Chapter fifteen

Bottom of the Food Chain

 

Once again Key tried to drag Onew off and help him with his outfit, like he did with Onew's 'date but not a date, but, this time, Onew let him. He thought that he needed any help he could get and that maybe, if he put more of an effort in, Amber would notice and it would further prove that he wasn’t messing around with her. He would do anything it took to prove it to her, anything she asked or anything she said. He would listen to every word and follow without complaint. He just wanted her to see the truth.

Key was thankfully kind to him though and, instead of treating Onew like a mannequin to test out new looks on, actually put together an outfit which was stylish and flattering but still distinctly Onew and not something that seemed out of place or wrong on him. The outfit was simple, a white t-shirt, a gray casual and fitted blazer and straight legged jeans in a similar shade to the blazer. Key had tried to get his hyung to wear skinny jeans but Onew kept on insisting that they there uncomfortable and restrictive until Key eventually relented and instead placed fedora-esque hat on Onew’s head.

As Onew looked in the mirror, finally being able to see what Key had chosen, Key nodded to himself and looked obviously proud of himself.

“How do I look?” Onew asked, looking at his friend’s reflection in the mirror and expecting a snarky reply about how he looked amazing because Key had chosen his outfit. But instead, he didn’t get that.

“You look like a dork” Key said simply as he took Onew’s glasses off and tucked them into the chest pocket of his blazer before handing him his contacts case. “but you look like a dork that can dress...and, anyway, Amber seems to have a thing for dorks huh?”

Onew blushed lightly as he struggled to get his contacts in. Key always knew what to say to make him flustered and embarrassed, the boy always knew how to get under his skin and sometimes it was a pain but, right there and then, it was useful. It was like Onew didn’t even have to speak for Key to understand him. He blinked a couple of times after he put his contacts in and turned to Key, visibly nervous as he shifted from foot to foot, his army boots squeaking against the floor.

“Well, I hope that’s true” Onew spoke quietly and rubbed the back of his head, knocking his hat to the side slightly and making it sit crooked on his head, and Key tutted as he straightened it back up.

“Well, she wouldn’t say you were handsome otherwise right?”

Onew nodded, he knew that Key was right but he just still found the concept of anyone finding him handsome, most of all Amber, somewhat hard to believe.

Key looked out of the window, to see the sun setting and that it was getting dark before turning back to Onew as he smoothed his hands over the older boy’s shoulders to get any wrinkles out of the blazer.

“Right, do you have everything you need?” Key asked, needing to make sure before he let Onew go as he knew just how forgetful his hyung could be and how awkward it would end up being for both him and Amber if he forgot anything. But Onew nodded again, telling Key that he had everything prepared “You better get going then huh? It’s starting to get dark”

Onew let out a nervous breath as he turned and picked up everything he needed off of his bed. He was sure he had everything, he had checked over and over just to make sure he wouldn’t forget a single thing. He didn’t want anything to go wrong, he didn’t know if he would be able to take it if something went wrong and made things worse. He was already a mess as it was, he didn’t want to find out what would happen if he managed to hurt the girl more.

“You’ll be fine” Key said reassuringly when he saw how nervous the boy was, patting his hyung’s shoulder comfortingly as the older boy checked the address Krystal had given him earlier.

“Yeah....of course, it will be fine” Onew tucked the bit of paper into his pocket, to keep it safe “I’ll see you later”

Key nodded as Onew turned to leave and called after the boy, wishing him luck as he closed the door and left the house, heading to Amber’s house quickly before it could get much darker.

“Yeah Jinki” Onew muttered to himself as he turned the corner at the end of the street “Good luck”


Author's notes:

Yeaaah, this chapter is very short...

But only because I am going to be updating twice tonight so don't worry ^^ I just needed a bit of a filler otherwise it really didn't flow right.

The next chapter will be done soon~ promise <3