The Last and Only One.

Hopeless

"Yeah." Jessica said indifferently as Tiffany came out of the dressing room. "It's pretty on you." They were the same words she had said when Tiffany came out with other dresses before this one, the words were just slightly different. 'It's nice.' 'This one's nice too.' or a 'You look pretty.' It was the truth but she was not interested in helping her friend choose a dress whatsoever. 

Why'd she have to be the one to help her choose? Why couldn't he be the one helping her? Questions were hurting her head.

She watched quietly, giving a small smile every so often as she watched Tiffany come out of the dressing room a million times.

She hoped that maybe her friend would just decide not to get one, but that's not going to happen.

They've been friends since forever, and when I say forever I mean like since they were twelve years old, so eleven years...eleven long years of friendship. 

During those years she realised that there couldn't be anyone better than her friend- no, best friend Tiffany Hwang. 

And maybe, just maybe... she was getting a little too attached to the girl. 

When they were in twelfth grade, the last year of high school, Tiffany got a boyfriend.

He was guy everybody knew, Jessica knew him, they got along, they were friends.

But she slowly started to hate him, maybe because of jealousy, maybe because she wished she was him.

She wished she could be the one beside Tiffany instead of him.

Who is he, you ask? He's football team captain, Choi Siwon. 

Every girl in the school admired him, he was like a star, an idol. Good looks, good personality, let's just say he was a nice guy.

But Jessica, she was the only one that didn't feel the same as everyone, she had officially hated him after he got together with her best friend.

Tiffany didn't catch on so fast but she did noticed the strange distance between her boyfriend and Jessica after she started dating him.


5 years ago (age 18)


They were at Jessica's house, doing homework or just hanging out as usual.

"Jessi..." Tiffany looked up from the textbook and to Jessica who was beside her.

Jessica's eyes were still fixed on reading the textbook as she answered. "Yeah?"

"Can I ask you a question?"

"No, you can't."

Jessica laughed at her lame joke. "I'm just joking, what is it Tiff?" Tiffany let out a small chuckle.

"It's kind of random... but... " She hesitated before asking. "Did something happen between you and Siwon?"

Jessica moved her gaze away from the textbook and stared at the pale blue wall infront of her. 

What was she supposed to tell Tiffany? 'I hate him because I'm in love with you.' ?

"What do you mean?" Jessica asked, hoping Tiffany would just drop the question.

"I was just wondering because you guys aren't talking as much as you used to..." Tiffany said with a sad smile on her face.

"It's not because of me... is it?" She added.

Jessica sighed and stared at the textbook in her lap. Not reading anything particular, just staring at it blankly thinking about what to say.

"Why would it be?" She gave a smile to convince Tiffany that it was the truth, when really she was just lying.

Tiffany stared at her friend intently, studying her face, her eyes. She knew, she knew that Jessica was lying, but she didn't know why.

"So then...what happened?"

Jessica glaced at her watch. "Tiff I'm hungry, wanna go eat now?" She asked, ignoring the girl's question completely. 

Tiffany got the message, Jessica didn't want to talk about it so she just gave up. "Hmm... ok, let's go!"


KWON YURI : Just another friend. 


Kwon Yuri, this girl was also one of Jessica's best friends even though she was a year younger than Jessica. They had met during Jessica's last year of high school and stayed as friends even after Jessica graduated. It was easy for them to stay close since Yuri lived five houses down from hers.

She was the only one that Jessica could talk to about her feelings. She was also the only one that knew about it, about Jessica liking Tiffany.

Yuri didn't have much of a close relationship with Tiffany, but that doesn't mean they didn't get along, they had a lot of things in common actually.

Yuri's favorite sport was football, so was Tiffany's.

Yuri's favorite class was Physical Ed., so was Tiffany's. 

There are more things but listing more would just take forever.

Even though they have lots of common things, It meant that they had a lot of uncommon things as well.

Tiffany was more of the girly type. Yuri was boyish, even though she doesn't look like it, she's the type to spend her whole day fixing a car rather than going shopping with friends. 

Tiffany's favorite color was pink while Yuri's was a chocolate brown. 

Yuri and Tiffany could have been the best of friends if they wanted to but Yuri just thought that if she was too friendly with Tiffany, It'll only make things worse for herself.

Yuri didn't exactly dislike the girl, maybe she was feeling a bit like how Jessica felt about Siwon. 

She was just, simply...jealous. Yuri had liked Jessica even before she had met the girl but she never had the courage to go talk to her, she would just watch Jessica from a distance that is until Jessica's last year at the school, Yuri decided it was time to take action.

That year, Jessica and Yuri became great friends and Yuri's love for the girl only grew. 

But she gave up on loving Jessica after learning that the only person Jessica could ever love, was Tiffany. 

Truthfully, Yuri still liked Jessica. It wasn't something you could just stop. 

Everytime they were together, Jessica would always mention something about Tiffany.

Yuri could only smile sadly when hearing Tiffany's name and sometimes she would just tell Jessica. "I wish I was more like her." With a small chuckle.

Jessica chuckled along with Yuri during those times, thinking of it as a joke, "Of course, doesn't everyone want to be like her?" 

But she didn't know about Yuri's feelings for her and Yuri regret not telling Jessica, but maybe it's better that she didn't tell. 

She's happy to have Jessica as a friend and when Jessica's happy, she'd be happy too. Even if she was hurting, she'd try her hardest to be happy.


3 years ago (age 20)


After hearing the door bell go off the first time, Yuri put down the book she was reading and crawled off her bed and made her way to the door. The ringing didn't stop though, It got faster each step Yuri took down the staircase. "Aish, I'M COMING!" She ran down the stairs and opened the door, only to be pushed aside gently by a blonde. 

"I need to talk."  The girl slumped onto the nearest couch.

Yuri rolled her eyes at the girl then smiled. "No 'hi' ? not even a 'hey' ? Wow you must have a lot to tell me today." She chuckled as she closed and locked the door.

"Don't you ever pity me?" Jessica frowned.

Yuri stared at the girl, her smile faded. She sighed. "All the time."

"Do you want some water before we get started?" She asked calmly.

"No." Jessica replied. She nodded and sat down beside Jessica. 

"So...." Yuri stared at the girl, waiting for her to start. 

"Marriage..." Jessica said quietly, It was not even as loud as a whisper.

Yuri couldn't hear her clearly. "What?" 

Jessica raised her voice a bit. "They were talking about.. marriage." Her voice got shaky on the last word. 

Yuri could see tears in Jessica's eyes, threatening to fall. Just like everytime. She could only curse Tiffany in her head. "Tiffany, you *******. You told me you wouldn't-" She stopped thinking after seeing that a tear had dropped down Jessica's cheek.  

"Why is she doing this to me?" She asked Yuri as more tears streamed down her face. "She asked me for my opinion."

"What?!" Yuri shouted. "This girl...." She rolled up her sleeves and stood up.

"Yuri sit down I'm still talking!" Jessica pulled Yuri back onto the couch. 

Yuri sighed. "What'd you tell her?" 

"What was I supposed to tell her Yuri?" Jessica wiped her tears with the back of her hand. "I couldn't tell her not to." 

"Jessica..."

Jessica started laughing quietly while tears continued to fall. "Then she asked me something funny."

"...What'd she say?" Yuri hesitated to ask.
 
"Five words. Why. Won't. You. Stop. Me." Jessica chuckled. "Isn't she funny Yuri?"

Yuri had nothing left to say, she could only stare sadly at Jessica's face. Thinking about why Tiffany asked Jessica that, wasn't she happy with Siwon? 

Jessica stared blankly at nothing in particular, tears still streaming down her face as she replays what happened a few hours ago in her head. 


At the mall (3 hours ago)


"Jessi, Siwon was talking about marriage yesterday." Tiffany told Jessica as she skimmed through the rack of clothes, checking the price tags of the ones she liked then pouting after seeing that it was too expensive.

Jessica felt a sharp pain in her heart everytime she heard that guy's name. She let out a sigh. "...Oh, did he? what'd he say?" She asked even though she didn't want to know.

"He asked me if I had ever thought of getting married one day."

"...Have you?" Jessica asked with a blank expression without even looking at Tiffany. 

"I don't know.... I think it's too early to be thinking about that." Tiffany answered. 

Jessica nodded. "I guess so."

"Hey Jessi, let's say.. that maybe ..one day he really does proposes, should I marry him?" Tiffany asked as if Jessica's answer really mattered to her.

"Why are you even asking me?" Jessica thought as she looked at Tiffany. She answered in her head. "Even if I said no ...you'd still marry him, wouldn't you?"

But what came out of was different. "If it makes you happy, then... you should." It was a lie but at the same time it wasn't. She truly wanted Tiffany to be happy but she didn't want her to be with Siwon. 

She put the shirt she was holding back where it came from. 

"You don't want me to." Tiffany bluntly stated.

Jessica furrowed her brows at the girl. "Why do you say that?"

"Because I know you don't like him." Tiffany answered. "I don't know what happened between you two but I know you Jessi, you don't want me to marry him."

Jessica stared at the girl. Tiffany sighed. "The promise, the promise Jessi. 'We both must agree on the person we marry.' "

"We made that promise like ten years ago." Jessica chuckled. 

"I don't care how long ago it was, a hundred, a million years, who cares, it's still a promise. So tell me Jessi...." Tiffany paused. 

"...Why won't you stop me?"

"Because I want you to be happy." Jessica told her with the biggest smile she could make (It wasn't that big). 


3 years ago, two days after the talk with Jessica (8:05AM)


Yuri knocked on the front door of Tiffany's house.

Why was she even here?

As you know, they aren't that close. Yuri just couldn't take it anymore, The image of Jessica crying was burned into her mind.

She has probably seen Jessica crying more than she has seen anything else. 

The door was opened by a Tiffany still in her pajamas. The girl rubbed her sleepy eyes. "Hm? Kwon ...uh Kwon Yuri?"

"Hi Tiffany." Yuri greeted with a smile. At least Tiffany remembered her name, they haven't talked in months.

The last time they talked was when Yuri exposed Jessica's feelings to her.  

"It's so early..... do you need something?" Tiffany raised a brow at the girl.

Yuri chuckled. "Sorry for disturbing your sleep, I...I just wanted to talk to you."

"It's cold, come in and we'll talk." Tiffany smiled and moved aside so Yuri could get in.

Tiffany got some water for herself and Yuri and then she sat down opposite of Yuri.

She hummed. "Hmmm.... so... what do you want to talk about?"

"Jessica." Yuri said straightforwardly.

Tiffany nodded slowly. ".... And ...what about Jessi?" 

"Do you know why she's been so.... down lately?"

"Down?"

Yuri sighed. "Don't act like you don't see it."

"What do you want to know, Yuri?"

"Me? I'm not sure."

Tiffany squinted her eyes at Yuri. "Then what are we talking about?"

"I already told you, we're talking about Jessica." Yuri smirked, she always liked playing around before getting straight to the point.

"It's because of me, isn't it?"

"Isn't it obvious? Tiffany... didn't I tell you last time-" 

"I'm sorry." Tiffany hung her head low, disappointed in herself.

"Do you love him?" Yuri asked suddenly. 

"Siwon?" 

"Who else?!" Yuri retorted.

"I don't know, I don't know anymore." Tiffany sighed. It was true, Her love for Siwon was starting to fade a bit. The guy made her more sad than happy because everytime she looked at him, she could only think of her best friend being sad.

She was stuck, right in the middle. She didn't want to hurt her boyfriend nor did she want to hurt Jessica.

Yuri took a sip of water then placed the glass back down. "She cried again last night."

"I thought she would..." Tiffany leaned back on her chair and let out another sigh.

"Then why'd you tell her? I told you not to tell her things about you and him!"

"Don't you think she'd feel even more hurt if I hid it from her?"

Silence filled the room, they could hear the ticking from the clock.

"One is going to get hurt in the end." Yuri smiled sadly.

"One is already hurting." Tiffany told Yuri. "Is it the end yet?"

Yuri shook her head no. "You can still fix it, can't you?"

"I can't." Her voice was quiet. The ticking could be heard again. Time was passing. The end is nearing.


Back to present day (age 23)  


"Jessica! You're late! but you're here!" Taeyeon, Tiffany's cousin shouted happily. She was one of the bridesmaids along with Jessica. 

"What? Did you think I wasn't gonna come?" Jessica smiled and smacked the short girl lightly on the head. She was late because she was thinking about coming or not.

She really didn't want to go to the wedding but Tiffany would be hurt if she didn't. 

"Tiffany's happiness before anyone elses." Jessica reminded herself with a sigh.

She walked around the place, trying to search for the main girl. 

"Hey." Jessica stopped walking once she heard the voice.

She turned around and smiled at the girl. "I told you that dress looked pretty." 

Tiffany took a few steps closer to Jessica. "You told me that every dress looked pretty..." She chuckled.

"It was the truth." Jessica smiled.

"I had a dream last night." Tiffany's smile disappeared.

"Did you? About what?"

"...That you weren't going to come." Tiffany sighed but her smile came back shortly after. "But you're here, so I'm happy." 

Jessica nodded. "You should be happy, You're getting married."

Tiffany stared at her, she could see sadness in Jessica's eyes. "...Yeah." She nodded her head slowly as well. 

Jessica didn't want to watch it. It was coming, the 'I dos', everything she hated, everything she wished never happened.

Her heart was hurting the whole time, but there was no way for her to stop it. Tiffany had made her choice. 

In this world, There is no happy ending for Jessica, She was hopeless. 


After party

The loud music pumping into her ears were starting to make her head hurt. 

"Hey..." She felt a tap on her shoulder and turned towards it. It was Yuri. "You alright?" she asked.

"Yeah... of course. She got married, it's what she wanted, she's happy. Everything is ok." Jessica smiled.

"Why'd you come? I told you not too." Yuri sat on the bar stool beside Jessica.

"She'd be sad if I didn't."

Yuri smirked. "If I were you, I wouldn't have came, revenge."

Jessica rolled her eyes at Yuri.

"Where is she anyways?" Yuri asked as she looked around. There were crowds of people dancing, it wasn't easy to find her.

"Who cares." Jessica sighed.

Yuri looked back to Jessica. "I'm sorry."

"I hate her!" Jessica shouted. "I..."

"You liked her."   

She looked to Yuri with tears in her eyes, the truth killing her slowly. "No...."

"I loved her."


 

The end.

 

 



A/N: TT____TT ....