Final

Tell Me Why

"The phone number you are trying to reach is no longer available, please hang up and try again later." The automatic woman's voice spoke. Jenny groaned, pulling her phone away from her ear, hanging up on the phone call.

 
"He still wont answer his damn phone! In fact. Now it's off!" She shouted loudly to the girl standing in front of her. The few other women in the clothing store turned to look at the pair, glaring at them slightly. The Korean girl gave a sheepish look, bowing apologetically for her friend's outburst.
 
"Jenny would you quiet down! They're all looking at us weird now!" The girl scolded, slightly hitting her friends arm. The foreign girl frowned, placing her phone back into her pant pocket.
 
"I'm sorry Hyesun, but I'm just getting so frustrated! I mean he forgot about my birthday, and three days later he hasn't even bothered to contact me. Nor has he answered any of my calls or texts. Yet he'll update his Facebook and twitter no problem!" Jenny said, her arms flailing about to emphasize her point. Her friend gave her an odd look before shaking her head.
 
"This is Eli we're talking about, it's no surprise he forgot about your birthday." Hyesun said with a roll of her eyes. Jenny frowned, a small pout form on her lips.
 
"No, it is a surprise. I had been talking about it weeks before. I made sure that every time we went out whenever we passed a shop I would point to something and mention that it would be a good birthday gift! There's no way he could have forgotten my birthday." Jenny said. She let out a long disappointed sigh, shaking her head.
 
"No there has to be something else....something must've happened to him..." She whispered, looking down at the ground.
 
"Maybe he's breaking up with you. But since he doesn't know how to tell you, he's just going to ignore you." Hyesun suggested, shrugging her shoulders. Jenny looked up at her friend is disbelief, her jaw dropping slightly.
 
"Are you crazy? How could you say something like that?!" 
 
"Well it's not like we actually know what's going on! I was just throwing something out there." Hyesun said with a pout. Jenny shook her head, sighing deeply.
 
"I just don't know anymore...maybe I should just go over to his apartment." She said, bitting her bottom lip as she mulled over the idea in her head. Hyesun laughed shaking her head as the girls linked arms and began to walk out of the clothing store, finding nothing of interest inside it.
 
"No no Jenny. Don't worry about that now. Nows the time for you to spend all that birthday money that you got." her friend said with a giggle. Jenny forced a smile and nodded in agreement.
 
"Ok ok. No more Eli talk. I get it." She said with a roll of her eyes. Hyesun laughed, nudging her friend gently leading her friend into another clothing store.
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
"Wait wait wait...let me get this strait. You forgot Jenny's birthday again?!" 
 
"Yes yes, I know I deserve the award of worlds worst boyfriend. I can't believe it. Two years and I still can't remember my girlfriend's birthday. Plus she kept dropping all of these hints and pointing to things saying they'd be perfect for her birthday. AND to top it all off, she called me the day before to remind me of the party." Eli said with a frown, plopping onto the couch beside his best friend. Who was currently giving the Korean-American the evil eye.
 
"Eli you are the most forgetful person ever. How did you even miss the large hint of 'Hey the party is tomorrow!'" His friend said with a frown, shaking his head ashamed. Eli groaned, leaning back against the couch rubbing his eyes.
 
"I know Jaeseop, I know..." He said with a sigh. "Which is why, when I call her tonight and tell her to meet up with me, all I can do is hope she'll come along. Even if it is just to yell at me in person." He said with a pout, looking down at his hands in his lap.
 
"If she forgives you, you will be the luckiest man on Earth." Jaeseop said laughing. Eli growled slightly, pushing his friend away from him.
 
"You are no help to me you ." Eli glared. The Korean boy laughed, looking his friend in the eyes.
 
"I am not the one who forgot my girlfriend's birthday and then ignored her calls for two days." He said, grinning.
 
"That would be kind of impossible for you to do considering you don't have one." Eli shot back, getting up off the couch. "Now I'm going back to my apartment. If you don't get a call from me, then that means everything worked out." Eli said with a wink before walking towards the front door. 
 
Jaeseop shook his head, watching his friends retreating form before throwing a pillow off the couch at his friend, hitting the pigeon in the back. Eli turned around, raising a questioning eyebrow up at the other.
 
"What was that for?!" He shouted.
 
"That's for the girlfriend comment you stupid pigeon." Jaeseop said with a pout, crossing his arms. Eli glared at the Korean, pulling open the front door.
 
"I'll get you back you stupid cat." Eli promised, walking out of the home, shutting the door behind him.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Jenny sat alone in her apartment; seated comfortably on her couch, her body completely wrapped up in a warm throw blanket, the TV blaring in the background. However Jenny wasn't even watching the television, her eyes were staying glued to her phone as she waited. 
 
Her birthday shopping spree with Hyesun had ended hours ago, and the moment she got home she checked her phone. Yet as usual there was nothing from Eli. And here she found herself, slowly growing crazy and angry while waiting for her boyfriend to call. A sight only seen on Hollywood sets, and Jenny had told her self that she would never end up like this. Boy was she wrong.
 
"That's it. If he doesn't call back by tonight I'm considering us broken up! I'll move on and forget all about him!" She shouted to herself, huffing as she tossed her phone to the side. Though the sudden rush of confidence fell just as quickly. She collapsed back into the couch cushions, her eyes closing as she tried to figure out just what could have happened. Normally her and Eli couldn't go an hour without at least a text message between them. Yet on her birthday he didn't even send her a text message. Not one phone call. And it's been that way for days.
 
"Eli what did I do wrong...?" She said to herself, sighing as her lower lip began to quiver, signaling the early signs of tears. 
 
"No! I will not cry! Get a hold of yourself Jenny! You shouldn't be acting this way over a stupid boy!" She slapped her cheek, trying to shake herself out of the sadness. Just as she was ready to reach over and check her phone for the umpteenth time that night, she heard a loud knock coming from her front door. Her eye browns came together in confusion as she tried to figure out who would come over this late at night.
 
The loud knocking interrupted her thinking process and she hurriedly jumped off of her couch. The blanket that had been covering her body fell to the floor sloppily in her rush to get to the door before whoever it was left her.
 
"Who is it?" She called out as she opened the door. Who was behind the door shocked her more then it should have, but she wasn't expecting to see him ever again.
 
"Eli...?"
 
"Jenny. Thank god you're home. Can I come in?" He asked, not even waiting for her answer he pushed passed her into the living room. Jenny watched as her boyfriend walked into her apartment, shutting the door slowly.
 
"Look. I know you probably hate me because I haven't contacted you for almost a week. And every time you would call I would just ignore it. But I have a good explanation for that. Obviously I forgot your birthday even with all the hints you had been giving me. For that I am deeply sorry. Words cannot describe how horrible I feel about that. I didn't contact you because I knew you would be angry and I wanted to wait until you calmed down before talking to you. But then I got this idea, and then it became that I COULDN'T contact you because I working on something special for you. So I came here tonight because I finally have everything finished." Eli took a deep breath, stopping his long speech, turning to look at his girlfriend who was still looking at him with wide eyes.
 
"Jenny. Will you please come to my apartment?" He asked, holding out his hand. Jenny looked down at his large hand, turning her attention back to his face before crossing her arms over her chest, nodding slightly.
 
"I'll go with you. But this doesn't mean that I forgive you." She said sternly. Though her answer still made the pigeon smile. She turned around on her heels, walking over to her front door pulling on her shoes and jacket. She ignored Eli as he reached in front of her, opening the door. She was still in shock that he showed up, and was trying to make everything better, but she didn't want him to believe that she was easily won over.
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
The ride to Eli's apartment was a quiet one. Eli talked while Jenny simply stared out the wind shield. She honestly felt like she had nothing to say to Eli. It seemed as if he had been beating himself up over his mistake, so why did she need to beat him down even more?
 
Once they arrived to his apartment complex, Eli's personality did 180. He went from apologizing every five minutes to a complete gentleman. He rushed out of the car, running around the front to get to her door before she could even have time to remove her seatbelt. Even in their first months of dating, Eli never acted like this. Holding doors open for her, taking her hand to help her out of the car. And once they made it to his apartment, he helped her with her jacket, hanging it up carefully.
 
Jenny turned to look back at her boyfriend with confusion, her hands moving to her hips as she raised an eyebrow. Silently asking Eli what was going on with his sudden change in attitude. Eli smiled at her sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.
 
"I just....oh don't ask me! I thought it would be nice I guess." He said shrugging, feeling slightly uncomfortable under her strong gaze. Jenny scoffed rolling her eyes at the pathetic answer.
 
"Jenny baby come on, your surprise is in the dining room." He said with a small smile, placing his hands on her shoulders and leading her through the living towards his kitchen/dining room.
 
What awaited Jenny there made her jaw drop. 
 
Eli had completely decorated the dining room with balloons and streamers of their favourite colours. A small but beautifully decorated chocolate cake was placed perfectly in the middle of the round wooden table. Surrounding the cake were many of Jenny's favourite dishes from back home. All of which she hadn't eaten since coming to Korea a year ago.
 
Sure to most this gesture didn't seem that big. It wasn't some big fancy expensive and romantic dinner. There wasn't darkness that was only lit up by candles with chocolate dipped fruit for a dessert. It was simple, and almost childish. But that was how their relationship worked. They were simple, and picked on each other like children on the playground. The thing that surprised Jenny was Eli had remembered all of her favourite foods. Even the cake was right. Chocolate, covered with raspberry syrup, with an assortment of strawberries, raspberries, and mint leaves.
 
"Wow...Eli this is...amazing..." She said with a small giggle. Eli let go of her shoulders, coming around to face his girlfriend, a large goofy grin on his face.
 
"So does this make up for everything?" He asked, leaning down so his forehead pressed against hers. Jenny bit her bottom lip trying not to smile.
 
"I guess you are..." She said, looking up at him.
 
"Yes!" Eli shouted. He grabbed onto Jenny, picking her up and spinning her around. Jenny giggled, hitting his chest, trying to push away from him.
 
"Put me down you pigeon! I'm hungry!" She shouted. Eli pouted, putting her down gently.
 
"Have you been talking with Jaeseop?" He asked with a chuckle, nudging her gently. Jenny looked over at Eli, sticking her tongue out before walking over to the table, sitting down and beginning to fill her plate with the food she had been missing for so long. Eli joined her on the other side of the table, waiting for her to finish filling her plate before he began to as well.
 
"Happy late birthday baby girl.." Eli said with a smile, watching as Jenny began to eat.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
"Eliiiii! Can I please eat the cake nooowwww??" Jenny whined. They had finished dinner a few moments ago, and Jenny was ready to dig into the cake when Eli grabbed it and carried it into the kitchen.
 
"Give me a minute! I misplaced the candles!" He said, the sounds of drawers opening an closing coming from the kitchen. Jenny pouted, getting up from her chair, kicking her way through the balloons. She walked over to Eli's side, tugging on his arm.
 
"Come on baby, I don't care about the candles. Just let me eat the cake!" She said with a pout. Eli looked back at her, blinking at her sudden child-like behaviour. He was about to say something to her when suddenly he felt a gooey liquid on his cheek. He looked down at her hand seeing one of her fingers covered with the chocolate frosting from the cake. Jenny looked up at Eli with a shy smile, giggling as she off her finger.
 
"What??" She said, biting her bottom lip. Eli smirked, reaching over dipping his own finger into the cake, dabbing the chocolate onto her nose.
 
"There! Now we're e-" Eli was cut off by Jenny shoving a part of the cake into his face. He blinked in surprise, Jenny pulling her hand back, nibbling off some of the crumbs from her hand. Once Eli snapped out of the shock he grabbed a part of the cake, doing the same to her, however she moved her head, the glob of cake hitting her cheek.
 
"Eek!" She giggled, grabbing another handful of cake. Eli's eyes widened, looking down at her hand as he tried to run away. She laughed throwing the cake, hitting him in the back of his head. Eli spun around, giving her an even smirk.
 
"Oh. Alright. It's on!" He shouted with a chuckle.
 
Soon the kitchen was covered with frosting cake, and berries. Eli and Jenny had made their way into the living room where Eli tackled her down onto the couch. Jenny let out a small squeal, giggling when Eli began to tickle her with his frosting covered fingers. She wiggled around beneath him, trying to get him to stop.
 
"Ellliiii!" She laughed, hitting his shoulder. Eli smiled, stopping with his torture, looking up at her slightly flushed face. He lifted his hand up, moving her bangs out of her face, leaning down and kissing her gently. Jenny smiled against his lips, her arms wrapping around his neck. The slow sweet kiss lasted a few seconds longer before Eli pulled back. His eyes wandered her slightly frosted face, his lips pulling into another large smile.
 
"I love you Jenny." He said sweetly, his eyes gleeming as he looked down at her.
 
"I love you too...even if you are a stupid pigeon." She said with a teasing grin.
 
"Ok that's it. I am never allowing you to talk to Jaeseop again." He joked, sitting up and pulling her with him.
 
"Come on pigeon. Let's go take a shower." She smirked, kissing his cheek, jumping off the couch and pulling him along to the bathroom. Eli laughed, grabbing her and picking her up bridal style, kissing her deeply before carrying her the rest of the way, shutting the door behind them.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note: I'm sorry the ending was so horrible. I'm sorry I made you wait months for this crap. All I can do is continue to apologize...