First Meeting

The Bet

Time is running out, 3rd year in high school, finals are approaching as each day passed by.

“Where are the two of them?” a student asked.

“Who knows? Probably ditching again,” another replied.

“Wonder why  they keep doing that…” the same one mumbled.

“It’s their friendship I guess, them ditching together that is,”

“What’s gonna happen after graduation you think?”

Who is the two you asked? In the corner of the hallway, on the third storey, there was this classroom that no one uses. It was sort of abandoned, as it was too far and the school population is not that large enough to use up all the classrooms either. Hence, it was empty all the time. And that was how I found this room, my hideout whenever I want to ditch classes. It had been that way, me alone in the classroom, for the first two years I studied here. However this year, it changed, he came. Not that I invited him or anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh…Miss Kim has a relationship I see,” I noted as I looked through the binoculars, peeping into one of the classrooms on the second storey where I see two people making out. One of them my English teacher, and the other was a student. How scandalous now.

What’s good about this room is that, the other classroom on the other side, was where I always see couples committing some lovey dovey acts. I may sound erted but I’m not. So like I was saying, peeking into that room can let you get some gossips you would never have known, some hidden relationships like the one I’m observing now.

Suddenly, the door behind me was pushed open, and even slammed shut. Before I could even see who it was, the person strode to me and grabbed my binoculars away.

“How rude,” I commented before looking at who the intruder was.

“Miss Kim….” He sobbed as his hands shook.

“Woah…are you crying?” I asked as I glanced at him. Sure enough he was crying. Who was he exactly?

Slowly, he removed the binoculars from his eyes, and passed them back to me, without even looking at me. I tilted my head and tried peeking at him again, his eyes were glistening with tears.

“Hey, you alright?” I patted his back.

His head turned and he glared at me, I was shocked and took a step back. Soon after, his eyes softened, and a new batch of tears trailed down his cheeks.

“How can Miss Kim be with him now, I’m much more handsome,” he pouted.

*Is this guy being serious now?*

I watched as his expression turned serious again. “No, I must expose their relationship right now!” My eyes widened, if he was to expose them, my hideout would be discovered, and then I would not be able to ditch! Oh no he’s not going to tell.

Immediately I wrapped my arms around his waist to prevent him from running out. “Let’s make a bet shall we, I win you don’t tell, you win and I would let you go,”

I felt him calm down before I released my arms. Reaching into the pocket of my blazer, I took out a few poker cards, 4 red and 4 black. I spread them out in a shape of a fan –face-down, and placed it in front of him. “Pick one card,” he raised his eyebrow but still picked one out, “now, choose red or black without looking at the card,” I instructed as I kept the other seven.

“Red.”

“Then I shall choose black then, the card you’re holding now, if it is red, you lose, if it is black, I lose, fair?” I smiled.

“Fair,” he said, and flipped the chosen card over.

The card was a red Ace. “I win,” I smiled.

He sighed in defeat, “I guess.”

“So, care to tell me about this one-sided love of yours,” I teased.

“Why should I, I don’t even know you,”

“Well then,” I held out my hand, “I’m Noh Jihyun.”

He looked at my hand for a while before deciding to shake it, “I’m Park Chanyeol.”

That was how we both met, how we both ended up ditching classes together. We might have been in the same class, but because I ditched so often, we ended up not getting to know each other before at all. It was amazing to him how many secret relationships there is in this school. Since then, we started to peep on students or teachers together in that classroom. What a strange thing to do. But, it became our habit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hey, do you think it is really okay to keep doing this?” I said as I sat on the ground while Chanyeol continued peeking. “I mean, things like going to school with others, having a relationship, I don’t have any memories of those,” I complained, “my high school is just going to be a bore like this, with only the memories of peeking on others, how interesting.” My words were full of sarcasm.

“Is it okay for you to not study then,” Chanyeol removed the binoculars and stared at me.

“Well, it’s not like I’m planning to go to some top college like you do,” I shrugged, “anyway, don’t you have any regrets on leaving high school?”

“My…three years…were all about Miss Kim.” He mumbled.

“Omo.” I feigned shock, “how sad,” I trailed my finger down my cheeks, mimicking how one would cry.

“Shut it,” Chanyeol shot back. “If you really have that much regrets, go make memories or something, sitting here all day and complaining, do you really think that works?”

“Oh! True. Expected from Chanyeol, such wise words, maybe I should go and create some memories.”

“Hey, Chanyeol,” I tugged at his sleeve, “let’s play a game,”

Saying that, I took out the same eight cards, we were familiar with this routine already, the game that was always helping us to decide on things. Chanyeol reached out and picked one card, “So, what’s the conditions this time round?” he smirked.

“If I win, you would fulfil my wishes of creating more memories,” I grinned.

“Alright, fair enough, as long as it’s not anything too drastic,” he shrugged, “Black.”

“Red then.”

A red Ace. I won once again.