Catch Us If You Can

Catch Us If You Can

 

Catch Us if You Can 

They had never done this before.

In their entire sixteen years of life, they had never ever done such a thing. It was going against their parents’ wishes and it will cause a lot of disappointment in their family. In typical Asian families, it was good as bringing dishonour to the name.

But seriously. They needed this break. They could not stand to look at another textbook or a single worksheet again.

It was suggested by Wynnie, the prankster of the group. They had been conducting a group studying session down at Estelle’s house since it was the most central. It was less than three months to the ‘O’ levels. Less than three months to brush up on concepts and practice.

“I say,” Wynnie began, rocking on her knees with a textbook in her hands. “We should skip school tomorrow!”

“Are you crazy?” Beryl immediately responded in disbelief. Her long brown hair curled at the end, bouncing off her shoulder as she turned to face Wynnie. “Our ‘O’ levels are just a few weeks away! We can’t afford to play around, you know!”

Estelle and Valerie shared a knowing look. Beryl, the school nerd, was forever dedicating her life to books, books and books. She followed the school rules very carefully, to the extent of tucking out her blouse to the specific millimeters.

But definitely, what Wynnie had proposed was ridiculous. Was she not serious enough about the upcoming major examinations? Whatever results they achieved could have a massive impact on their future, and they were not taking any chances. No day off. No slacking or procrastination at all. It was paper after paper every single hour of every single day.

Their resolution to get by the hard months was to study hard all the way. On the last day of the O Levels, that seemed further than the first paper, they would tear up their homework and go wherever they wanted. They could play Dragon Nest all the way into the morning of the next day without a slightest care. It was to make up the time they sacrificed to the stacks of papers.

Wynnie was now standing up. She stared at each of their faces, with somewhat determination.

“Look,” she began softly. “I know we must study hard this few weeks. I know we must do flying-with-colours well in the ‘O’ Levels. But, we are not machines. We can’t keep this up if we don’t get a break here and there. And I feel, with all the hard work we are doing, we deserve just one day off.”

“But,” Valerie hesitated. “One day of studying makes all the difference, Wynnie. Just one day can decide whether you get an A1 or an A2.”

“Aww, come on, don’t say no,” Wynnie begged. “I know you want to do it… I mean, it’s fun to be a little naughty sometimes…”

“Alright,” Estelle gave in. “Where do you have in mind?”

That little twist in Wynnie’s smile told her that she should not have asked that.

======

Today we’re going down town! It’s only just a little holiday. Try and catch us if you can! Tomorrow I’ll be a good girl, tomorrow I’ll be the best I can, so I hope you will understand. 

Downtown. Of all places Wynnie chose, it had to be downtown.

“We’re going to get caught, we’re going to get caught,” Beryl moaned behind them as they walked along the bustling pavements.

“Come on, be a sport,” Valerie nudged her. “I mean, we are only doing it once!”

“Once is already a crime,” the bookworm insisted. “Imagine all the lessons and lectures we are missing….!”

“Well, we’re already here,” Wynnie pointed out. “No point going back to school, unless you want to get caught by the discipline teachers. And anyway, it’s not like the school will miss us today; it can wait.” Beryl’s next set of grumbles were kept to herself after that.

Estelle’s squeal of excitement drew their attention to a shop one block down. “Oh my gosh! Guys! You might want to see this!!!”

The three of them quickly rushed down to where the sporty girl was, and were instantly amazed. It was an all-Japanese shop, with costumes of notable anime characters like Naruto hanging on the shelves and posters of anime filling up every single corner.

It was an otaku’s paradise: the paradise they always desired.

Without another word, all of them charged into the store, gasping at the wide range of merchandise from the official Jump shop in Japan. The prices were a bit costly, but it was to be expected since the products were directly flown in from Japan.

Rings, necklaces, collar pins and shirts- the surprises just keep popping out. The shop was even selling bolsters that had Shakugan no Shana, Sword Art Online and Katekyo Hitman Reborn on them.

Valerie could not contain her exhilaration. As her friends all knew, she had this for really cute things and socks that had cute characters on them. When she saw the socks displayed on the table, she nearly wanted to pick up all of them but controlled herself. After some frantic decision-making, she decided to purchase the sock with Rillakuma eating an ice-cream.

Estelle, as quick as lightning,  picked up Fairy Tail’s Lucy’s Celestial Keys, something she had really longed to have. Goosebumps flared up her arms as she touched the metal plating. The tingle of power shot down her spine and she knew she had to get it.

Wynnie had her mind set on One Piece bracelet that had charms in shape of the characters like Luffy and Chopper. It was so adorable, and it definitely suited her to the max.

Beryl was more hesitant because of her money-consciousness.  In the end, she decided to buy a Gundam Model Kit, something she always had an obsession for.

-

Woo-hoo, sha la la la la! Woo-hoo, sha la la la la! Woo-hoo! Catch us if you can!

They went karaoke-ing. They danced; they sang.

They watched movies.

Explored different malls.

Beryl could not believe how the day had become increasingly fun. They were full of adrenaline, a little tired but still raring to go. It felt good, to just drop everything and have fun. She had forgotten how it felt to be free again; how it felt to be released from the suffocating cage she had been trapped in.

Lately, she had been working hard: too hard for her own good. She became so used to the routine that she had forgotten the fun in learning. How had she forgotten? How could she have forgotten?

But it didn’t matter now. She was laughing away, laughing loudly. Her childhood memories came rushing back to her, where she would be swinging around on monkey bars, running childishly on the field and where she had been a fun-loving kid.

They were in a mall again. The cool air immediately whisked them deeper into the mall, where fashion and fun awaited.

“There are so many things to do!” Estelle gushed, looking around.

“And very little time,” Valerie reminded her. “Let’s pick up the pace.”

They were prepared to charge into a shop. Their stance all ready. Their energy pumping.

“And where do you think you girls are going?”

All four of them froze as the unmistakable scent of perfume wafted into their noses. The voice was thin and papery, and Wynnie could recognise it instantly. Blood drained from her face as she turned.

Beryl’s heart almost drowned.

Mayday, mayday. The game is over, I think we are in trouble.

“Yes, we promise you, we won’t do this again.”

It was the same sentence, repeated at least six times. First to their discipline mistress who had caught them in the mall, second to the principal in her office, and each of them apologised to their parents for their apparent misdemeanor.

The four pairs of mums and dads had a great look of disapproval and disappointment etched on every wrinkle and fold of their faces. Their frowns painted the story of their emotions and all Estelle could do was hang her head in shame.

Why must all good things come to an end? As she stared at the parents who were currently talking to the principal, she could not help but think. They were young and free; they were full of vibrant energy, so why couldn’t they just go out and play just for a day? And besides, it was their first time so they should show some mercy.

In fact, they were the ones you can always count on: the ones who handed their homework on time, showed perseverance in their work and enthusiasm in their learning. Anyway, nobody was perfect, so you could not expect a hundred percent obedience from each of them.

The four of them shared a look. They were in deep trouble when they got home. But for today, Estelle couldn’t help but admit, it was worth it.

You can take the girls out of their fun, but you will never take the fun out of the girls.