Rumors

I'm His Slave!

Chapter 5: Rumors

I arrived at school just to hear rumor about Changmin and Minkyung. Heewon came to me and said it all. I couldn’t entirely trust her, until that afternoon I saw them together at the library. Both of them sat side by side, talking. Changmin had his head leaned on his palm, facing Minkyung. I was observing them behind a shelf. My heart hurt, but I couldn’t turn away from them. Minkyung was laughing at what Changmin said to her. They did look like a couple.

 

“How could they deny that they’re not a couple?” Heewon mumbled beside me, but loud enough for me to hear.

 

“Are they for real?” I asked her.

 

“Just by looking at it, nobody would deny it, I guess.”

 

I nodded at her statement. That was true. They looked so real. I clutched the book I was holding.

 

“Let’s go! It’s not healthy to look at them, especially for you,” she said and dragged me out.

 

That day, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. They still acted formal toward each other by adding ‘ssi’ after each other name, but their actions were the total opposite.

 

After class, I checked my phone to found out that Changmin had texted me. ‘Come to the rooftop!’ it was read. So simple, yet I didn’t think I could do that. After what I saw, I couldn’t see Changmin today. I just felt don’t like it. So I texted back, ‘I have a promise with Soyu. Mian’. I waited and waited, but Changmin didn’t replay. I started to think that maybe he sent the wrong message. It was supposed to be for Minkyung, maybe.

 

I had lunch with both of my best friends at a café. Heewon seemed so pissed off. She played with her food.

 

“What’s wrong?” asked Soyu.

 

“This world is so not fair,” she complained.

 

“What is it that makes you think so?”

 

“How can Shim Changmin be with Kang Minkyung? Both of them are popular and smartass. Are they really destined for each other? What about people like us?”

 

“Don’t bring me on your words! I’m sure I can get a smart, handsome, and rich guy.”

 

“You’re such a delusional one!” she mocked.

 

I was just hearing their conversation. I wasn’t in the right mind right now. I could only think the bad things now, like maybe Heewon was right. There was zero possibility that I would be with Changmin. He was just my childhood friend. Nothing more would happen to us.

 

A bunch of girls from our university came into the café. They were also talking about the rumor of Changmin and Minkyung. I heard one of them said that the rumor was actually true.

 

Really. Since I attended the same high school as them, I saw it with my own eyes!” she said eagerly.

 

My friends and my focus were directed to their conversation.

 

They started to date each other in high school. I think it was when they were in second grade?” the girl said in doubtful tone. “Minkyung was my classmate in first grade, and she’s really smart. She and Changmin were part of student council association, so they often met at meetings or other school occasions.”

 

To tell you the truth, I couldn’t bear it. But my mind kept telling me to stay and listen to it until she finished talking. Heewon squeezed my hand, as if she understood my feeling. I hadn’t told her the truth yet, but I thought she knew exactly how I felt.

 

“Were they close to each other back then in first grade?” one of her friends asked.

 

“Uh, I don’t think so. I think Minkyung had a boyfriend at that time.” Her friends gasped at her shocking statement. We did too. “If I’m not wrong, he’s a senior and I’m sure Changmin knows him. They were members of basketball team.”

 

“Does it mean Changmin stole her from her boyfriend?”

 

“Or they were having an affair?”

 

“Did her boyfriend and Changmin have fight? Were they enemies?”

 

So many questions occurred, but they stopped as their food came. The girl promised her friends to tell it another time. We, on the other hand, were disappointed that her story was interrupted. We still wanted to know more, but we didn’t know her.

 

“Let’s just go!” Soyu took her bag and left her seat. Heewon and I followed her suit.

-----

I knocked at his door. Even if I didn’t want to meet him at school, I still had to meet him at his house. After the third knock, he opened it. He was wearing back tee and casual jeans.

 

“What took you so long?” he asked. He opened the door wider to give me space to enter his house.

 

“I had something to do,” I said. “What should I do today?”

 

“Make dinner of course. Let’s just have ramyeon!” he suggested.

 

I went to the kitchen and made it. Changmin waited in the living room, and played with his laptop. There were so many things I wanted to ask to him. But I didn’t want it to seem as if I was interrogating him.

 

I put the hot ramen in front of him. He looked at it, shut his laptop, and we ate together.

 

“Changmin-ah?” I called him.

 

Wae?” he answered lazily. I knew he’s only interested in his ramen.

 

I was thinking whether I should ask about the rumor or not. I wasn’t the type of girl who would beat around the bush. I had to make a plan so that he wouldn’t annoy by my sudden interrogation. An idea came into my mind.

 

“Actually, why didn’t you open my capsule?”

 

He was doubtful for a while before answering my question. “Haven’t I told you the reason?”

 

“Because it is a children toy?” I recalled. He nodded. “Or maybe you’re afraid if I will ask you to be my driver instead, like what you did to me?”

 

“Ah, both of it, I guess.”

 

I sighed. He didn’t answer my questions seriously. He only focused on his food. He really likes to eat ever since he’s a kid. His appetite for food had never changed, I suppose. I remember one day in my 8th birthday party. I had never had a party before; that was the first time. When all of the children were playing in the garden, he was alone in the house. I realized he wasn’t with us for almost 30 minutes, and then I went into the house to find him eat almost half of the food provided for the guests. I couldn’t mad at him, even when he had finished it up. Looking at him eating gluttonously really makes me happy.

 

“It’s not as extreme as yours. I can guarantee.”

 

“Yah, don’t force me! I won’t do it!” he insisted. He had finished up eating his ramen.

 

“Want more? I don’t feel like eating.”

 

“I don’t take other’s food, especially girls. Besides, look at yourself. You’re so skinny. You should eat more.”

 

My heart fluttered hearing his concern. Changmin opened again his laptop, without taking his bowl to the kitchen. I sighed and took his and mine there and washed it.

 

I went back to the living room, and sat on the couch behind Changmin, since he was sitting on the carpet. He was working on a paper. Actually I didn’t want to disturb him, but I was very curious about the rumor.

 

“What are you working at?” I asked him although I already knew the answer.

 

“Ah, my History Paper,” he said simply. His fingers moved rapidly on the keyboard. He typed really fast.

 

“You must be so busy,” I said in lazy tone.

 

“Anniya. The due is next week.”

 

“Then why do you work on it now? There’s still a lot of time.”

 

“I don’t have anything to do, that’s why,” he said.

 

“I see.” My mind kept telling me to ask him. He wasn’t busy, so I guess I could ask about it now.”

 

“Changmin-ah.”/ “Aren’t you going home?” We said in the same time.

 

“What?” We both said it in unison again.

 

We laughed. But then I stopped. “Yeah, right. It’s dark already. I’ll see you tomorrow.” I took my bag, and walked to the door.

 

“I don’t mean to chase you away,” he explained.

 

“Arasseo,” I said and smile.

 

“I’ll send you home.”

 

I thought I had misheard what he said to me, so I didn’t answer. But then, I saw him grabbing a key in the table.

 

“Yah, yah! I’m alright. You don’t have to send me home!” I said quickly.

 

“Yah, nonsense! Just get on the car!” he demanded. I did what he said.

 

It was for the first time I rode car with him alone, so I didn’t know what to do. Normally, people would talk or listen to music when they’re in the car. But, it was just so awkward that I didn’t have courage to open my mouth. Changmin showed his gentleman side to me, and it was such a rare thing. I just sat, and looked outside the window, while Changmin just looked straight on the road. I knew it was such a bad idea he sent me home. But honestly, my heart was telling me that I liked this opportunity to be alone with him. How stupid!

 

I could see Changmin wasn’t trying to start the conversation with me as he was busy with driving me home safely. I thought hard about what conversation should I started with him. Though actually there were so many questions filled her mind, but she still had to choose which one Changmin might be willing to answer.

 

“Uhm, did you send wrong message for me this afternoon?” I asked him, remembering his text message about meeting at the rooftop.


“No. Didn’t you even replay my message?” he asked back.

 

“Yes, but you didn’t text me back!” Unintentionally, my tone was like I snapped him. I didn’t mean it. I bit my tongue realizing my mistake. I was afraid if Changmin mad and wouldn’t talk to me.

 

“You said you had lunch with your friend. Then what should I say?” I felt he was annoyed from his tone.

 

This time I didn’t know how to answer. If somebody heard us, he might think we’re couple in small quarrel. I hurriedly shook the stupid thought. What are you thinking, Lee Yoora?

 

“Did you have something to say to me? You can say it now.”

 

Anniya. Dwaesseo!”

 

Although I was very curious about what he wanted to say, I held back. I knew he didn’t like being forced.

 

“When is your mom coming?” I asked another question. He was still sulking until I asked the question.

 

“She hasn’t told me. Wae?”

 

“I just miss her. Did you tell her we’re going to the same school again?”

 

“I haven’t had chance. Wae? Do you want me to tell her?”

 

Anniya! I want to surprise her. Don’t tell her!”

 

Arasseo.”

 

Again, the atmosphere back to awkward until he stopped in front of my apartment building.

-----

Thank you for the subscribers! *bow 90 degree*

Your critics and comments are sooooo much welcomed. ^^