*Q*

Snow

 

Large flakes of snow were floating outside the window. I sat and stared at the beautiful snow falling on the ground.

I was, as you might have guessed by now, in a melancholic mood. I’d just passed a great hurdle in life, and I was waiting for the next one. I sat and thought of many things- love being one among them.

I wanted to fall in love. Love had eluded me for so many years. I heard about all my friends falling in love, but I could not relate to them, for it had never come my way. I’m not a die-hard romantic. I just wanted to experience more of life. More of what was coming to me anyway.

I was now staring out of the window without really seeing anything. I was enveloped in my thoughts. My coffee lay ignored on the café table I was sitting at.

Suddenly, I saw a guy coming out of the café door opposite.

The snow had stopped now, I think it was he who made it stop. He had a sharp, well-defined face, and wavy hair that fell enchantingly over his forehead. His eyes were large, and his face had pearly, translucent skin. He wore a  heavy sweater, and gloves. The snow fell on his head however, and I felt this sudden rush of longing to protect him.

I ran to the counter and stuffed a twenty dollar bill into the cashier’s hand and ran out of the café.

He walked ahead, firmly, and erectly.

I followed him, simply because I wanted to.

Suddenly, he turned a corner, and I followed.

I turned  the corner along with him, and found, to my wonder and amazement,  a pair of wings growing from his shoulder blades. Those white wings spread to their fullest extent, and he began to fly away, blending into the snow.

 

I jerked awake.

‘Idiot! Your date’s arrived!’ My friend was shaking me violently.

I woke up, dressed at top speed to meet him. I ran down and met Lay for the first time.

It might have been coincidence, or we were just meant to be together.

For I was picturing a pair of wings sprouting off his firm shoulder blades as we walked side by side.