Final

The 7th Anniversary

 

In the dorm, Kyuhyun was drowning himself in wine. In his free hand, he held his phone, scrolling through twitter. ELFs were trending the hashtag , which was really touching. Too touching in fact; tears were making their way out of his tear glands.
 
He sniffed it back. It wasn't his debut day, and he felt out of it all of a sudden. The same feeling he felt 6 years ago.
 
"Kyu, are you crying?" a soft voice called behind him.
 
"N-no," Kyuhyun locked his phone and downed the remaining wine in the wineglass.
 
Yesung sat down beside him and hugged Kyuhyun around the shoulders. Warmth enveloped Kyuhyun and he in a deep breath, trying to contain his tears.
 
"Kyuhyun-ah. I know you're thinking about the first time you joined us. Frankly, the date doesn't matter that much. As far I am concerned, you are every part of us-- like how Ddangkkoma, Ddangkkoming, Ddangkomaeng are a part of me. Okay?"
 
Before Kyuhyun could utter a reply, they heard quiet sobs from one of the rooms.
 
Kyuhyun and Yesung looked at each other. Kyuhyun put down his phone and wine glass. They both headed to Donghae's room.
 
Donghae had buried his head in a small hill of pillows, but sobbing sounds could still be heard.
 
"Hyung," Kyuhyun started.
 
Donghae looked up and wiped his tears away.
 
"Haha, silly me. Why am I crying?"
 
"Hyung," Kyuhyun repeated again, worry evident on his face.
 
"Nothing to worry about. I just-- remembered all those years of waiting and wishing to fulfill my dad's dream. Today is the day," he smiled, despite his tears, "The day, 7 years ago. The day when I felt so accomplished. The day... When I can almost see my dad smile at me from above. The day. This day."
 
"Hyung," Kyuhyun pursed his lips, again on the verge of tears. He went forward to squat next to Donghae. Donghae reached over and hugged Kyuhyun, smiling with a small trail of tears trickling down his cheeks.
 
Yesung looked on, wanting to hug them both, but felt that it would be too awkward.
 
"Guys, I'm here!"
 
Yesung widened his eyes at the oh-so familiar voice. He peeked out from the room to see a beaming Siwon.
 
"Siwon? Why are you are?"
 
"Celebrate, of course! And we can all pray in blessing for all the 7 years we had together-"
 
Yesung mentally shut out Siwon preacher words and clucked his tongue as Kyuhyun and Donghae got up.
 
"Siwon is here?" they echoed together. Donghae's eyes were red, while Kyuhyun's were watery.
 
Yesung raised both his brows and shrugged. The trio went out of the room.
 
"Ah, my favourites!" Siwon exclaimed upon seeing the three of them. Yesung smiled, Donghae grinned bashfully, while Kyuhyun merely waved his greeting off by a "Hyung, why are you here?"
 
"To pray with you guys! Let God bless us with more years of one happy Super junior!"
 
The trio laughed slightly, but followed Siwon to the dinner table anyway. Siwon placed two paper bags on the table.
 
"What's that?" Yesung asked.
 
"I smell food," Kyuhyun grinned.
 
"Who said food?"
 
The four seated at the table turned to a confused Kangin.
 
"Oh, hello," Kangin said to Siwon. Siwon nodded in acknowledgement, "Kangin-sunbae."
 
"Why's there food?"
 
"Oh, Siwon brought it."
 
"Oh. Mind if I join?"
 
"Why would we mind?" Siwon smiled kindly, gesturing to a free seat, like the gentleman he is.
 
Kangin grinned like a kid who got tons of candy on Halloween as he sat down.
 
They said a long prayer together, before tucking in hurriedly in their mini supper. They had to finish their food before the manager came to check on them, and supper was forbidden. Though they weren't strict about it, still it was better to not face a lecture from their manager.
 
It wasn't really celebration, since many of them weren't there. But to all of them, it still was something.
 
Donghae fiddled with his phone, and smiled to himself.
 
Several beep echoed in the silent room. Heechul groaned. He was trying to sleep, but somehow, it was impossible. He was almost sleeping after counting about 35643 Hangengs in his head, but his phone just had to beep.
 
Sighing, he got his phone, squinting at the screen. Then he snorted and chuckled.
 
Hyung~! Are you sleeping? I think you are.. But anyway, I miss you here! Our first anniversary without you seems so empty without your beautiful presence. I wonder how will our next anniversary will be like! Anyway, Hyung, continue to take care! Return to Super junior safe and sound~ we all miss you~ kissu kissu <3
 
Heechul tapped on his phone in reply to the sms.
 
Yah, I was sleeping! Fancy you waking me up. Aish. Idiot, I miss you too. But tell the others I don't miss them. Ok goodnight.
P.S. I was lying about one of the sentences.
 
Heechul sent the message and waited for a while.
 
Another series of beeps sounded again. He checked the message he just received.
 
I know, hyung (: The others miss you too. Good night~!
P.S. Don't stay up late to wait for Hangeng hyung's message! Kkkk :p
 
Heechul smiled rather stupidly at the reply and locked his phone. Time to sleep. Maybe it'd be easier now...
 
Just then, his phone rang.
 
He checked the caller ID and picked up immediately.
 
"Hannie!"
 
The caller chuckled deeply. "Donghae told me you couldn't sleep. Want to talk for a bit?"
 
"Aish-- Donghae! I will seriously--"
 
The caller laughed again. "Chul-ah. International calls are expensive."
 
"Yah! I didn't ask you to call me! It was that brat--"
 
"Chul-ah. Let's just talk, ok? We haven't done so for a while now, right?"
 
Heechul sighed. "I thought you had forgotten about us all."
 
"Nonsense," Hangeng snorted over the line. "Who told you that?"
 
"No one, but I assum--"
 
"Kim Heechul," Hangeng said sternly, making Heechul stop, "I would never forget. Never ever will. Although I have so many things in China, part of my heart... It still belongs to Korea. To Super Junior. To you. Ever since this date 7 years ago, it has always been like that. And it will not change. That, I can promise you."
 
Heechul remained silent, absorbing the words that were so true. Yet, he still couldn't stop being paranoid, paranoid that Hangeng would forget them and their friendship.
 
He could only trust him for now.
 
"You... Better keep that promise."
 
There was a sound of a deep intake of breath. "Yes, I will keep the promise," Hangengd said in a steadfast manner.
 
"...ok then. I have to sleep now. Good night, Hannie."
 
"Good night, Chullie."
 
Heechul hung up, reluctantly dropping his phone back on the bedside table.
 
This time, without counting any Hangengs, Heechul fell asleep.
 
While the others started to prepare to sleep, and four on their way back to their dorms from their radio shows, two others remained awake. One was in an army camp, while another was in his house.
 
The one in his house, Ki bum, was thinking about several things. On this particular day, he would be reminded of the priceless memories he had shared. He wondered if he felt any regret from withdrawing himself from activities with the members. But since it had been his choice, he would live with it. Right now, he would just cherish the memories he had.
 
As for the one in the army camp, a lot mixed feelings stirred in his heart. He was worried, yet happy. Being away from idol life and adjusting to the army life would certainly be a good and enriching experience. He would grow and learn. But he was worried that they might not be able to get along all together without his presence. He was like the glue of Super Junior. The peacemaker. The mother. As silly as it sounds, he loved being the mother. He felt the responsibilty of taking care of all of them in place of their parents. He was responsible. Especially after Donghae's father had entrusted Donghae's care in his hands.
 
He was sad to not be able to do that, but he believes that Donghae is strong enough, and so are the other members. The two years of absence would train them to be independent of him. It would be good.
 
He picked up the letter the members had created for him together and reread it in the dim moonlight.
 
 
 
Leeteuk! There are so many things we want to say, and so many things we want to thank you for. If we were to make a list, the paper would probably have to circle the Earth hundreds of times kkkk. So we will only say things that majority of us want to say.
 
First of all, your new hairstyle is really nice. We're not lying. We even feel that the hairstyle is better than the one you have for 6th jib! Kkkk please don't kill us! We, at least most of us, say this honestly from our hearts. (Eunhyuk disagrees)
 
Secondly, since you've moved your things out, someone else is going to occupy your space! Gasp! Who is it? Drumrolls~ oh it is... A Leeteuk standee! (Kyuhyun and Kangin stole it kkk)
 
Next, we wish you a great time in the army! Bring back some valuable experience and be an even better leader Leeteuk ok!
 
Mostly, don't worry about us. We will not do fine. There will be no replacement for you in our hearts (no matter how many times Hyuk tries to take over the title). Eat well, sleep well, and train well! We want to see an even ier Teuk in 2 years! 
 
We want to thank you for being like a mother to us. It has been a long 7-year journey. We have faced so many ups and downs, arguments and fights. But you were always the one who would be there for us, solving our conflicts and forcing us to make up. There are so many instances when this has happened. We know it's tough to take care of 12 immature children for 7 years. But for the next 2 years, take care of yourself. Your health is important to us all, and we want you to return to us as a strong and healthy leader. We love you. Hwaiting!
 
P.S. Donghae wants to say this: Hyung, thank you for being there for me constantly. I still remember the time when my dad died and I couldn't eat or sleep properly. You were always there to coax me to eat and sleep, and I really admire your patience with me. I know I'm not an easy person to be with, and I really, really appreciate your love and care that my dad has not been able to provide for the past few years. I am sure that my dad is extremely grateful to you. Do not worry about me! Eunhyuk All of them will be there for me kkkk~ I love you! Kissu~ 
 
Love,
Your Super Junior.
 
 
 
Stray drops of tears rolled down his cheeks as he smiled. Then he closed his eyes, drifting slowly to sleep with thoughts of reuniting with the rest of Super Junior in 2 years' time.