1

Two Sides

"Never miss an opportunity to make someone happy, 
even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it"

anonymous

 

 

"Are you sure you heard it right?" Yixing asked his said Liang, who sat back in the metal fold-out chair almost half a sleep. Yixing looked over at his friend and felt annoyed that he was bored by the ceremony, and at such a pivotal moment, too. He reached over and shook him awake. "Did you or did you not say that Lin was winning the award?" he demanded. Liang offered Yixing a crazed look and scratched his head.

"Yes, she is," he said. "God, why are you so obsessed with her?"

"I'm not," Yixing complained. "Is it so bad that I want her to win the Student of the Year award? She's smart, she deserves it."

"Whatever," Liang said, scoffing and shifting in his chair to another, more comfortable position. "You're obsessed with her."

Yixing gave his friend a snide look before redirecting his attention to the superintendent of their school and immersing himself once more in her words. He was just fourteen years old that day, and his school was holding their annual award ceremony in the gym. As per usual, the students sat in fold-out chairs in the center of the gymnasium while parents, guardians, and other visitors sat on the bleachers on either side. At the very front of the event, the superintendent gave her erudite speech about the grand importance of education and how much the students have achieved in their years at the school. 

Most students, like Liang, usually fell asleep until their name was called. Yixing himself had only been given one award for being on the honor roll. But the time had come for their principal to announce the highest achievement a student could win at his school: the Student of the Year Award, which was only presented to the student who had the highest scores, volunteered at the most charities, was involved in the most clubs, and exemplified all the values that the school held. 

And Yixing had high hopes that Hsu Lin would be the winner. Chewing nervously on his bottom lip, Yixing turned his head and looked a ways to his left at Lin, who was sitting with her two friends and all three were listening attentively. Yixing wondered if she was hoping for he rname to be called, too. Her brows moved and twitched and her eyes seemed to shake in their sockets and he wished he could go over and calm her down and assure her that she was the one who would be winning the award. 

He sighed, hating how scared and taciturn he had been toward her all these years despite their being neighbors. She just seemed so good and so high above him that he felt that his climbing could never reach her heights. And he so desperately wanted to be with her. Yixing had crushed on Lin from afar since they were both twelve, but he hadn't the heart or courage to say a single word to her.

"This student never settles for the bare minimum, never settles for her mere best; rather, she continuously pushes herself to excel further than what she could possibly be capable of. There has never been a day when I have not been impressed by her intelligence and her kindness. She reaches out to others and carries herself with humility. I have never met a student more worthy of this award than her."

The superintendent paused breifly and smiled in Lin's direction, and the young girl shyly returned the gesture and her friends elbowed her. "Congratulations, Hsu Lin, class 1A, Student of the Year." 

In sheer ecstasy, Yixing shot up from his seat, clapping his hands in an attempt to make the loudest noise possible, to be heard above the crowd of people.

"Yeah! Hsu Lin! I knew you could do it! Congratulations! Woo!" Yixing yelled at the top of his lungs and jumping up and down. "Yeah! Woo!" A wide idiotic grin was permanently plastered onto his face as he continued cheering and shouting out congratulatory exclamations to Hsu Lin as she had stood up and was walking down the aisle to collect her award. 

But halfway to the front, she suddenly stopped, turned around, and looked right at Yixing. Right then, the noise of his own cheering seemed to be drowned out by the sound of his own heartbeat. Lin had finally noticed him. Her deep, innocent eyes cast a look of seeming... confusion toward him and Yixing wondered what she was thinking. 

He then noticed the superintendent giving him the exact same look of puzzlement. It was only then that Yixing looked around the gym and realized that he had been the only one standing and cheering; the rest of the audience had opted to follow directions and wait until she had collected her award to applaud. The buzzing of the lights were suddenly audible as Yixing himself descended into an awkward silence, watching the crowd that was watching and judging him. The silence was almost suffocating.

"Sit down!" Liang said, grabbing a handful of Yixing's shirt and pulling him back to sit in his chair. Once seated, Yixing promptly slumped down in his seat in an attempt to hide his face out of sheer embarrassment. Lin finally collected her award and the rest of the audience, minus Yixing, applauded and congratulated her as well. 

"You're an embarrassment," Liang said to Yixing, later, laughing and mimicking his cheers in the gym. 

"Oh, just shut up," Yixing said, giving his friend a rough shove after the ceremony. He'd never felt so humiliated ever. And right in front of Lin, too. After the ceremony, many students met up with their parents and their family, who had all prepared gifts and flower wreaths for their children in congratulations. Liang had been given a wreath made from paper money instead, and Yixing's parents had broguht him a regular wreath made from yellow flowers. 

"Seriously, though, I can't believe you did that!" Liang said, giving Yixing another good-natured punch to the shoulder. "You're more obsessed with her than I thought."

"Would you stop?" Yixing said. "I told you, I'm not obsessed with her!"

"Then why'd you give her a standing ovation... all on your own, too, while the rest of us just watched you? Couldn't contain your excitement over your little crush winning an award, huh? Man, you've got it bad."

"I got enough stern talking-to from the superintendent, I don't need it from you, too," Yixing explained. "I just... thought it would be really nice if someone gave her a standing ovation. I mean, you'd do the same for me."

"Sure," Liang said, and Yixing rolled his eyes at his friend's sarcasm. He was about to talk again when someone tapped his shoulder. When Yixing turned aorund, he had not expected Hsu Lin, Student of the Year and object of the biggest crush he'd ever had on a girl, standing before him. His usually pale cheeks colored all of a sudden, and his temperature kicked up a notch.

"L-Lin," he stammered.

"Hi, Yixing," she said with a big smile. "Congratulations!"

"Huh?" he said, not quite grasping what she had said or why. He suddenly remembered the medal he was wearing for being on the honor roll and mentally slapped himself for being so dense. "Oh, right!" he said. "Uh, thanks."

"I just wanted to say--,"

"About... what happened in the gym?" he said. "Ok, I am really sorry. I didn't mean to embarrass you or anything, I just... I don't know, I was being stupid."

"No, it's fine," she said, her kind smile making the negative feelings go away. "I mean, it was a little bit weird with you being the only one cheering, but it's whatever now. It was kind of funny, actually. And sort of sweet."

"Oh," Yixing said. "Uh, you're welcome then." Yixing rocked on the balls of his feet as he looked at her, taking in the admirable way her hair so gracefully framed her face, the dark color a stunning contrast against the pallor of her face, the way her deep eyes were like obsidian pendants. She was beautiful, he thought. And after taking in the large gold medal she wore around her neck, he was infinitely appreciative that she was smart, too. 

"My parents are going to have a celebratory dinner for me tonight," she said. "Since we're neighbors, we should celebrate together, right?"

Yixing's eyes widened a bit and he had to dig back into his short-term memory to remember what she had said, exactly. Was she inviting him and his family to dinner? "Huh?" he said again, and she giggled a little.

"Are you listening to me?" she asked. "You and your family should come over to my house tonight, my family is going to have a small dinner to celebrate."

"Oh," Yixing said. "Sure, okay."

"Good," she said. And when all that was done, they were left standing by each other, face-to-face and having nothing to say. Yixing wanted, to some extent, to tell her the real reason he had congratulated her so loudly in the gym and tell her that he too thought she was he most deserving of the award. But suddenly, Lin reached for the red wreath hanging around her neck and transfered it from herself to Yixing. 

"Thank you," she said. "And congratulations. I'll see you later," and with one last smile, she turned skipped back over to where her mother and father were talking to the super intendent. Yixing looked down at the wreath she had given him and felt how warm the blossoms were. It was the first present she had ever given him, and he was only beginning to understand how giving she truly was.

 

 

♦♦♦♦♦

 

"So which version do you like better? This one?" Yixing strummed a tune on his guitar, sprawled out over a couch while Lin studied from a textbook at a desk in the corner. "Or this one? It's basically the same thing except plucking instead of strumming." Yixing played the second choice. In the corner, Lin remained silent. Yixing sighed. 

"Strumming or plucking?" he asked again, purposely making his voice soung a bit distressed. Since going to dinner with her family, Lin and Yixing had become close friends. He retained his crush on her of course, but for now, if her friendship was all he could ever have from her, he was perfectly content. He was perfectly happy just sitting on her couch and playing guitar while she read. They were both fifteen that year, and Lin was being strangely silent.

"Neither," Liang said, who sat on the opposite end of the couch. "Are you trying to write another song?"

"Well, no," Yixing explained. "But in case inspiration hits, I want to have a tune ready, right?"

"Sure," Liang said. 

"Lin, what do you think?" Yixing said, directing the question to where she sat hunched over her books.

"I don't care," she said, her voice sounding strangely heavy. 

"Did you hear the difference?" Yixing asked, playing the two different options again and again. "Strumming or plucking? Just pick one, first or second?"

"Shh!" she said. "I said I don't care!"

Yixing and Liang were both taken slightly back by the hostility in her tone. Sweet and gentle Lin always cared about others, but she was suddenly asserting her own indifference. Something was wrong.

"Are you studying again, Lin?" Liang asked. "I bet you are. But come on it's just a simple question. Yes or no? Yixing, play the options and again and if you like it just give a thumbs up or something. If not, just make some disgusted noise or something to let us know. I mean, it's no fun for us either sitting here with nothing to do and you won't even talk to us and Yixing is here writing his silly song, I mean, the least you could do is just give some kind of answer."

"Do you want to hear it again--?"

A cracking noise suddenly filled the void as Lin had just broken the pencil she was holding and she spun around in her chair to face them. "I TOLD YOU!" she exclaimed. "I don't care right now! I have a huge test in a couple of days and I have't studied at all, and I have a project going on right now and my partner isn't helping at all, and on top of all that my grandfather is sick! Just STOP talking to me, I have to concentrate! God, what is wrong with you? Just leave me alone!"

Both Liang and Yixing held their tongues throughout her outburst, and her obsidian eyes no longer looked bright anymore. In them, Yixing could see reflected the manifestation of something dark and blistering in her life. And her outburst was her cracking under the weight of it all. Lin suddenly choked back a sob, and she turned away from them before she could start crying. Once again facing her desk, the only evidence of her weeping that the boy saw was her quivering back and the sounds of the sobs she was trying to suppress.

"Yixing, I think we'd better leave," Liang said, finally taking something seriously. "Sorry, Lin," he said softly before walking out the door. He had expected that Yixing would follow right after him. But he didn't.

Instead, Yixing scooted even closer to Lin, moving a stool over to the desk so that he could sit right beside her. She has still hiding her face with her hands and crying into them. What could he do? Yixing was hyper aware of the personal boundaries that still prevented him from wrapping he rup in his arms even though it was all he wanted to do. But he did have a guitar with him, and even if his playing was what had gotten her to yell at him, he still had faith that he could help her somehow. 

"Hey," he said softly. "You okay?"

She breathed out a muffled "no" and would not meet his eyes. Yixing took a deep breath, not fully being able to stand the sight of her crying. But he made himself brave and positioned his guitar. Then, he started to strum a soft song

"Waiting, always waiting... To be a shoulder you can cry on... There's no question about it, this is love... I figured that you already told me... The caring I suddenly forgot about... Falling down from heaven to hell, this is love... I willing to change, just what can I do?... Let's try again, I can't just be your ordinary friend...

The song went on and with each verse, Yixing hoped that his playing and his singing could somehow comfort her and give her strength. During his own dark times, whenever he felt small and insignificant and helpless, playing guitar and singing had always been his source of solace. He knew no other way to comfort others aside from music. He wondered what she was thinking now, how she was feeling, and if his song had done its duty. He was finished playing and she still hadn't moved. 

Feeling worried, Yixing reached over and nudged her with his index finger. "Hey," he said again. "You okay?"

"Mhmm," she said, and she sat up, finally showing him her face. Her eyes were red-rimmed from crying, but no longer as sad as before, he noticed. Yixing gave her a happy smile, and she faintly returned the gesture. She suddenly leaned forward and laid her forehead against his shoulder, resting it there for a moment or two until their breathing became even.

"I liked the first one," she said finally, and she laughed a little. The sound of her laugh relieved him. "Sorry," she said. "I was mean."

"It's fine," he said. "I mean, you did yell at me to leave you alone but... you know, I won't."

"Stubborn Yixing," she said. "Not even when I asked you to leave."

"That's not my style," he said.

"What was that song?" she asked. 

"Huh?"

She laughed again and hit his knee with her open palm for being airheaded again. "The song you were singing just now, what was it?"

"Oh, it's Ordinary Friend by David Tao."

"It's beautiful," she said. "And you sing really nicely."

"Hey, so, I know you take school and stuff really seriously," he started saying. "But there are more important things than that. I know right now it doesn't seem that way, but no matter how your grades turn out, no one will think any worse of you. I know I won't."

"Of course you won't," she said. "What would you do without me?" She suddenly looked back up at him with her puffy eyes and bright smile and Yixing felt that his feelings toward her had never been so strong. 

 

♦♦♦♦♦

 

 

They were both sixteen when Lin's family decided to throw her grandfather what would probably be his very last birthday party, and their house was overrun by lost-lost relatives and friends who had come to pay their respects while they still had him. But throughout the event, her poor grandfather was confined to a bed in the second level of their home. 

"How is it possible to even know this many people?" Yixing asked Lin while they were both in her parents' kitchen helping her mother prepare dishes for the guests. "Your grandfather must have been one heck of a guy if this many people absolutely have to see him on his birthday."

"Of course he is," she answered. "I mean, c'mon, you've met him before. He's a good person, great for having conversations, too."

"If you like getting history lessons," Yixing said. "The last time I talked to him, I swear he talked about the Japanese occupation for a whole ten minutes without breathing." 

"His favorite topic to talk about, of course. You're lucky you didn't get the one about The Great Leap, his next favorite. Or he didn't give you all that mumbo jumbo about the myths and legends and stories and stuff, I used to get them all the time when I was younger. I thought they were cool back then after about the seventh or eighth time hearing about the red string of fate, I was just about bored."

"Oh, hush up on all that negative talk," Lin's mother said, lightly smacking her head with a spoon and returning to her pot of stew. "That red string of fate story was always my favorite, and if it weren't for that red string of fate, young missy, you probably wouldn't be here."

"Why's that, Mrs. Hsu?" Yixing asked. 

"Oh, Ma don't tell him," Lin said, facepalming herself. "I've heard it a thousand times!"

"Well, I haven't, this sounds like a cool story. I'd love to hear it Mrs. Hsu."

"Hey," Lin said, pointing the spoon at Yixing like a sword. "Don't encourage her!"

"Well, if you insist," Mrs. Hsu said, switching the fire on the stove from high to low. She turned to face her daughter and Yixing and jumped into her usual story of how she, too, had grown up hearing that story about the red string of fate and never understood how it applied to her until her painstakingly traditional parents arranged a marriage for her to an anonymous man. As a rebelous young girl, of course, she ran away to Beijing where she lived for a year and eventually met and fell in love with a boy who worked as a teacher there. Eventually, her parents found her again and forced her to meet the man she would be marrying, which, as fate would have it, was the exact teacher she had fallen in love with. 

Yixing smiled at the thought of fate bringing Mr. and Mrs. Hsu together. It really was a lovely story despite how bored Lin was becoming of it. 

"See?" Mrs. Hsu said. "Never doubt the power of fate, it can make or break your future. And don't try to overcome it either, in the end, it is the only thing that is absolute. I think the stew is ready." Mrs. Hsu turned aorund and put some of her stew into a bowl and poured a cup of water and set it on a tray. 

"Lin," she said, handing the tray to her. "Take the tray up to your grandfather, he's been nagging me for this soup all day."

"Ma," Lin complained a little. "It's heavy."

"Oh," Yixing said, dropping the knife he'd been using to cut up some radish. He hurriedly went to Lin's said and took the heavy tray from her. "I'll take it, then."

Mrs. Hsu was astounded at his generosity and offered endless praises while calling Lin weak with spaghetti arms. "And you're wearing that silly red skirt again," she said. "I told you to just buy a new one. Look at it, the hed is starting to unravel."

"It's fine, Mama," Lin said, taking the cup of water from the tray to ease Yixing's burden. "I can fix the unraveling later. I'm going to help Yixing bring this up."

The two of them made their way silently up the stairs and Lin knocked on the door before opening it. In the room, her grandfather was still confined to his bed and a life-support machine was stationed near where he lay. It always hurt Lin a little to see him this way, but he never failed to give her a bright smile when she walked in. 

"Is it okay for us to just leave it here?" Yixing asked. Lin looked at him and invited him to come further inside the room.

"It's fine," she said. "I don't think he's much in the mood for history lessons today, anyway." 

The two of them went further into the room and approached the bed, where her bed-ridden grandfather greeted them with a welcoming smile as usual. Yixing could see how much the old man was hurting and how hard he was trying to be strong for the two of them. It was heart-breaking. Why didn't he just cry and let all of the poison out?

"Hi, Grandpa," Lin said with her usual sunny disposition. "Mama made you the soup you like. But it's kind of hot, so don't scarf down the whole thing, I don't care how much you like it. You've met Yixing before right?"

Lin grabbed Yixing's forearm and pulled him up so that he was closer to her grandpa, and he raised his hand with a thumbs up. "He's the Zhangs' oldest boy," Lin explained. "You remember them, don't you? They live next door. Yixing has been helpful lately. He's the one I told you about, remember? The one who embarrassingly got up and started applauding in the middle of the ceremony?"

"You said we would never talk about that," Yixing said, scratching at his elbow. 

"No, you suggested it, but I didn't agree. Besides, it's a wonderful story; don't be so ashamed of being my fan."

"Ha ha," Yixing said. Then, he turned and faced her grandfather and bowed to show his respect. "Uh, hello, sir," he said. "Happy birthday. You should really see how many people came here just to celebrate. You've really impacted a lot of people in your time and now they've all come to pay their respects. I've come for that, too, actually. Lin has told me incredible things about you."

The respiratory mask in front of his face prevented Lin's grandfather from talking, but his expressive eyes, no doubt the origin of Lin's own pair of eyes, did all the talking. The two young ones spoke to him actively as though he were still a lively part of the conversation, and their own vivacity added to his. But somewhere in the conversation, his involvment seemed to drift, and he suddenly reached out to them.

"Grandpa," Lin said, soundign concerned and she reached out to grab his hand. But instead, her grandfather pushed her hand aside and reached out to Yixing instead. The boy extended his hand to the older man and leaned in closer. 

"Yes, sir?" he said. Lin's grandfather took Yixing's wrist and led his hand over to where Lin's was resting on her grandpa's chest. And taking Lin's hand, placed Yxiing's over hers and pressed both of them to his heart. Yixing switched his gaze between his and Lin's hands and her grandfather's face. This times, his eyes were absolute and his meaning was genuinely clear. But he had no idea what it would mean for Lin and him.

After making sure that he was able to eat the soup properly and without spilling, the two of them began to exit the room. Yixing followed behind Lin as they made their way out the door, and Yixing got one last look at the grand old man in his bed before shutting the door. That's when he began to hear a strangely low noise that sounded a bit like fabric rubbing against itself.

Yixing turned around and noiced that the zipper of his jacket had snagged on something, and there was a red thread connected to it. He suddenly turned around to face Lin.

"Lin, wait!" he yelled, and Lin stopped before she could descend the stairs. She was a bit confused as to the reason for his sudden outburst, but when Yxiing approached her, pink-faced and with a red thread wrapped around his fingers, her eyes went down to the hem of her skirt. 

"Oh my gosh!" she exclaimed and snatched the red thread from Yixing's fingers. She noticed the other end of it snagged on the zipper of his jacket and the length of it tangled at a spot directly behind her right knee. Of all the articles of clothing to begin unraveling, it had to have been her skirt. What tricks were fate playing now? Lin felt as exposed as if she were completely . Yixing's blushing did not help either. 

"Sorry," Lin said. 

"Wait," Yixing said, and he went back into the room and when he returned he was wielding a pair of scissors. He walked over behind her and promptly cut the red string that was beginning to unravel. He gathered the string that fell and rolled it into a makeshift ball and put it into her palm. "Wearing such an old, worn-out skirt like that," he said. "It's no wonder it's starting to unravel. This must be your fate then."

Lin looked back up Yixing and the two caught each other's eyes. Yixing still remembered what it felt to have his hand pressed against hers, and he suddenly wondered if her grandfather's intention with that strange gesture had matched up to what he believed it to be. Was Lin really his to keep now? Did it really mean that her heart were his to hold and protect after all? 

And most importantly, was this love?

 

♦♦♦♦♦

 

 

"Everyone hide!" Liang burst into the room bellowing at the top of his lungs. "The janitors are coming!" 

"You were supposed to keep watch!" one of their classmates exclaimed, but instead of a response, Liang just grabbed that boy by the front of his shirt and shoved him into one of the many closets that surrounded the school's fine arts department wing. They were a bunch of 17 year-olds who had decided to hold a sleepover at school to celebrate their last day of school, but of course, had to avoid getting caught.

"Liang, what's going on?" Lin asked. She had just come in from the girls' restroom when he had burst into the room in a fit of hysteria. As with the previous boy, Liang grabbed the back of Lin's shirt and dragged her over to another one of the closets. He opened the door and pushed her inside, where she had crashed against another person who was already hiding in there. 

"Just stay there!" Liang said.

"Wait! What's going on?" Before Liang could answer, he shut the door on her and it was dark and quiet again.

"Ouch," someone said, and Lin slapped her hand over to keep from yelling.

"Who's there!?"

"It's me, Yixing," he answered. "You stepped on my foot."

"Sorr--," Before Lin could complete her apology, the door swung open again and at least five more of their classmates stuffed themselves into the small closet space and shut the door in an effort to hide. With the other kids pushing and shoving, Lin was shoved closer to the back of the closet, further against Yixing, and she had to stretch her arms out in front of her to prevent herself from being completely pushed against him. It was hot enough inside the stuffy closet, and being near him would just make everything worse. 

Lin, Yixing, and the five other kids all pushed and shoved against each other, fighting for more room to move about and breathe, and in the back, Yixing tried his best not to be squished by the others. All the wriggling and pushing and shoving in the closer had caused Lin to face Yixing, her nose barely a breath away from his and it was too dark to see his face. Her right arm was tangled in his left and someone else's leg was tangled in between theirs. 

"Shh! Quiet in there!" Liang yelled, slamming his palm against the outside of the door, and everyone inside promptly shut up. Yixing felt the need to hold his breath, not quite accepting that he was so close to her. He wished at that moment that he could see her, see what her face looked like from up close, look into her beautiful eyes, and just stay in that position. 

The quiet lasted for a long time, almost five minutes; five minutes that Lin's body was so close to his won and five minutes that he could had caught a glimpse of the rest of his life in her eyes. But then Liang finally knocked on the closet door and announced that the janitors had left and the coast was clear again. The door burst open and the other people all filed out, gasping for air. Lin moved away from Yixing and was about to exit, too, when he reache din front of her and closed the door again.

"Wait," he said, and once the door was closed again, Lin turned and faced him, leaning her back against the door. Yixing had no idea what he was doing at this point, but it seemed as though he'd lost control of his body and the actions he was doing now didn't fully belong to him and yet they were everything he'd wanted to do. 

"Yixing," she said, barely a whisper, and just the sound of his name on her lips was enough of a sign to him. He reached up with one hand and touched her face and used the other to cradle her head. Suddenly, the pain in his foot or the aching in his arms from being squizhed in the back for so long began to recede in him. And everything was replaced by a sort of sweetness in the air. 

With just a small distance to close, Yixing leaned in and finally kissed her. And he felt something inside of him opening up and being born, and at the same time something within him melting away, as though hurting in order to heal. It was as though everything within him, all his dreams and longings and wishes and every fiber of his being was starting to wake up the moment his lips touched hers. He was transformed and enchanted and deeply in love. 

At first, the gentle pressure of his lips against hers had caught Lin by surprise, but after registering what was happening, that her Yixing was kissing her, she succumbed to it, succumbed to fate and let it swallow her up, totally engulfed in his kiss. She reached up and interlocked her fingers behind his neck and kissed him right back. 

And they were two 17 year-olds kissing in a small closet and all their feelings made sense now. And though it was quite frivolous of them to think so, they knew at that moment that they were each other's fate. They finally pulled away from each other and Lin said to him, "You kissed me."

Yixing smirked a little. "Well, thanks for confirming that, I wasn't quite sure."

Lin smiled. "No, just... I really didn't think it'd happen. When we walk out of here it's going to feel like a dream again."

As though to dispel her doubts, Yixing leaned forward and kissed her again. "I love you," he said. "And when we walk out of here, I still will."

 


 

Author's note:
OK, I'm an idiot. I'm not sure what I was thinking trying to fit a story of this expanse into a mere oneshot. I really wanted this to be a one-and-done sort of thing, but as I'm writing it now, I realize that this will be longer, perhaps 2-3 chapters. So for now, here is part 1. I shall update again the next time I find some time. Thanks for reading! LOL at her name though, I couldn't think of a Chinese name to use so I just used the most asian name I could think of which was, like, Lin... K, bai. Hehe, the part of Yixing standing up and cheering, that actually did happen at my school. This girl named Karly at my school won the Student of the Year award and this boy (who, notoriously, had a huge crush on her) totally stood up and cheered and he was the only one cheering, omfg, my ship ;D