Chapter 4

Of Fake Smiles And Real Ones

Of Fake Smiles And Real Ones Chapter 4

 

Author

"Where are you going oppa?" Da Som was sitting on Hyun Soo's bed, surrounded by Do Il, Ji Hyuk, Kyung Jong and Ha Jin.

"Yeah, where are you going 'oppa'?" Ha Jin repeated the question mockingly.

Hyun Soo, who was getting ready, glared at his friend through the mirror, but answered his sister's question nonetheless: "Oppa has to do something Da Som-ah."

"It has to be something very important, if you're ditching Da Som and us in your free time." Kyung Jong retorted thoughtfully.

Hyun Soo turned around and joined the others on the bed, pulling a fresh pair of socks out from under it.

He was not going to answer any of their questions.

It was quiet for a little while after that. Only the sound of Ji Hyuk strumming his guitar and Kyung Jong tapping his fingers on the wall could be heard.

Then, all of a sudden, Ha Jin spoke up again: "You're going on a date, aren't you?"

It was not even a question. It was a statement. Hyun Soo stilled in his actions, for just the friction of a second though, then continued pulling his socks on.

Da Som inhaled loudly, clapping in excitement: "Are you going out with Ye Rim unnie?"

This time Hyun Soo stilled completely.

His sister had ratted him out, without even knowing it.

"Are you really going out with Ye Rim?" Ha Jin asked curiously.

Hyun Soo couldn't look at him: "It's not a date, really."

Ha Jin rolled his eyes: "Yah, Lee Hyun Soo! You don't need to lie, because of me. I told you that I'm over her."

Now Hyun Soo did look at him; he didn't know exactly why, but he felt the need to explain his side of the story to him and everyone else, who was present in his room: "No, I mean it! It's not a date. Yoo Seung Hoon was about to go out with her and I just thought that he's not any good for her, so I told her to go out with me instead."

At the end of his little speech he looked around himself, only to find them looking back at him more skeptic than he had ever seen.

But still, he insisted: "It's not a date, really!"

Ji Hyuk cracked a smirk: "Just keep telling yourself that and maybe you'll start believing it one day too."

This made everyone laugh out loud, except for Hyun Soo and Da Som, who was actually a little bit confused at that moment. Was her oppa now going out with Ye Rim, or was he not?

 

Hyun Soo
Idiotic! All of them totally and completely idiotic.

They were all laughing at me.

Why wouldn't they just believe me?

It was not a date, really!

I decided to stay silent, after their fit of laughter had ebbed away. None of my words could help me in explaining my damn situation to them anyways. So, what was the point of talking at all?

Later, when all of us were leaving, because it was time for me to pick up Ye Rim, Ji Hyuk stayed back for a bit, pulling me aside from everyone else.
"What?" I snapped at him. I was already tense enough, as it was.

"Calm down." he put a hand on my shoulder: "I know how you feel." he paused: "I know exactly what you're going through." another pause: "Loyalty comes in a package with being a good friend. I know that better than anyone else."

Alright, so maybe he could relate, but my situation was different from his, because I didn't like Ye Rim the way he liked Soo Ah.

He continued: "I've been through all this and sometimes you just want everything and everyone to go to hell. You don't have to do this to yourself though, because Ha Jin said it, didn't he? He doesn't mind anymore."

He looked away from me for a moment.

This whole talking seriously thing was way too awkward for the two of us.

"If you don't like her, fine, ignore this conversation." Ji Hyuk turned back to me, tightening his grip on my shoulder: "But if there's even the slightest chance that you do like her, then please don't be as stupid as I have been in the past. Don't push her away. It won't do either of you any good, believe me."

Ye Rim
He seemed rather absentminded...

Ever since he had picked me up in front of my apartment, he had been absentminded.

It hadn't been that apparent in the movie theatre, but after we had entered the restaurant we were currently seated in, it was more than obvious.

"Did someone force you to do it?" whenever I was around him, words would always slip out without me intending to say them out loud.

He looked up from his plate: "Force me to do what?"

I had asked already, I might as well get an answer: "Force you to go out with me?"

He cocked his head to his right, staring at me for a short moment: "And what, if I said that that's the exact case?"

Ouch!

Why was it that, even though I always knew what his answer would be I still had to ask?

I forced myself to smile at him: "Then I'd say that it would explain the painful expression that's been marring your face all day long."

Hyun Soo
Ouch!

Painful expression?

Really? Had I let myself become that comfortable in her presence that I didn't even consider masking my inner feelings in front of her?

I had been confused, ever since I had picked her up and only my confused expression could hint at me being in pain... Which I wasn't...

"I'm not in pain." I told her.

"That might be true, but that doesn't change the fact that you look like you are." she responded: "So, did someone force you to go out with me, or not?"

I sighed, probably looking more annoyed than anything right now: "No, nobody forced me. I'm here on my own."

"But you don't want to be here." it was a statement and just for a tiny second there, she seemed, as if she was about to cry.

"You're right. I'd rather be somewhere else right now." I kept my eyes on hers, observing, nothing in her friendly expression changed though: "But you know as well as I do that, I wouldn't be here, if I really didn't want to."

She looked down at her lap, smiling.

And once again, she left me wondering, what kind of girl she must be, what kind of patience she must possess, to be smiling, to be happy, even when I behaved like a total jerk with her?

Later that evening, when I dropped her off in front of her apartment, she took my left hand in hers, which she did rather often anyways, halting me in my tracks, when I turned around to leave.

"What is it?" I had no idea why I was whispering.

"Thank you." she was hugging me and I... I was actually hugging her back, without anyone around, for me to pretend to like her, or anyone telling me to hug her back.

What did that mean?

And why in the hell was SHE saying thank you to ME?

I didn't get it...

And I still didn't get it when she was inside her apartment already and still didn't get it when I reached my own house and found Da Som and the guys waiting for me and still didn't get it, when Ha Jin and Kyung Jong tried to get details out of me... And still didn't get it, when I was lying in my bed late at night, overthinking everything that had passed that day.

Why did everything connected to Kim Ye Rim have to be so confusing and complicated?

My life was complicated enough as it was...

End of Chapter

 

Hi people!

So, I'm back from vacation and I tried to write in between all the chaos, which is my family...

Anyways, there you have it, Hyun Soo and Ye Rim's date. It was nothing special but I just thought that even thogh Ye Rim has already figured out her feelings for Hyun Soo, he still needs time to sort his feelings out, which is why he is still as rude as ever with her.

But he's getting to the point of confusion and jealousy and possesivness, which is rather nice to write and read in my opinion.

So, how did you like this chapter? Please tell me in your comments, or you can PM me if you want to  =D

Thank you to all those, who commented and all my subscribers. I just have one wish, please don't be silent readers, even if I'm grateful to those who are...

Kamsahamnida!

p.s. sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes :)

p.p.s. I Love You<3