4

Light My Fire

“You’re angry.”

It wasn’t a question, though it was spoken in a tone laced with confusion, and it was the truth but Kyuhyun denied it of course.

“Nonsense,” he dismissed with a scoff even as he tugged his hand away from the lingering handshake, “Why would I be?”

“I don’t know but I can smell it on you,” then the dragon turned to shake hands with Seohyun who was looking at them in apparent confusion and curiosity, “It’s a private joke between us,” he explained with a charming smile, “Hi, nice to meet you. Just call me Andrew.” 

The dragon was speaking to Seohyun but Kyuhyun could hear the warning emphasis on the name and was sure it was for his and Bianca’s benefit although he wasn’t sure why it was needed. What did Andrew Choi expect Kyuhyun to call him anyway? Shameless dragon who kisses strangers? Lecherous bastard?

The four of them were outside the building where the lecture was held. Kyuhyun had been reluctantly dragged by Bianca to meet Dr. Choi and of course Kyuhyun had to comply since Seohyun also wanted to meet him, presumably to further interrogate him for her paper.

Of course, Bianca had been completely taken by surprise when Andrew and Kyuhyun made it obvious that they actually know each other. As Seohyun started to interview the dragon, Bianca asked Kyuhyun in a whisper, “You didn’t tell me you’ve met him before.”

“I didn’t know he was the one giving the lecture,” Kyuhyun replied, also whispering. He could feel the dragon’s gaze on them even as he answered Seohyun’s questions pleasantly and charmingly enough.

“How did you meet him?”

“Uh, through the usual,” Kyuhyun hedged and Bianca just nodded in understanding. Kyuhyun knew Bianca thought that “the usual” meant through his job as a gatekeeper. She didn’t need to know that meeting someone over a dead body wasn’t usual at all. 

Didn’t need to know and wasn’t supposed to know actually since Kangin had warned him not to tell anybody especially since it seemed Amber’s case was connected to Donghae. And he was supposed to be guarding Donghae.

“I don’t really see your anger,” Bianca mused as she looked at Kyuhyun closely. If Kyuhyun’s ability was having a heightened sense of smell then Bianca’s was seeing “auras.” This was normal for a Gatekeeper, each of them had a unique ability that enabled them to identify and differentiate all beings. It was essential for their job since they had to establish the identities and origin of anyone who asks them for inter-world passage. 

“That’s because I’m not angry,” Kyuhyun said through gritted teeth then realized that he was actually looking just that so he relaxed and tried to smile.

“But Si- Andrew said…ah well, he must be just teasing you. He’s like that sometimes,” Bianca explained.

Kyuhyun thought that Bianca was too nice. She didn’t need to defend her ex-boyfriend. He suddenly realized that he doesn’t really like Bianca that much after all. 

“So it’s settled then,” Andrew clapped his hands and both gatekeepers turned to him. Apparently, he and Seohyun had actually made plans without consulting them. “Did you bring your car with you, Bianca?”

“Oh yes!” Bianca replied and Kyuhyun stopped himself from rolling his eyes in annoyance. Seriously, there was no need for Bianca to sound that breathless. He was just asking if she brought her car. Not that Kyuhyun was also ignoring the fact that Andrew actually knew she had one.

Kyuhyun had decided that he didn’t want to stay with the happy couple but it was quite obvious that Seohyun was going with them. And she was going to be the only clueless human being there. So he gritted his teeth as he followed Bianca to where she parked her car, studiously avoiding the dragon’s eyes and letting Bianca and Seohyun keep the conversation going. 

He was automatically going to open the car door for Seohyun when Andrew beat him to it by opening the passenger door beside the driver’s seat. “You can sit here, Seohyun,” the dragon said, all charms and smiles.

Kyuhyun was surprised since he expected that he and Seohyun will be riding in the backseat. But that surprise only lasted for a very brief second since he also suddenly realized that Andrew would now be sitting beside him.

The dragon motioned for Seohyun to roll down the car window and leaned casually on it to tell Bianca on the other side, “I’ll take Kyuhyun in my car. We’ll just meet you at the cafe.”

Er, what?

Okay, being stuck alone with this particular dragon in a confined space wasn’t a good idea. In fact, it was a very, very bad idea. And he mentally kicked himself for not bringing his own car.

As the car was driven away by a hesitant-looking Bianca and slowly went out of their sight, Kyuhyun braced himself to look at the archaeologist.

“Shall we go?” the dragon pleasantly asked with the stupidest grin on his face, Kyuhyun thought in irritation. 

There it was again, that amused glint in the other’s eyes but this time, there was something else. The feeling that he was something really delicious to eat made Kyuhyun mentally search his memory for basic facts about dragons and their diet that he had read from the Gatekeepers’ manual he had been given.

Andrew Choi led him to his car (which was a freaking Audi!) and opened the door for him. Kyuhyun tried hard not to be charmed by it and wondered quite pettishly if he should just go and admit he wasn’t that straight after all. He hadn’t admitted to himself that he hadn’t stopped thinking of the archaeologist for the past few days, never mind the distractions that he had. And they were major distractions at that: an unsolved murder case, a handsome and y dragon staying at his house, and a clueless but adorable male innocently keeping house for him.

They pulled away from the parking lot in silence, the dragon skilfully manoeuvring the steering wheel and Kyuhyun sat bolt upright and rigid in his seat. The whole interior smelled of the dragon and it was playing havoc on his senses. He wasn’t sure which part of his mind had lost its sanity because he sure as heck hadn’t. It was just that stupid little part which was telling him to do… things. Things that involved jumping on other people’s laps and possibly… 

Andrew sighed and Kyuhyun was glad of the interruption to his errant thoughts. The dragon’s expression had turned serious as he observed the gatekeeper’s stiff form beside him, “Are you afraid or are you still angry at me?”

Kyuhyun snorted, “Considering that you left me alone to explain to the police, a certain amount of anger is justified, don’t you think?” he asked mockingly, finally remembering something tangible to be angry about.

“Ah, so that’s it,” the other man’s grin appeared again and Kyuhyun restrained himself from giving him anything physical other than a glare. “I’m really glad that you’re only pissed off about that,” he was grinning really widely now and that’s when Kyuhyun realized.

I’m not saying I’m mad that he kissed me. Oh my God! 

“The other thing was traumatic for me to even remember,” Kyuhyun hoped he had injected enough sarcasm in his voice to put a dampening effect on the too full of himself archaeologist. 

The dragon frowned and searched his eyes as they stopped at a red light but Kyuhyun refused to meet them. He was now giving in to the anger he had been feeling earlier. Never mind that he hadn’t interpreted why he was angry. Of course you know why, that random thought popped up in his head.

“Is that why you didn’t even contact me?”

Did he hear hurt somewhere in there? Kyuhyun shook his head. Andrew Choi didn’t look the type to get hurt, it was simply a bruised ego. “Actually, I was going to,” Kyuhyun began and the dragon beside him seemed to perk up before he gleefully added, “But I figured the police would get to you first anyway.”

Kyuhyun waited for the other male’s response but he kept quiet. His curiosity was suddenly roused, the case was still under investigation after all. He started to ask about Amber, “Look Andrew…”

“You don’t need to call me that when there are no other humans around.”

“Umm, what exactly do I call you then?” Kyuhyun was confused.

“My real name, Siwon,” the dragon glanced to give him a confused look, “Didn’t you see it in the card I gave you?”

Kyuhyun frowned in confusion and he took out the business card. He flipped it over a couple of times just to check if he had missed something. He wasn’t about to admit that he had practically memorized the weight, dimensions, letterings on the card and possibly have smelled it a few times because it was from the dragon. Of course, he was just looking for clues for the case, of course that was it.

“You didn’t use dragon’s breath,” Siwon said a little flatly. He sounded disappointed and Kyuhyun wondered why. And he also wondered what the heck was dragon’s breath?! 

Before he could ask however, Siwon said, “Can you check if there’s still an available space to park?”

They’ve arrived at the café. It was on Kyuhyun’s side and as he turned sideways and strained his neck to check for parking space, Siwon suddenly slammed the brakes and grabbed his neck.

“Who did this?!”

The hand around his neck was clutching firmly but it was surprisingly gentle? Kyuhyun couldn’t explain it since it was definitely at odds with the expression he saw on Siwon’s face. The dragon was to put it mildly, coldly furious. His majestic eyebrows were scrunched closely together, his eyes seemed to be shooting sparks and was that smoke tendrils coming out from his nostrils? Gulp. It was.

Umm Kangin, where are you?

“Who dared try to mark you?”

Kyuhyun shivered a little. The voice coming out from the dragon was different. It was somehow deeper, more hollow and definitely more ferocious. Basically, it sounded like what a dragon should sound like, not that Kyuhyun has encountered any of them in their natural forms.

“It was an accident?” Kyuhyun answered with an asking tone because he didn’t like to give the wrong answer.

It was still the wrong answer.

Siwon gave a low growl and Kyuhyun shivered again. But not with fear this time and he definitely wanted to kick himself why the thought crossed his mind that a growling handsome dragon was y. Because yes it was y but still dangerous, not to mention, possibly deadly.

A honking car behind them recalled to Siwon that he was parked right in the middle of the road. He gave Kyuhyun a reproachful glare before starting the car and moving it to an empty parking spot of the café. 

The gatekeeper refused to feel guilty at Siwon’s accusing look because why would he? He didn’t fully understand the whole situation and he was quite surprised that the bite mark Donghae gave was visible to the dragon. It had been a very superficial bite and the marks were very faint even when it was new. It was actually quite gone now although he could still feel a trace of warm heat from that area. Besides, there was no reason for Siwon to get angry, he had Bianca.

That last thought had Kyuhyun scowling again as well as feeling a heavy weight settling somewhere inside his chest. Seriously, if Siwon wanted to win Bianca again, he shouldn’t go around giving other innocent people ideas. Not that he was actually bothered by it, but other people should be spared getting false hopes surely.

“I don’t see why you’re so mad about it,” Kyuhyun retorted as he unbuckled his seatbelt. Siwon’s answer was to give him a disbelieving stare then a snarl so he hastily opened the car door to get out. 

“Just tell me you won’t let it happen again,” the dragon told him sternly and Kyuhyun wasn’t sure but he definitely heard some pleading in Siwon’s voice even if his expression didn’t give anything away. 

“Well?” Siwon persistently asked since Kyuhyun still didn’t reply.

“I-…” Kyuhyun’s phone suddenly rang. It was from an unknown number. “Hello?”

“Hello? Is this the Gatekeeper? I- I need your help. I know I shouldn’t call but this is urgent. Can you let me go to Pendarak now? I need to get there before it’s too late.”

Well this is new, Kyuhyun thought. While technically a full-time job, gatekeepers only “worked” at certain hours of the day, specifically early mornings and evenings and other-worldly beings knew and respected that rule which applied in all the nine worlds. Asking for a “special trip” and even calling them (there was no reason to call a gatekeeper’s private number unless of course, you were actually friends) was definitely out of the ordinary.

Kyuhyun could see that Siwon was giving him a questioning look. Bianca and Seohyun had seen them arrive through the glass walls of the café and have now gone out to them to see what was delaying them outside.

“It- it’s important I get to Pendarak immediately. I don’t know if I’ll last that long b-but it’s enough they examine me for evidence. I- it’s treachery! Gatekeeper, please!”

The sob at the end of that plea unnerved Kyuhyun somewhat and decided his next action. He comforted the person on the other line and told him that he’ll meet him back at his flat.

“I need to go home, I’m sorry,” was all he said to the three people staring at him with surprised faces at the seriousness of his tone. “Go and have your coffee, I can take a cab but can one of you…?”

“I’ll take care of Seohyun,” Siwon answered and Kyuhyun nodded to him gratefully then he started to trot to the sidewalk to hail a cab. Something was telling him that whoever was on the other side of the line was in very deep trouble. He saw an available cab but someone beat him to it.

“Taxi!” It was Siwon, waving his long arms. Kyuhyun was just surprised and stood like an idiot as the taxi stopped beside them. Siwon opened the door and gently guided him inside. 

“We need to talk about some things but do what you need to do first. And this,” Siwon indicated to a point above his stomach and suddenly put his face very close to Kyuhyun, their mouths just inches apart, “is dragon’s breath,” he whispered as he blew gently and very slowly. His warm breath escaping from pursed lips very near Kyuhyun’s own, then he grinned at a stunned Kyuhyun before closing the cab door.

The cab driver cleared his throat, “Umm, where to sir?” Kyuhyun mumbled his address, all the while feeling a bit dazed at what just happened. Then as he slowly snapped out of his daze and saw the amused glint in the driver’s eyes from the rear view mirror, he blushed and mentally cursed the dragon.

What a freaking tease!

*************

Kyuhyun cautiously opened the door to his apartment.

“What’s with your face?”

Kyuhyun scowled at Kangin’s lazy growl. “Never mind my face. Has anyone been here looking for me?”

“Oh Kyu, you’re back!” This time it was Donghae who greeted him. Undisguised pleasure was radiating from his face as he surveyed Kyuhyun from head to toe. The gatekeeper was used to the borderline-ogling from the young dragon. He didn’t consider it “ogle” exactly since the somewhat negative term and Donghae didn’t really go together. It just so happens that Donghae somehow found something really interesting about Kyuhyun and stared accordingly, that was all.

“No one’s been here but you don’t look like you actually want to meet the person,” Kangin stretched then as Kyuhyun looked at him questioningly, he explained, “I told you, something was wrong with your face. You looked like you were expecting someone to drop dead on you when you opened the door.”

“Hey, do you hear that?” Donghae asked, his hearing picking up the very faint sounds of someone knocking.

“Hmm, I don’t hear anything,” Kangin said as he sat to scratch the top of his head.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes as he went to open the door, “You fail as a guardian and as a dog, you know that? Who is it-…”

“Pendara-…” that was all the young boy was able to croak out before he fell to the floor with a thud and Kyuhyun remembered what he had said that with all the weird things happening to him, at least he was spared of finding dead bodies on his door step.

Looks like he wasn’t spared even that now.

----------------

A/N: Posting the rest of the chapters I have on LJ to here which I forgot to do LOL. Anyway, this fic was supposed to be finished by the end of 2012 and of course, it didn't happen ;_; I hope people still remember this fic :_;