He and I

He and I

His hair is shorter now. He must be taking care of himself really well, much different from me. Ever since our break-up, we hadn't taken the opportunity to talk, even when we had occasionally run into each other. As I'm looking at him now, talking to one of his work peers, he seems happy. If not happy, content. I only wish I could feel half of whatever he's feeling right now. Honestly, I'm still torn, broken inside. There really was no reason for our relationship to go the way it had; I'd never realized when it started to go bad. One day we were cuddling with an old movie on, and the next day, I was in shambles on our kitchen floor, painting the tiles with milk. If I'd seen his departing sooner, maybe I could have saved us. Maybe I wouldn't feel like God had cheated me out of all the luck I was allowed to have in my lifetime. Maybe I'd still have the man I love by my side.

 

I could feel her. I've been ignoring her ever since that one morning. Nothing went wrong; she did absolutely nothing wrong. It was me. That morning, I had woken up to her sleeping face. Of course I loved her, that's why my expression was gentle and I couldn't help but be drawn to her soft, pink lips. Just as if they were made for me, they fit right with mine as I pressed our lips together. But as soon as I had pulled away, I realized I was about to make the biggest mistake of my life. I ended up running. I ran away. I didn't know why. To this day, I still don't know why. Maybe everything seemed too perfect that I just found the reason I shouldn't be with her: the woman I loved...she was too perfect for me.

 

Was there a flaw in me? Was I not a good enough girlfriend? I thought that with him teasing me and constantly telling me how much he loved me, he'd always want to be with me. That's what he said, that we'd always be a part of each other. That morning, I'd thought he was in the bathroom and had gotten up to make breakfast. I was in a good mood, I still remember. I was singing and dancing around, happy to have the man I love still with me so bright and early in the day - he's usually never with me then, as work always called. But when I closed the refrigerator and my eyes glanced up, my life suddenly became the mess of shambles that they still are today.

 

Bye. That's all I wrote. I couldn't even say it to her. I couldn't explain it to her, the reason I had thought about leaving. I don't even know why I couldn't even write 'good-bye', but just scratched the last syllable of that word onto the sticky piece of paper. I couldn't explain anything to her, when I didn't know the reasons, myself. But as much as I knew, she was too perfect for me. No, I wasn't a defected man. And I'd always known she'd never seen me that way, either. I was just scared. Too afraid. She was so completely amazing, that I found myself trying to find a flaw in her. 'Maybe one day, she'd stop loving me. Then, what will I do?' I'd thought. 'I'd hurt too much to go on.' 'And what if she was fake all along? Then, I would've been the fool to have fallen in love.' Many things came up in my mind, but which ever one I somehow ended up choosing as my reason for leaving her, I can say, was never the right one.

 

He's leaving, leaving me again. Okay, so maybe he can't see me sitting here, watching him with a painful, swelling heart...but I feel just like I did that morning all over again. He and his friend finally finished their coffee and were getting back to work. What should I do? Where should I go? Do I take up courage and brush pass him, hoping for the millionth time that he'd stop me or call my name? Or should I just turn around and finally begin my new life?

 

Screw this! I looked over my buddy's shoulder and finally, I caught sight of her eyes. There she was, with those eyes I could never forget. I knew I felt her presence earlier! What is she doing here, anyway? She'd never liked this congested part of town, as all the people here are business workers. Suddenly, as if outside of my own control, my legs moved and my arms pushed my friend aside so that I could get to her. I smiled. That smile was for her; it was the smile I gave no one else, but her. But just as quickly as it came upon my face, it disappeared. Now, I think I know how she felt when I had left her those many mornings ago...because here I am, falling from the high my heart had just received, into shambles.

 

I saw him. For the first time in what felt like forever, he looked at me again. That was all I ever wanted. I wanted to feel the love he had once had for me, and it was all confirmed when I saw the warmth and recognition in his eyes. He saw me, finally. He didn't ignore me again. And that smile, the one he’d always only shown to me...it was back on his face, and brighter than ever. But it all ended again. That glowing, lovely face I love, now faded. My heart that was beating at 100 miles an hour, felt like it had stopped. My life that was suddenly hopeful again, dulled. I was back to my reality.

 

Another man. I didn't know if what I saw was right, was real. As soon as I approached her, another man had done the same. But unlike me, he wrapped his arm around her. And unlike me, I felt, he actually had the right to do so. I was too hesitant, and too late. Why is this happening? Why did I let her go in the first place? My perfect woman, the one I love, was now never able to be mine, again....

 

I never wanted anyone else but him. But now, I guess it was time that I let someone else in. This new person…I may never be able to love this new person. And the single reason would be because of him.

 

This time, I let her go. I let her walk away. I knew that I would always regret it, but I just let things be. If we were meant to be, fate would have already let us have each other. I just wanted her to know that I still loved her, but I couldn't even do that.

 

He and I, I wish we were meant to be. I love him. I still do, like I always have. That's why I will never add a past tense to what we had. Love. Never will I say I've loved him, because I still do.

 


{Author's Note:}

Hello, lovely readers! I hope that didn't make you too sad.... Or too confused. Haha. In case there was any confusion, the first paragraph is in YOUR point of view. The rest of the story then alternates between your and Kris'/your bias' point of views, until finally ending with yours. :) Please don't kill me.

It wasn't too short or rushed, was it?? I hope it didn't frustrate anyone. :)

I really wanted to thank you all for showing interest for and reading my story. ♥ Hopefully, you will comment and subscribe! Any constructive criticism is welcomed. Please continue your love and support for me and my stories! ♥♥♥

Thanks and ♥, Tie