Chapter 23

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's POV

“Perfect,” you chuckled as you stepped back to admire the comedic but sentimental drawing in front of you.

 

“Hey, don’t put that up there. It’s embarrassing,” Kris nagged as he barged into the kitchen.

 

He was about to snatch the picture held to the refrigerator  by a magnet when you stopped him.

 

“Don’t touch. I like it.” You declared firmly.

 

“B-but I don’t want the maids seeing it. They’ll think a five year old made it.” He harrumphed.

 

“So what if they do?” You chided. “It’s not like they’ll laugh at you…”

 

Kris relaxed a smidge thanks to your reassuring words until you continued. “In front of your face.”

 

His expression went sour and he narrowed his eyes at you.

 

You stifled a chuckle as you shook your head. “Hey, no one told you to challenge a professional caricature artist to a drawing contest. I mean that’s like wrestling with Triple H.”

 

“Hey, you were the one who wanted it.” He argued.

 

“From him not you. And to think I actually thought you were an amazing artist with how confident you were.”

 

You rolled your eyes while a smile lingered over your lips.

 

“I am. People have praised me on my artwork before for your information.” He boasted defensively.

 

“Like who? Your elementary school teacher?” You snorted jokingly.

 

It was quiet as Kris’s eyes skipped everywhere. Then it hit you like a ton of bricks as your jaw hit the floor.

 

“Are you serious? Did I really guess that accurately?”

 

The latter quickly cleared his throat and you took his silence as a confirmation. You didn’t utter a word as you blinked dumbly at him.

 

Next, you doubled-over in laughter. “Oh my god,” you held onto your stomach and pointed at him.

 

“You took her compliment seriously? No offense but you were five back then. She was probably being nice.”

 

Your husband’s brows united, displeased as he frowned at your callous statement. “Yap, stop laughing.” He commanded but you didn’t.

 

Who wouldn’t find the situation hilarious and end up hysterical like you?

 

“Yah! Huang Xinlei, I told you to stop!” He growled agitatedly this time.

 

Shockingly, you obeyed.

 

Your laughter died off as you stared blankly at Kris.

 

He grew uncomfortable under your gaze and wondered if you were perhaps frightened by his outburst.

 

But then you resumed your cackling and creases embedded themselves into his forehead. Nope, he should have known you would undermine his authority.

 

“This is so funny. I didn’t think you were the type to meditate on people’s remarks for this long.”

 

Suddenly you paused and pursed your lips out. “Does this mean you also like harboring grudges?”

 

“Do you realize you talk a lot?” Kris sneered but you just shrugged.

 

“I’m a little buzzed from the soju.” You confessed with a cheeky grin.

 

“This is why I told you not to consume alcohol.” He chastised, walking over to pour you a cup of coffee.

 

“It’s not my fault you have friends who like to drink.” You retorted, justifying yourself. “Plus, I also had to chug down your share as well.”

 

Kris sighed helplessly as he handed you the mug. “I didn’t tell you to.” He rebuked as he leaned against the counter.

 

“Can’t you be grateful?” You grumbled. “It’s not like I’m hammered. I know my limit unlike some people.”

 

Blowing on the hot beverage, you brought it to your lips to take a sip. And once the liquid glided down your throat, you wish you hadn’t accepted it.

 

“Aish, how can people drink coffee like this?” You cringed and rushed to fetch some cream and sugar.

 

“It’s so strong and bitter.”

 

“But that’s how I take my coffee. Besides, it’s supposed to help with the alcohol in your system.” Kris pointed out knowingly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter