The Miracle

Time

 

He was now back to the times when they were young and in love. The times when everything was fine and happy, the times that he used to keep as memories; he was living it again. He was back to the days when he would dance with her, even when there was no music playing. He was back to the night when they took their blankets and climbed to the roof. They were star-gazing as they talked about their future like they had a clue, except this time, his heart felt heavy as he knew he would be losing her. Trying to hold back his tears, Jiyong asked, “Chaerin, what would happen if one day, we lose each other?”. Jiyong expected her to be puzzled with the question as he was the only one who knew that he was from the future. However, she started singing, “Then in another life, I would be your girl. We’d keep all our promises, be us against the world” as she continued looking at the night sky.

                It was bittersweet for Jiyong to live through the past again. He was back to the day when he talked to her father. “I want to marry your princess and make her my queen. She’ll be the most beautiful bride you’ll ever see”, he repeated the exact words he said the first time.

              

 

 

 

 

As time in the past went by, the day that scarred him for life finally came. He was at the hospital. Chaerin’s mother was streaming tears and her father was consoling her. Chaerin’s best friends were there too. Minji was crying on Bom’s shoulder. Dara was crying so hard, she was trembling.

                Unlike the first time when he broke down and cried, this time, Jiyong felt numb. It was painful inside but no tears were shed. He thought that he would feel better after having more time with her but he was wrong. He was hurting even more.

                The situation was exactly the same like the first time – the same nurse, the same doctor, and the same room number Chaerin was in.

                However, this time, Jiyong wanted to make a change. He bowed his head and prayed. He prayed for her. He prayed for more time. With her. 

 

 

 

 

 

Five years later, on a fine summer day, Jiyong bought a bouquet of white calla lilies and paid her a visit. He looked down at her grave and smiled. “Thank you for everything. It was hard but I’m okay now. I’m now married and my wife is three weeks pregnant. She’s a beautiful person, just like you”, Jiyong said as he grinned.

                Just then, he heard someone calling his name. He turned around to find his beautiful wife in a yellow sundress. “Oppa, don’t forget, we need to get some Rilakkumas for the baby’s room”, she said as she looked at the grave before placing a bouquet of fresh flowers she just bought.

                He chuckled as he intertwined their fingers and continued, “Mom, I would like you to meet my wife, Chaerin”.