Pearly Drops

Pearly Drops

 

The first time he saw her was when he took a shelter under a bus stop from the heavy rain. She was soaked, her hair clinging wetly on her round face. Her white shirt stuck to her curved body. He averted his eyes, trying not to imagine other things.
 
She was trembling with cold. Her slender arms wrapped around her lean body, trying to warm herself. He didn't normally do this but the sight of the girl standing there with shattering teeth made him shrugged off his favourite jacket and hung it around her body.
 
She was startled. He can see that in her eyes when she turned around with that round eyes boring a hole at him, teeth shattered against each other.
 
"Thanks, but I can't take this." she tried to remove the jacket but his hand stopped her actions with a firm hold on her wrist. Her surprisingly warm hands sent a jolt to his cold body and he jerked his hand quickly.
 
He saw his bus approaching and he smiled assuredly at her. With a shook of his head, he took a step forward onto the oncoming bus. "Take it. You need it than me."
 
He climbed up into the slightly warmer bus, taking a window seat at the back of it. He gave her a small wave as she sent him away with her soft brown eyes.
 
 
 
*****
 
 
 
The second time he saw her was in the convenience store with his hands full of bags of chips, beers and other not so important stuff. He dumped them on the counter with an annoyed sigh, muttering about a bunch of lousy friends he had bullying their hyung to get what they want on a cold winter night. He was still complaining when an amused voice startled him making him looked up, staring at the familiar face.
 
“Hey, it’s Mr Nice Guy.” She smiled widely, making her round eyes turned into an almond shape. He blushed slightly with the name, shades of pink tainted his cheeks.
 
“Hey back.” He groaned inwardly with his lameness. His hand traveled up to his neck, scratching it before an awkward smile crept up into his face, turning his eyes into narrowed slits.
 
“What are you doing here?” she asked while her hands busied scanning the price tag.
 
“I—“ he didn’t had the chance to speak when he heard a chuckle and an amused ‘cherry’. She was holding a small plastic package with a teasing smile.
 
“You don’t need to explain. I get it.” She chuckled some more before proceeding with scanning other stuff.
 
“Wh—What? No!” He flailed his arms helplessly, looking like an idiot. He groaned (inwardly) again before stuttering the most coherent sentence he can managed.
 
“That wasn’t mine! My friend asked me to buy it for him. I have got nothing to do with it.” His voice was almost begging. He didn’t want this girl to think he was a bastard or worse, a addict.
 
“Uh huh..” She was teasing again and he didn’t like the smirk formed on her face.
 
“But—“
 
“20 dollar.”
 
“I’m sorry?” confusion was apparent on his face.
 
“20 dollar. The total amount.” She pointed at the screen, raising her eyebrows. Her side of mouth quirked upwards as she tried to hide an amused smile.
 
He scratched his neck again; a habit when he’s nervous. “Oh yeah. Right..” he paid her and shuffled quickly outside the store before her loud voice stopped him in his track.
 
“Wait. I think I have your jacket somewhere in my bag.” She ducked under the counter, pulling out a huge pink bag.
 
He looked outside. White snow fell down lightly, covering all the things it came in contact with white fluffy layer. He smiled again, glancing at the girl at the counter. “Keep it.” And he went outside, with two heavy grocery bags swinging by his side.
 
 
 
*****
 
 
 
The third time he saw her was when her face was propped up on the high counter with a stack of nursing books next to her face.
 
“So you’re a librarian.” Her loud voice echoed inside the quiet library. Some students threw her annoyed looks but she ignored them, beaming brightly at him.
 
He smiled slightly, quietly scanning the books and recorded them on the computer.
 
She hummed softly only to be hush by the same group of students. She beamed and mouthed a silent apology before bowing to them.
 
He wanted to laugh at her but this is a library after all so he kept his mouth shut and smiled. With the last book scanned, he gave them to her explaining in a soft voice the rules of borrowing the books. With a few enthusiastic nods, she skipped outside humming the same song loudly.
 
He chuckled at this and loud voices hushed him.
 
Jinki rolled his eyes.
 
 
 
*****
 
 
 
He shivered in cold, his teeth shattered loudly against each other. His forgetful brain served him well this time when he accidentally left his coat in the library. He was halfway through to the bus stop when he realized it but he was too lazy to turn back so he continued on walking.
 
His bus was running late this time and he grumbled under his breath, rubbing his hands together creating some friction to warm up his hands.
 
A soft chuckle and a familiar ‘hey’, he turned around to be met with a beaming girl.
 
“Mr Guy.”
 
“But I told you that’s not--”
 
“I’m kidding!” she laughed loudly. Her soft auburn curls bounced with every shook of her body.
 
“Jinki.” He repeated his name again when she looked at him confusedly. She nodded, mouthing his name a few times with those plump lips.
 
They stayed quiet after that, not uttering another word. Jinki wanted to hear her voice again but he can’t conjured up anything decent enough that’s going to make him less awkward and more macho so he kept quiet.
 
He trembled some more, his thin shirt was not helping him either. Suddenly he felt something warm and heavy on his shoulder and he glanced sideways.
 
She stood behind him, wrapping the jacket around his body. He tried to refuse saying that she needed it more than him but she merely laughed.
 
“What do you mean I need it more than you, Guy? Just look at yourself.” She pointed at him. Soaked, wet and cold. Yup, he definitely needed it more than her.
 
They stood there waiting, with him hugging the jacket tightly to his body. He’s not feeling warm, but it was better than before.
 
They listened to the sounds of rain hitting the rusty rooftop of the bus stop. Noisy but calming somehow. He watched the puddles of water splashing when cars ran through them. He hummed along softly with the frogs, creating a surprisingly harmonious melody.
 
“I love rain.” She whispered softly, tuning in with the soft breeze, messing up her bangs slightly.
 
“Oh yeah?” he cocked his head slightly, extending his hands out of the shelter, wetting them with the cold drops of early spring. He smiled at the lean auburn girl, his pretty much nonexistent eyes narrowed into slits.
 
“Me too..” he whispered as he captured in a deep warm kiss.