The Ahn Sisters

I Feel You Fading

News. News can be good thing. The news informs us of the good things in life like if you won the lotto or your favorite restaurant is opening a brand new location next to your house. News lets us know what's going on. But.. News can be a bad thing. Like news about a recession or news about something happening to a family member. That kind of news is what sends people into the dumps or into a mild depression that can be fixed by some medicine that your doctor can prescribe to you at any given time.

Right now, I think I'm witnessing the bad side of news. Thie bad side of news was like getting a bad hand when you play poker or getting the one can of soda out of the bunch that dropped. When I found out, my heart just dropped into my stomach. The world's global temperature just rose by a couple of notches, enough to make me sweat to the point of crying.

My sister is my best friend. We tell each other everything, but I guess everything has its exceptions. If she had told me about her cancer, I would have done everything to spend time with her. If she had told me right when she found out, maybe we could have saved her. Maybe we could have done something to hold onto her life for just a bit longer.

But I was too late. We were all too late.

I can't turn back time. And now, my time is being spent in a funeral home staring at a casket with my distant family and friends while my hectic mother works to meet her deadline. You'd think that she'd take a second to breathe now of all times, now that she's lost her oldest daughter.

I still can't believe that she's gone.

I looked up at the hanging banner above me.

EunMi, we'll miss you.

I don't think the banner was needed. It seems like something that one would have at a graduation.. Not a funeral.

Unnie didn't look dead, to be quite honest. She just looked like she was sleeping. Even then, EunMi was always so beautiful. With or without make up, she just looked absolutely perfect. Everyone could see that. Her face, her posture, it was just all amazing.

I was never jealous of my sister, no. She always made an effort to raise my self-esteem even if she didn't need to. She was just that kind of person, I guess. She loved to make people happy. She loved making people smile when they didn't have a speck of happiness left in their body.

Jooyeon, you don't need make up. You're beautiful already!

She really didn't need to tell me anything.

We looked very much alike.

Porceline skin and silky, long black hair.  We both had the same. Our eyes were the same shape, almonds that curved into slight little U's when we smiled, although she smiled more. EunMi was always more cheerful than I was, but I managed. Our lips were both the same shade of pink, like soft pink rose petals, and yet hers were always a bit fuller.

EunMi and I are one year apart. If you didn't know any better, you'd think we were twins. Twins are two parts of one.

And now that my one part is gone, I feel empty.

 

//THIRD//

 

The last of the Ahn sisters stood by the open casket, looking at her sister as if she was just watching over her while she slept. Distant family hovered, not really knowing what to do. They didn't know EunMi very well.

Friends of EunMi stood to the side. One in particular, Onew, watched Jooyeon. He wanted to hold her. Even though he was EunMi's best friend, he felt he needed to comfort Jooyeon. But what could he do?

Jooyeon stood over the casket unknowingly. Her mind was still unaware of her life ahead of her.