Part I

Steamed Buns

 

 

The two of them build a special kind of friendship that Xiumin himself didn't foresee. Luhan stayed in apartment 907 and Xiumin was only a door away at 909. He admitted that at first Luhan was pretty annoying. He told him once that he left the steamed buns shop, he would cut off all connections.

It was hard to do considering that the he and the boy lived on the same floor. He’d always meet those beautiful curious eyes no matter how he tried to avoid them. He didn’t want to get close to him, but there was something about Xi Luhan that made him curious. Why was he in such a happy mood all the time even if he was stuck for 7 hours inside a cramped and hot kitchen selling buns to people from all walks of life?

The job may sound simple and easy truth is, it never was.

At around 8pm, the elevator door opens up, and just like any other regular day, the bright eyed Luhan was there clutching his messenger bag.  Xiumin gives a quick nod to acknowledge his presence.  

“Where are you going?” Luhan asked.

“Food court.”

When the doors close Luhan turns to him. “Found a new job?”

Xiumin breathed in deeply before answering his question.  “I’m sure I’ll find the right one soon.” He answered in monotone. But he also wanted to ask him, what was he doing at the 3rd floor? But still, it comes out.

“I was singing at the studio room.” Luhan said, but his tone was different. Like, there was a mixture of something that Xiumin couldn’t pick up. It could be sadness or regret, maybe a mixture of both.

“Really? For auditions?” Now, Xiumin wished that the elevator would slow down.

“Not really. I auditioned once, company took me in, got my hopes up until one day I got a mail that I wasn’t – oh wait, this the floor. 7th floor food court.” said Luhan brightly.

 “Oh. Okay, take care.” And with that being said, Xiumin steps out of the elevator lift with a small smile. He and Luhan always shared small talks in the elevator, and a part of Xiumin knew that one way or another, Luhan already considered him his friend.

4 days before audition

Xiumin made himself a cup of coffee. Baekhyun had left 3 text messages for him reminding him about SM Entertainment’s offer.  Baekhyun’s last text was still on his mind:

You wanted to be a singer Minseok. Now’s the chance, prove to your family that you can achieve your dreams. 5 trainees have been kicked out for your special audition with four other people. It’ll be on the 14th.I’ll text you the details soon this is supposed to be TOP SECRET okay. Prepare, prepare and prepare! - Baek

He knew that his friends were being serious when they addressed him by his Korean name. He deletes a couple of messages and takes a whiff of his strong cup of coffee. He didn’t want to go back that intimidating building that shattered his dreams. That one ‘no’ made him the of jokes among his family members who knew from the very beginning that he wouldn’t be a successful idol.

He glanced at the calendar near his bed:

August 14th was a Saturday.

He had to prepare in 4 days.

 

“Luhan, could you come over my place for a second?”

Luhan gives him thumbs up and his beautiful smile but the smell of burning eggs sends him back to his own apartment. “. I forgot to turn off the fire!”

Xiumin stepped inside Luhan’s place.

Luhan dumped the pan on the sink and let the tap run while Xiumin fanned the smoke away using his hands, coughing slightly in the process. It was his first time stepping inside his apartment. It was the same size as his own place, except Luhan’s looked a lot cleaner. His bed was fully made and his shoes were neatly piled on the side.

 “This seriously .” said Luhan who looked devastated. “There goes my egg.”

Xiumin wanted to laugh but he tried his best to fight back the fit of giggles that threatened to come out.  

“Don’t even try to laugh.” Luhan told him. He thought about what he had just said and realized that it did sound funny.  

“Ouch.” Luhan inspected his thumb: it was bright red.

“You okay?”

Luhan shoos him away. “I’m fine. Just a small burn I guess. So what kind of help will I offer you?” he asked while he blew on his thumb.

‘Well, I just need you to listen to me while I sing. Tell me the truth okay? No lies. I just need an honest opinion about my voice.”

Luhan pulls up a chair. “Go ahead, Minseok.” he smiled. “I promise you this won’t be biased.”

 

 

I love you guys for not unsubscribing. This is part one. This fanfic will only have 2-3 parts and I hope you guys enjoyed reading this even if I at writing. ;A; okay thanks! Leave comments below and subscribers are loved! :D