HE LOVED HER SO MUCH IT HURTS

THE FIRST TIME

 

 

 

The first time I fell in love was long ago

I didn't know how to give my love at all...

 

Sandeul hummed softly as he wiped the bar's countertop, singing along to the bar's music at a few lines that he knew. He would check his watch from time to time, his heart a mixture of excitement and anxiety.

 

"Hey Hyung," Sandeul stopped wiping the bar's countertop and looked at Baro who was holding a tray of empty wine glasses. "She's here"

 

The elder of the two looked over to see a girl walk in. Tonight, she's clad in a simple blue dress with her hair let down. A bit casual compared to her attires before but to Sandeul, she looked stunning nontheless.

 

Shinwoo walked over and assisted her to her usual spot at the end of the counter.

 

"Really pretty ain't she?" Baro commented."You really should try and ask her out one of---ouch!"

 

"Ya, more work. Less chatter." Shinwoo tapped Baro once on the head and gave Sandeul a knowing smile. "The usual."

 

Sandeul nodded and walked to her spot, smiling as he prepared her usual cocktail.

 

The next time I settled for what felt  so close

But without romance, you're never gonna fall

 

"You had your hair cut." She was smiling at him. "It looks good on you."

 

"Thanks," He mumbled, managing to fight off the blush that was slowly creeping up his cheeks. "Here you go"

 

"Thank you." She took a sip and looked around, her eyes obviously searching for a particular someone.

 

"Meeting him tonight?"

 

"Yes." She smiled, her faced flushed to a rosy-pink "He said he's coming."

 

Sandeul sighed and quietly shook his head. It's the same every week: She would come at exactly 8:00pm every Friday and wait for her "Jinnie-ah" to come.Every week, he would prepare her favorite cocktail, watch her wait in silence and leave in disappoinment---only to go back the next week with renewed hope that she'll see her lover who never came.

 

Jung Jin Young.

 

It was during one of the few chances for them to actually have a chat that she told Sandeul her lover's name. He couldn't help but be jealous of this man who had been taking for granted the love and affection Sandeul could only have in his dreams.

 

Jung Jin Young.

 

The mere sound of the faceless man's name ringing in his head is enough to irk Sandeul. However, wrong as it might seem, he was also thankful. For the man happened to be the reason that Sandeul is given the priveledge to see and serve the lady who had been plaguing his heart with a million butterflies every week.

 

"Y'know," She suddenly spoke, startling the bartender "You never answer me when I ask you about the name of this drink."

 

"Sandeul's Secret Cocktail."

 

"Very funny" She pouted. Sandeul, however, only smiled.

 

"It's a secret." His gaze flew to the door when he heard Chanshik's 'good evening' and saw their youngest waiter being asked by an unfamiliar lad. He watched as Chansik slightly bowed and led the man to their spot.

 

"Min-yul..." She turned at the sound of her named and beamed at the man behind her.

 

"Jinnie-ah!"

 

Sandeul felt the pain in his chest as she rose from her seat into the newcomer's arms. He pretended to wipe his shaker as he observed Jinyoung in secret.

 

Fine lips, fair skin. His hair was not brown nor red, rather a shade in between. The clothes he wore spoke class and wealth eventhough they were rather casual.

 

No wonder she was that much willing to wait. No wonder she was that much willing to put her heart at stake.

 

How could he even dare compete?

 

He felt a tap on his shoulder and turned to see Baro standing behind him. "You need to rest. I'll take things from here."

 

He mumbled his thanks and walked to the safety of the kitchen, letting a his tears drop from his eyes.

 

He was happy for her---or so he keeps on telling himself. She had not waited in vain. 

 

As long as she's happy, he should be fine with it. Right?

 

No.

 

He loved her. He loved he so much it hurts.

 

But he couldn't do nor say anything. He could only watch his princess be taken away by her prince. Damn, he couldn't even bring himself to call her by her name. How could he even tell her how he feels?

 

"Hyung..." Chanshik walked to him with a mug of coffee, Shinwoo following right behind him.

 

"Thanks." He smiled and wiped his tears from his face. Laughing at his own state. "This is embarassing."

 

"It's okay," Shinwoo smiled and ruffled his hair "We all get our shares of heartaches from time to time."

 

Baro rushed in just as Shinwoo finished talking. "Hyung, you need to take over. I'm not good with crying ladies."

 

"What?"

 

"That Jinyoung guy just dumped her."

 

 

-------------------------

 

Sandeul walked back behind the bar to see her staring at her now empty glass. Biting at her lower lip as tears steadly made their way down her cheeks. He silently offered her his own handkerchief, managing to take her hand and firmly place the fabric in it when she declined.

 

"Ladies never looked good when they cry."

 

She managed a chuckle and mumbled 'thanks' as she dabbed the tears away from her eyes.

 

"Hey Sandeul?" the way she spoke her name sounded like music to his ears

 

"Hmm?" He looked at her.

 

"I think I'll need something stronger than the usual."

 

He reluctantly poured her a glass of strawberry-flavored vodka and watched as she downed it all in one go, scrunching up her face as she tasted the vile liquid.

 

Sandeul already had a tall glass of juice prepared for her.

 

"I knew this was coming." She sighed heavily, "i know he was just making up excuses about not coming. I just decided to play dumb."

 

She smiled through her hurt but Sandeul could feel her nontheless.

 

"I waited. I thought that, maybe, one day his feelings would go back to the way they were before. When he came, I thought we'd be happy again." She dropped her head in defeat.

 

Sandeul listened in pain. A part of him was boiling in anger, wanting to rush out and smack Jinyoung in the face. Wanting to ask him how he dared hurt the woman who had given him so much loyalty and affection. Thinking that the love he had been dreaming of was trashed by someone who doesn't even deserve half of it makes him want to kill the bastard.

 

Maybe life really is unfair.

 

A bigger part of him, however, wanted to just stay by her side, to listen to her, dry her tears, and somehow ease her pain.

 

"Thanks a lot Sandeul." She sniffed back another tear and managed a smile. "I guess I won't be having anymore reason to come here."

 

Sandeul froze.

 

"I haven't told you this before, but, Thanks." She stood and bowed for the last time. "bye."

 

He watched her as she turned and left the bar.

 

She's gone. Forever.

 

"W-Wait!!" Sandeul bolted from his place and ran out of the door. Catching her by the hand as she was just about to turn around the corner of the street. "Minyul-sshi!"

 

She looked up at him, her eyes glossy from the previous tears. "Sandeul?"

 

"Y-you can't leave. Not yet. I have to tell you something first."

 

After everything I learned

Now it's finally my turn...

 

He led her back to the building, back to her usual spot. Without a word, he returned to his place bahind the bar and started mixing her favorite drink.

 

"I'm not really in a mood for cocktail right now."

 

Sandeul just grinned and carried on. "You've been asking me about this drink for a while now."

 

She just looked and nodded.

 

"Shinwoo-hyung taught me how to make this. He said he came up with the mixture himself, years ago, for a certain someone." He went on, not once looking at her. "Aside from Shinwoo-hyung, I'm the only one around here who knows how to mix this."

 

"He thought it to me under one condition, though," He poured the cocktail on a tall glass, "That I'll be serving this drink for just one specific person."

 

She was silent as he pushed the glass to her.

 

"I've been mixing this drink for you for over a month now." He looked at her, his eyes showing utmost sincerity it scared her.

 

Sandeul had decided to put everything at stake. It could be wrong for him to tell her everything, considering the things that happened earlier, but It's now or never.

 

He could let her go and lose her forever, or he could tell her everything and be happy.

 

Or maybe he could tell her everything and get his heart broken in return.

 

The last thought scared him but there's no turning back now.

 

He decided to put everything on the line for the sake of his love thinking that maybe, just maybe, he could get even a part of her affection in return.

 

"I don't get it." She eyed the drink in her hand "Why can't you share it with others?"

 

"It was Shinwoo-hyung's idea." He smiled, "Something to do with the drink's name."

 

"You still haven't even told me it's name yet."

 

And I'm wise enough to know when a miracle unfolds...

 

Sandeul sighed, returning her curious gaze with loving ones.

 

"First Love."

 

 

And now that I've said them, they could never be enough

This is the last time I'll fall in love

 

 


 

A/N: There. Hope y'all liked it. :D

First loves are really nice dani? They're like the most colorful part of youth. (Too bad I just let mine slip away. fuuu~)

First confessions are the most gruesome too...i think. :))

Anyway, please do leave your comments. Thank you. :D

 

btw, If you want to hear Sandeul's version of the Eric Benet song, here it is ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0bh0rFdZhc

 

03-18-13: Edited the formatting a bit.