It's my doll!

Can't choose your family

 

It was a normal day; Luhan was sitting in the living room playing with her favourite doll. Her father was sitting on his regular spot on the couch, going over his bills. She could hear her younger brother playing with the neighbour in his room, but she ignored them, like she always did.

Her youngest brother, though, was hard to ignore. He was sitting on the floor right across from her, staring at her with big puppy eyes. She huffed at him and hugged the doll to her chest.

But Tao didn’t give up; he crawled his way to her, and with force she didn’t know he had he snatched the doll right from her arms. She screeched, smacking his hand, which naturally made him weep.

Her father looked up at them, furrowing his eyebrows. “Luhan, what did you do to your brother?”

“What did I do?! He stole my doll!” she whimpered, pointing at the toddler who was now snickering at her, hugging the doll to him and sticking his tongue out at her as soon as their father looked away.

Kris only shook his head. “It’s just a doll. Besides, he’s your younger brother, you should share your dolls with him.”

“But it’s my doll!” she stood up only to stamp her feet, then sat back down when it didn’t seem to affect her father in any way.

“No! Mine!” Tao said, his squeaky baby voice loud and clear.

Luhan grunted and pushed her brother (lightly, so her father wouldn’t get upset) and snatched the doll back.

But it only made Tao cry (she was sure he was just faking it to get their father attention), and Kris sighed and got up to scoop the baby into his arms. “Luhan, give him the doll.”

“But-“ she opened her deer-eyes as big as she could; it always worked for Tao when he made this face, she was sure it would work for her too. But it didn’t.

“Give it to him. Now.”

She whimpered, forcing tears up to her eyes. If Tao could play this game, so could she. “But it’s mine! And I was playing with it!”

Kris shook his head and kissed Tao on his cheek, reaching out his hand to her.

She gave him her best angry look as she gave him the doll, stamping her feet again.

Tao took the doll with his most precious smile (the one that always had her father cooing over him and kissing him all over his face), then pushed it to Kris’s free hand. “For you, daddy.”

Kris swallowed, overwhelmed, and took the doll. Smiling brightly, he kissed Tao on his forehead. “You’re so sweet.” He cooed, kissing him again and again. “I’ll take good care of him, right?” with a slight giggle he smiled at the doll too. “I’ll call him Ace, what do you think?”

Luhan blinked, cocking her head to the side. “Daddy… are you crying?”

Kris huffed, shaking his head. “No. I’m just sweating from my eyes.”