SUZY

The Gift Box

    When the cat stopped, so did I. We reached some kind of port. A port in the train station was not something common, but even so I did not question it. I was still fantasized by the black cat and its pretty eyes. The cat had its back me, suddenly putting on an unfriendly demeanour. Squatting down, I ran my hand through its back, trying to make it turn around.

    A boat pulled into the port. I wouldn’t call it a boat, um, rather a submarine. Also not entirely a submarine, but definitely it seemed like a marine unidentified object that rules the deep waters. The port was very dark and quiet before the churning of machinery and the light that object emits lit this place up a bit. I stared at the object, taking every corner of it in. It was huge. It was magnificent.

    The double doors of the entrance opened and a blinding light greeted me. A ramp rolled out to the platform. The black cat scampered up without hesitation. It finally faced me. I noticed something different about its eyes. They were just staring blankly at me, as if expecting me to go up there. A man in a navy blue suit walked out. He seemed almost robotic, his steps were stiff and his posture was so unbelievably straight. Sitting on the bridge of his nose was a pair of reflective, round framed glasses. I looked up and saw double of myself in them. Unknowingly, I lifted my right feet-

    Suzy!

    Appa?

    I put my right feet back down as I was squashed in a tight embrace. I smiled when the familiar hands of my father enveloped me. Suddenly, in this cold, empty place, I felt the surge of warmth.

    My father let go and looked me in the eyes. He placed his hands on my shoulder and stood up. One last look at me, and he was walking up the ramp in big, quick steps. In the glasses, I saw a shift of double of myself to double of my father.

    As my father stood on the higher ground, beside the black cat and the man, his face scrunched up into an unreadable expression. It was almost a smile, but the smile never got to his eyes, and I thought I saw a flash of pain in his eyes. I lifted my right foot again, more than ready to join my father in wherever he’s heading. But he stopped me. He shook his head, gave me a reassuring smile, and walked into the blinding light.