I beg you don’t do this to yourself. Remember what happened to the last model that you liked?” Myungsoo had to remind his friend for the cruel past of a model called Lee Howon whom Sunggyu fell in love with. Sunggyu got entangled in a one-sided love again with a painful rejection both from Howon and his boyfriend Dongwoo and in the end he ended up drinking for a month drowning his sorrows.

 

Sunggyu sighed and turned to look at his friend, smiling sadly at him before patting his thigh. “You’re just lucky, Myungsoo. I mean who would have thought you could catch the only man you fell for. I mean Lee Sungyeol, the rising star of the model industry. You, his idol and the one designer whose clothes he only wanted to wear. You’re just lucky and I’m doomed” Sunggyu let out a sad chuckle, lowering his head with a sigh before he heard Woohyun’s voice coming closer. He quickly plastered a smile on his face and got up from the chair, putting on his professional mask.

 

“Woohyun-sshi! Shall we continue?” Sunggyu smiled before taking his camera to his hands and lifting it up, waiting Woohyun to take his position before he started giving orders. He was a professional. We didn’t let his one-sided love get the best of him and become weak so he endured the whole photo-shoot until it ended. Myungsoo was watching from the side-lines while shaking his head. He just didn’t want to see his precious friend getting hurt again. He felt his phone ring in his pocket which he picked up on the second ring, a wide smile plastered on his face. “Sungyeol baby… Yeah I’m just finishing up. See you in a bit. Okay… I love you too” Myungsoo grinned before saying his greetings to the staff and Sunggyu, leaving the shooting site.

 

Sunggyu thanked the staff and was packing his things with his assistant Sungjong when Woohyun walked over to him, bowing his head slightly. “Thank you for your hard work, Kim Sunggyu-sshi. I hope we meet like this again. It’s been a pleasure working with you” Woohyun extended his hand which Sunggyu shook, but was pulled forward with slight force. The model leaned closer to the photographer’s ear and whispered. “It’s been a real pleasure and I hope we don’t need to meet formally like this next time” Woohyun took a note from his coat pocket and slipped it to Sunggyu’s hand while letting it go, a wide smile on his face. The model stepped away, sending Sunggyu a final wink before walking over to his manager, leaving the site.

 

Sunggyu’s whole body was shaking when he took a look at the neatly folded note, opening it up and seeing Woohyun’s number with his address. This wasn’t really happening. For years he’s been having one-sided loves and crushes and now the greatest love yet approached him and gave him his number. Sunggyu’s mouth just fell open and Sungjong seemed to notice as he rushed over to his hyung. “Hyung! Is everything okay?” he asked the older man who had his mouth open in shock, looking at the note in his hands and reaching out for it. “What’s this?” he asked curiously before Sunggyu snapped away from his thoughts and closed his palm, hiding the note.

 

“Nothing, Sungjong-ah… Let’s just go, okay?” he put the note into his pocket and took some of the stuff that was left after the other staff took them away, going over to his car and putting the things into the trunk. He sat down on the driver’s seat and took a deep breath, Sungjong following behind him with a smile on his face. “Hyung! We should celebrate! Let’s go eat something I’m hungry” Sungjong put on his puppy-eyes face rubbing his stomach and Sunggyu just couldn’t resist when the younger did that so he agreed to pay for dinner. Sunggyu drove away from the site and couldn’t stop thinking about the one and only Nam Woohyun.

 

A week had already passed and he was still holding the note between his fingers, examining it really closely. He just couldn’t believe this was happening. He took a deep breath and felt a hand his back in a calming matter. “Myungsoo… What am I going to do? I mean he basically gave me his number and he’s expecting me to call, but I can’t seem to do it… God, what am I going to do?” Sunggyu let out a desperate cry, covering his face with his hands while earning a chuckle from his friend.

 

“Well if you can’t call him, at least send him a message and ask if you could meet. I mean going to his place unannounced is just rude so send him a message and ask to meet up. What harm can that bring if he really gave you his number so that the two of you could meet? It seems he really wants to meet you outside of work” Myungsoo was telling the same thing to Sunggyu already for the third time already, but the older man just couldn’t comprehend his words and take it to his listening ears.

 

Sunggyu took out his phone and opened a new message, pressing the keys and writing a message. “Are you free tonight?” Sunggyu took a deep breath before he sent it, placing the phone on the table in front of him and Myungsoo, anxiously waiting for a reply while rocking back and forth. Ten minutes passed until the phone beeped, informing about an incoming message. Sunggyu grabbed his phone from the table and opened the message, reading it slowly before showing it to Myungsoo.

 

“My place or yours? What is he seriously after? I’m getting a bit suspicious about this whole thing. It’s safer if you meet him here. It’s your choice though” Myungsoo said softly, watching the older man pressing the keys in his phone and sending another message. “Yours, what time?” is what Sunggyu send Woohyun and placed the phone back on the table, lowering his head and taking deep breaths to calm down.

 

It wasn’t even a minute when a new reply arrived. Sunggyu opened the message and almost dropped the phone from his hands. “Midnight. Don’t be late” Sunggyu had to press his hand against his chest to calm his rapidly beating heart, not able to control it. “Oh my god Myungsoo he really wants to meet me… He really wants to meet me and I have an hour to get ready. Oh my god” Sunggyu jumped from his couch, pacing back and forth in his living room while Myungsoo still sat on the couch chuckling.

 

“Hyung just go take a shower I’ll help you pick clothes, okay? Just go and calm down!” Myungsoo was pushing Sunggyu out from the living room towards the bathroom while helping the older man to get ready. Sunggyu couldn’t call it a date, but to him it felt like it. He got ready and left his apartment, riding over to Woohyun’s place and parking slightly away from the luxurious looking house. He knew Woohyun was rich, but it didn’t matter to him. He just happened to be rich too.

 

Sunggyu got out from his car, locking the doors and walking over to Woohyun’s door and ringing the doorbell. It didn’t take long until the door opened, presenting a very y Woohyun while wearing a suit with the tie undone and the two top buttons opened from his dinner shirt. His hair was slightly up which was an obvious sign of hair ruffling, looking incredibly y and Sunggyu swore he could have pass out that very moment he saw the gorgeous man in front of him.

 

Woohyun smiled before opening the door wider, letting Sunggyu inside. Sunggyu bowed a little while removing his shoes, placing them neatly next to the door before he followed Woohyun to his living room. His mouth almost fell open when he saw the candles lit with a bottle of wine and two glasses on the coffee table, creating a romantic atmosphere. Now Sunggyu was confused. Woohyun seemed to notice the older man’s reaction and chuckled, taking a seat on the couch while patting the seat next to him.

 

Sunggyu walked over and sat down next to Woohyun, a little further away as his poor heart wouldn’t take so close proximity. Woohyun seemed to notice the nervousness as well so he reached out for the bottle of wine and poured each of them a glass before rising his own as proposing a toast. Sunggyu reached out for his wine glass and held it elegantly; lifting it a bit as toasting before taking a sip. “You seem awfully quiet Sunggyu-sshi. Is something wrong?” Woohyun asked gently which made Sunggyu blush so bad it crept up to his ears.

 

“I’m just… It’s my first time seeing you outside of work so I guess it makes me a little nervous” Sunggyu gave a small smile before taking another sip from his wine, almost drowning the whole glass. Woohyun reached out for the bottle and poured the other man another glass, getting a chuckle in return. “Are you trying to get me drunk, Woohyun-sshi?” Sunggyu couldn’t help it, the nervous state and the alcohol already kicking in. Plus he hadn’t eaten much during the last few days so the alcohol was kicking in even stronger.

 

“No, I’m trying to make you relax you seem awfully tense since the last time we met. Is it wrong if I want to treat my favorite photographer for a glass of wine and some nice calming atmosphere?” Woohyun smiled in return this time, Sunggyu nodding along to his words. The two men sat on the couch not saying a word while sipping their wine before Woohyun took a remote from the desk and put on some music, smiling happily.

 

Sunggyu noticed the song right away. It was Shall We Walk Together by one of his favorite singers Lee Juk. This gesture brought a smile on the photographer’s face as he hummed happily. “How did you know this is my favorite song? I mean I bet you can’t possibly know. I’m just surprised that’s all” Sunggyu smiled awkwardly while listening to the song, humming to the tune once again while closing his eyes. Sunggyu didn’t even notice Woohyun scooted a little closer; his face right next to Sunggyu’s left cheek before he yanked the older man’s hand and made him turn to his direction. Woohyun looked at the photographer for a moment and before Sunggyu had a time to comprehend and snap out of his trance he felt a pair of lips on his.

 

Sunggyu was so shocked at first that he couldn’t do anything, frozen to his spot completely. Woohyun noticed the other man was stiff so he broke away, turning his face away in shame. “I’m sorry… I... I don’t know what came over me. I just… You looked so beautiful just now I had to kiss you. I’m sorry…” Woohyun was apologizing and was about to stand up from the couch before Sunggyu tugged his hand and made him sit down again. Sunggyu blushed and let go from Woohyun’s hand.

 

“It’s okay… I mean I should have been more grateful and enjoy, but I was so shocked I couldn’t. Besides this is wrong, Woohyun-sshi. I mean you’re dating someone and I know you’re not gay unlike me…” Sunggyu had to hold his speech while reaching for his glass of wine, drinking all of it before putting the glass on the table, smiling sadly. “You’re attractive and everything, but I think we should just keep our relationship professional… You’re indeed dating and I’m in love with someone so this is not right…” Sunggyu stood up from the couch and went over to the hall and towards the door to get his shoes before Woohyun ran behind him and hugged him from behind, burying his face to the back of Sunggyu’s neck.

 

“Don’t go… Please… Stay…” Woohyun was begging quietly, holding onto Sunggyu. Sunggyu had to gather all his might to remove Woohyun’s hands around him, holding them for a moment and noticing how soft the other man’s hands were before letting them go. Sunggyu tried to hold his tears in as he was breaking down. The greatest love of his life was begging him to stay and be with him, but he couldn’t gather his courage to do so. Sunggyu was just letting Woohyun’s hands go when they grabbed his hands instead, gently pushing against the wall.

 

Woohyun was standing in front of Sunggyu, his face so close to Sunggyu’s and his breath against his lips. Sunggyu started to tremble as he was close to breaking down. He couldn’t take this. His heart couldn’t take this it was just too much. He was so sure Woohyun was just playing with his feelings, making fun of him and he just wanted to run away and never come back. He knew this was a mistake and yet he came. Sunggyu lifted his gaze and his eyes widened when he saw a single tear rolling down Woohyun’s cheek, a gentle sob escaping from the other man’s lips.

 

“Don’t go… Please… I… I’m living in a lie...” Woohyun said softly with sadness in his voice and Sunggyu had to stay put and listen what the other man wanted to say. Woohyun took a deep breath and looked into Sunggyu’s eyes. “I’m living in a lie… I’m pretending to be straight when I certainly am not. The actress I’m supposed to be dating? She’s a friend of mine and a very close friend at that, but she’s dating someone else and we’re yet to clarify the rumors so that she can announce being with someone else and it was all a misunderstanding.” Woohyun took a deep breath before continuing, breaking the eye contact with Sunggyu to look down at his hands that were holding Sunggyu’s wrists.

 

“I have my eyes on a man… A very special man with so many heartbreaks I can’t even count them. I fell in love with a man that was so out of my league for being so perfect and gorgeous. I never thought I would get that man and my heart broke when I saw him working with other people because he wasn’t smiling at me. He wasn’t focusing on me. I wanted to be in his spotlight with just him and me…” Woohyun was shaking as tears kept falling from his eyes, sobbing quietly while trying to gather himself together. He kept looking elsewhere while trying to regain his composure. Sunggyu was so intensively listening he didn’t even want to say anything. He wanted to listen what Woohyun had to say.

 

“The man I have my eyes on… Is you Kim Sunggyu” Woohyun whispered softly before lifting his gaze to look at Sunggyu and they looked at each other in the eyes before a tear escaped from Sunggyu’s eye, lifting his hands to grab a hold on Woohyun’s face and crashing their lips together, kissing him properly this time. Woohyun responded to the kiss while wrapping his arms around Sunggyu’s waist, holding onto him like his life depended on it.

 

Sunggyu broke the kiss a moment later and lowered his head, more tears falling from his eyes. “I can’t believe it… I never thought this day would come” Sunggyu lifted his gaze to look at Woohyun, the other man’s face while a smile broke on his lips, kissing Woohyun again. Woohyun responded to the kiss and held onto Sunggyu before they breaking the second kiss. “The man I’ve loved one-sidedly for almost two years is confessing he loves me…” Sunggyu whispered with a smile on his face and Woohyun couldn’t help but to widen his eyes, looking at Sunggyu in pure shock.

 

“What are you saying? That… You’ve loved me all this time and you never confessed to me? While I’ve been miserable and thinking I didn’t stand a chance when I saw that happy smile on your face when you were looking at someone’s pictures from your phone during breaks when we were doing photo-shoots together. That gorgeous eye smile that you usually have when you talk about someone you like is when you talked about… Me?” Woohyun asked Sunggyu who lifted his face with a wide smile on his face, tears still running down his cheeks. Sunggyu nodded and kept his head lowered out of embarrassment.

 

“The happy smile is because I was looking at pictures of you… The eye smile only appears when I talk about you and you don’t know how many people almost made me give up on my crush on you. I was already losing my mind for being stuck this long and I thought I was never going to get freed and I was thinking of confessing to get completely dumped and have a reason to move on, but I kept holding on until now… I guess it paid off…” Sunggyu chuckled a little and looked at Woohyun who was smiling as well, leaning closer to hug Sunggyu tightly, holding him in his arms.

 

Sunggyu wrapped his arms around Woohyun as well, hiding his face on the crook of Woohyun’s neck and drying his tears on the other man’s coat. They held each other for a while before Woohyun broke away first, raising his fingers to wipe the tear marks from Sunggyu’s face, smiling at him before leaning forward for another kiss which the older man gladly accepted.

 

They poured their hearts to the kiss and it became passionate and desperate, holding onto each other like their lives depended on it. After a while they broke for air, resting their foreheads against each other. “So there’s no girlfriend?” Sunggyu asked gently and Woohyun chuckled while shaking his head. “No there isn’t and there’s no secret lover for you either?” it was Sunggyu’s turn to chuckle and shake his head. “Only thing I have is my undying love for you and it won’t give up until it receives some love in return” Sunggyu grinned and Woohyun smiled back, pecking the other man’s lips.

 

“I guess we should stop with the one-sided loves and love each other full-heartedly, don’t you think?” Woohyun whispered and earned a nod from Sunggyu, holding each other tighter.

 

“I love you Nam Woohyun…” Sunggyu whispered and Woohyun hummed in reply with his own confession. “I love you too Kim Sunggyu…”

 

And so they became the next hot couple in the fashion industry after Myungsoo and Sungyeol for being the second openly gay couple and more models followed their example and came out from their closets which set a small panic in the industry for having so many gay models, but Woohyun and Sunggyu just lied down on Woohyun’s couch and laughed at the news when a new couple came out to present they were dating and they couldn’t be happier for being so openly accepted. There was nothing in their way anymore and they couldn’t have been happier than they were now. Their hopes and dreams came true after all…

 

END