1.One- Meeting the locals

The Guys Next Door

 

Minho dropped the three boxes in his arms to the hardwood floor with a resounding thud.  

 

"If you've broken any of the dishes, you're going to have to go and buy replacements AND dinner," Jinki hissed around a pile of boxes as he passed the taller man in the hallway and stepped further into their new apartment.

 

"I don't have any money for replacements," Minho growled, more angry at his own display of clumsiness than at Jinki and the probable fact that the sound of porcelain plates clinking together meant some seriously chipped or broken flatware. "And I definitely don't have money for dinner."  

 

Minho pushed the boxes farther into the living room with his feet, looking Jinki in the eye.  “You have to buy dinner anyway.”  He bent down, gripped one of the boxes more securely and lifted it once more. "I spent all my money on that moving van, and the fridge is empty.”

 

“Not anymore!” Jinki crowed in delight.  “Our first provisions as renters!”

 

Minho peered into the kitchen.  Lo and behold, bottles of beer were on the top shelf. Nothing else, just the beer.
He stepped farther into the mostly empty apartment, giving it a quick once over. He'd seen it already, before they'd signed the 6 month lease. There were surprisingly two bedroom-like rooms, with actual doors, a room that attempted to call itself a bathroom and a modestly sized living space/kitchen (that was more of a hot plate and mini fridge) with counter space enough to seat two. Were they supposed to wash dishes in the bathroom?

 

“Hello?”

 

They turned in unison to see a lovely creature standing in the doorway, looking around interestedly.  “I'm the neighbor from downstairs, wanted to come up and see the elephants.”

 

“We don't have elephants,” Jinki blurted out, blinking.  “We might get a rabbit, but elephants wouldn't fit in the stairwell.”

 

Minho raised an eyebrow at his roommate.  “We are certainly not getting a rabbit.”

 

The man in the doorway looked from one to the other.  Before he could say anything, Jinki interrupted, laughing.
“Sorry about the noise, though.  Minho could care less about eating off the counter, so he broke all of our plates!”  Jinki fairly cawed with laughter, and the stranger in the doorway had nothing to say to that.

 

Minho peered into the box with “KITCHEN” scrawled across the side in careless letters.  A few plates had survived, like, maybe two, so he wouldn't have to eat off the counters.  Satisfied with the future of his dining habits, he turned back to the visitor.  “And you would be...?”  He noted the tiny skinny jeans, fabulously flamboyant hair, and subtle but very there makeup around his eyes.  It was definitely male: skinny jeans tell no lies.

 

“Name's Key, Kim Kibum, but please, call me Key.”  He extended a delicate yet strong hand in Jinki's direction, who stared blankly at it until Minho stepped around him and grasped it.

 

“Don't mind Jinki, he's socially inept.”  Minho smiled around the words in the familiar way of best friends.

 

Jinki shook himself out of his momentary daze.  “Um, yeah, I'm Jinki, and the rude one is Minho.  As I mentioned before--”

 

“Rude and socially inept.  You two must be great at parties.”  Key glanced between the two, letting his hand drop from Minho's.  “You should come to mine, tomorrow, twenty-three-hundred hours, apartment two-one-four, directly below yours.  I can't wait to see the havoc you two will wreak.”

 

He seemed to flow as he turned to leave.  “I would say BYOB, but you've just moved in so I'll let it slide this once.  Just bring your y selves and we'll call it even.  Bye darlings!”

 

And like that, he was gone.  There were a few beats of silence following his departure.

 

“Did he just say 'twenty-three-hundred hours'?” Jinki blurted.

 

“I dunno,” Minho admitted.  “I was kinda distracted by the vacuum packed legs and the fact that he called me y.”

 

Jinki pulled more kitchen things out of the box, setting them out on the counter.  “Hey, he called us both y.”