We Are Young

We Are Young

 

 

“Tonight

We are young”

 

Sandeul sang as the song blasted through the portable speakers, a little smile tugging at his lips. How could he not? It was Baro’s favorite song, their favorite song.

It used to be only Baro’s favorite song, but ever since the two got to know each other, it became their favorite song.

They used to sing it together anywhere and everywhere, in almost every situation that they could without offending anyone (their members not bring part of the ‘anyone’).

“Why do you love the song so much?” Sandeul had asked.

“Because tonight~ We are young~” Baro would always reply.

Sandeul never questioned further, because he agreed that yup, it’s nice to be young.

 

“So let’s set the world on fire”

 

“Tonight~ We are young~” Baro sang, causing Jinyoung to cover his ears. It was already bad enough that they were experiencing a blackout in the middle of a thunderstorm, and Baro just had to torture them by singing the same old song over and over again with his unpolished voice.

 “Yah, stop it Baro!” Jinyoung groaned.

Too bad for the leader, the rapper paid no heed to him. Not that he had ever listened anyway.

“So let’s set Sandeul on fire~” Baro continued, immediately earning a smack on the head by the person he said to set fire on.

“Yah! Why are you setting me on fire?” Sandeul pouted. What have he done to deserve this?

“Because I can’t set the world on fire,” Baro paused his singing to explain. “So I am setting you on fire instead!” He finished off with a bright grin, looking pretty proud of his explanation.

“Why me?!” Sandeul flailed his arms around, ready to throw a tantrum if Baro insist on setting him on fire.

“Because….”

“Because?”

“Because you are a duck! And roasted duck sounds like a good idea for dinner!”

There was a slight pause of silence before the whole group burst out laughing at Baro’s words. “That’s a good one hyung!” Gongchan managed to squeeze out in between his laughter, reaching a hand out to give a five to the rapper.

Sandeul crossed his arms and huffed as s continued laughing at the one sentence of Baro’s, wondering what’s so funny about eating him. Even the caring CNU seemed to like the idea, which made Sandeul feel even more indignant.

Maybe, if Baro can set something else on fire, he would forget about setting Sandeul on fire, Sandeul thought. And when his eyes landed on the candle that became their only source of light in the electricity-less dorm, the light bulb in his brain lighted.

He took one of the unused candles sprawled on the coffee table and with his blunt nails, carved five letters on the candle. The words looked ugly but as long as people could still recognize the letters, Sandeul couldn't be bothered about the rest.

By then, the members’ eyes were already on him, surprised to find that their noisy duck wasn’t whining about how they are treating him badly but was playing with the candles instead. Sandeul didn’t mind that. In fact, it would be better for what he was about to do.

He placed the candle onto the coffee table, letting it stand upright and turning to the side he carved to the members before lighting up the candle.

Baro was the first to start laughing, followed by the others.

Sandeul’s face immediately lighted up at the approval s were giving.

“Setting the ‘world’ on fire,” Baro said as he gave Sandeul a pat on the back. “Our deullie is finally getting smart!”

Sandeul’s smile fell. He may be a little slow on these things but he definitely caught the insult in Baro’s supposed compliment.

“Yah!”

And that was how the members got to enjoy a show featuring a flaming duck chasing a naughty squirrel.

 

“We can burn brighter

Than the sun”

 

“It’s okay guys!” Baro stood up from his seat, clapping his hands together with a smile. “Cheer up! This isn’t the only award ceremony yeah?”

His words didn’t manage to achieve the kind of results he wanted, the result whereby s would stop sulking and return back to their rowdy selves. Even Jinyoung, their ever optimistic leader is sulking silently in a corner, and that is saying something.

“Can we even get the award in any award ceremony?”

Baro turned to Sandeul, who voiced his as well as the remaining sulking members' doubts. It was the first ever award ceremony they have attended as a group and they didn’t manage to get the rookie award that had them drooling and working their off for the whole year.

“Have some faith in ourselves!” Baro patted the back of the two members that were the closest to him then, who happened to be Sandeul and Gongchan. They also happened to be the ones who seemed most affected by the fact that they failed to get the award.

Baro cleared his throat. “We can burn brighter~ than the sun~” He sang.

At this, Sandeul jumped out of his seat and wrapped his arm around Baro’s shoulder. “We can burn brighter than the sun!” Sandeul repeated the line in his beautiful voice, earning a smile from the members even when they weren’t exactly out of the sulking yet.

“With our hard work, we will definitely be recognized!” The leader stood up and stretched his hand out into the middle of the circle the group created. His hand was soon followed by four others. After a loud “Fighting!”, laughter soon began to fill the dorm once again.

They realized how foolish they were to doubt themselves when they stood up the stage of another award ceremony with a shiny trophy in their hands.

 

“…and you feel like falling down

I’ll carry you home, tonight”

The song soon came to an end, much sooner than Sandeul wanted. He barely had the time to reminisce all the happy times they had spent together, but he promised s that he would only take the time of one song, so he shall stick to it.

With a final smile, Sandeul gently placed the bouquet white chrysanthemum on the stone surface.

“Rest in peace, Sunwoo-ah.”

 

.