Audition

Audition

I stood in front of the three judges and held the mic to my mouth.

"Hello, I'm Park Chanmi and I'm fifteen years old. I'm here to audition to be an idol." I bowed at the end.

The lady at the left end pushed her glasses up and looked down at her papers. "Yes, what will you be doing today?"

"I will be singing the Cantonese song, Love Is Not Enough by Raymond Lam."

"Thank you. Please start when you are ready."

"Yes." I looked to the music director and nodded for the music to start. The beating piano comes and I wait for the key to start. I put all of the practices at home and in talent shows into my voice and sing the lyrics accordingly. I finished the required length, which was two minutes, and put down my mic before regulating my breath. I looked at the ladies in front of me and wait for their confirmation.

The lady at the other end of the table was looking at me with her chin placed on top of her interlaced fingers propped up by her elbows on the table. The lady in the middle was writing something down on what seems to be my audition review paper. Finally, the lady on the left spoke.

"Thank you, Chanmi-sshi. Can you show us a dance? It can be something already choreographed or something you made."

"Yes, I will be dancing to SHINee's Lucifer."

The lady on the right raised her eyebrows. "Really? That dance is pretty difficult."

"Yes." I looked at them but not directly since it's rude.

"Alright, music cue." The lady in the middle directed.

The techno and cutting beat came on and I danced Taemin's parts. The invisible lines tied to my joints pulled and released at the right moments for the right moves.

While I was dancing, I noticed the ladies whispering to each other. I didn't know if that was a good sign or not but kept the thought in the back of my mind at that moment.

When my dance ended, I stood back into my original spot and waited for the outcome. All of the ladies were writing and none of them had an expression while writing. Waiting for what seem like a tortured eternity, the lady in the middle spoke.

"Park Chanmi."

I held my breath.

"You passed this audition."

I stopped breathing. The lady continued.

"Your vocal skills are very good and we are guessing it is because of the talent show you've won. Or at least that's what it says here." She looked down at her papers then up again. "And your dance skills are quite exquisite. Our Jimin here," she gestured to the lady on her right, "Is one of the dance teachers in the training program and she thinks you are quite a dancer."

Jimin spoke up, "And getting a compliment from me is very rare among trainees."

"So we've heard." The lady in the middle interjected. "Anyways, you have passed the audition and you will be mailed the instructions and rules following this. Thank you for auditioning and congratulations." She smiled.

I smiled and bowed a multiple of times, "Thank you! Thank you so much!" I kept bowing to them until I reached the door.

Closing the door, I walked to the entrance, smiling the whole way. Immediately after exiting the building, I called my brother.

"Oppa! I made it! I made it!"

"Woah woah, made what?" His low voice groaned through my ears. He must've been sleeping.

"The audition! I passed it!" I squealed into the mouthpiece as I walked to the bus stop.

"What audition?" He asked, slight alert now.

"The SM audition! I just did it!"

"They told you the results that fast? Don't they usually mail you the results?" He asked, completely awake now.

"Oh yeah. Oh wells. I guess that's a good sign." I reached the bus stop and saw the bus already coming.

"But they're supposed to mail the results." He said, persistant. "What did you do for your audition?"

"Love Is Not Enough by Raymond Lam and danced to Lucifer by SHINee."

"Hmm, this is weird. I'm gonna talk about this with my mangaer, alright?"

"Alright! I'll see you Sunday then!" I smiled into the mouthpiece as I scanned my bus pass in the bus.

"Stop speaking like that. I can literally see exclamation marks."

I laughed, "Arrasso oppa. See you."

"See you." In the background, I could hear someone screaming, "Park Chanyeol! Do not speak on the phone while doing your business!"

"Oppa! That's disgusting!" I scream-whispered in fear of the other passengers' staring at me.

"Haha. Don't worry Chanmi. I was finished before D.O. yelled at me."

"Still."

"Arrasso. I won't do that again. Goodbye dongsaeng."

"You better! Bye bye oppa." I smiled and hung up. For the rest of the ride, I kept smiling out the window.