2

Illusion

 

Da Eun stood in EXO-K’s dressing room, trying to finish up before the six boys were expected on stage. People were rushing all around and it was chaotic. But the hectic situation was one she would have to get used to. “Da Eun sshi, can I ask you something?” she glanced at the boy through the mirror, his eyes staring back at her, “yeah, sure.” Da Eun let her gaze move back to his hair, which she continued to work on. “Why did you choose this job? I mean, it must be stressful.” a smile graced her lips, in difference to many did she sort of like the stress, “I’ve always liked to fix other peoples’ hair and having a fast-phased job is something I like.” it satisfied her in a way no other job had done. “There, you’re done.”

The next person in line was the main singer, or D.O as his stage name was. It’d taken her nearly two days to practice their names and positions in the group, all so she would have to know who was who. “Please sit.” the male did as told, but only after he’d given her a once-over, “aren’t you a bit young to work here.” her eyebrows furrowed in slight irritation, she’d heard such words many times before, “you don’t have to worry about that.” Da Eun looked at the mirror in front just in time to catch a small smile upon the younger boy’s lips. “I’m more than capable of doing my job.” the conversation died after that and she was left to finish up in silence. Kyungsoo though, kept on staring, his lips pressed together in a firm line. He didn’t like her, not the slightest, as the happiness she displayed annoyed him.

Da Eun was left to clean the space around her once the six boys headed off towards the stage. “You are really good at this.” the other hairstylist smiled and she felt utterly pleased by the compliment. Even more so as the other woman was double her age, “thank you.” putting back the hairspray and clay in the right place she looked up at the small TV hanging in the corner of the room. Never before had she seen her own work being displayed in a broadcast, and watching them perform brought another smile to her lips, “they are really good, too.” Da Eun could say she was surprised by their vocal, as well as dance ability. But then again, the girl didn’t have many to compare with. “They’re one of the most hardworking group of people I’ve ever met.” Da Eun gave the TV one quick glance before she returned to clean up the last.

It took several hours for the music show to be completed and it was already dark when she stepped out on the street. The day was far from over though, as there was still one more schedule left. “Da Eun.” she spun around to face the person who’d spoken, “yeah?” it was one of the managers, one whose name she couldn’t remember. “The other car is loaded with stuff so you’ll have to ride with the guys.” the girl blinked, she didn’t quite understand what he meant, “I’m not allowed to ride in that car.” Mr. Oh had been really strict about that part and she would never go against him. “We’ll make an exception today.” Da Eun was not given the chance to ask further before she was ushered in the direction of the other car. All of the guys had already taken a seat and she had no other choice but to sit in the back, next to Chanyeol, who gave her a small smile, “noona shouldn’t you be in the other car?” heaving a sigh the girl stared out through the window, “I would’ve if it had enough room.” laughter erupted from the side where Chanyeol was seated, but it was the boy next to him who were laughing. "Having fun?" a frown grew on her lips as the male continued, his laughter echoing in her ears. She thought it was rude to laugh at other people's misfortune. "Yah! Isn't it enough." Chanyeol slapped a hand over Kyungsoo's mouth, as to silence his friend, "you don't have to overdo it."

She fell asleep in the car, a result of the jet lag that were yet to settle after the flight, something that would take a few more days.

Da Eun was abruptly awakened when they arrived to where the radio show was being held. "Noona hurry, we're already late." gazing up at the boy she proceeded to gently rub her tired eyes. "Alright, alright." a yawn slipped past her lips as she moved about to stand, her eyes fluttering close for a brief moment. "You're already tired?" Kyungsoo's eyes narrowed in disapproval, he couldn't understand why they'd chosen her for the job. She was obviously not suited. But Da Eun smiled, totally unaffected by his words, "there's no need to worry. I can take care of myself." with that said did the girl follow after Chanyeol, who'd begun to head towards the building, thus leaving a frowning Kyungsoo behind. He wasn't amused.

Another sort of chaos erupted as the six boys were getting ready, as a few of them needed some more make-up and hairstyling done. "EVERYONE NEED TO HURRY. THE SHOW IS STARTING IN TEN MINUTES." adrenaline pumped in her veins and all previous thoughts about sleep was gone. "Da Eun sshi can you take care of Kyungsoo. He needs some more styling." the younger boy stared at her with an expression she had trouble reading, and it made her uneasy. Da Eun didn't understand why he was acting like that. It wasn't like she'd done anything to upset him, not that she knew of at least. A quick shake of her head and the thoughts cleared. Maybe she was thinking too much. There was after all a culture difference and people were bound to react in ways Da Eun wasn't familiar with. "Could you take a seat?" she kept her eyes glued to Kyungsoo as he made his way over. "Not tired anymore?" her eyebrows drew together and she couldn't help but to wonder whether he always acted like that. "Very funny." she looked up and met his gaze through the mirror in front, his smile had grown even wider, "it is." Da Eun rolled her eyes, thinking he was just trying to be funny, "I'm glad I amuse you."

She and the other hairstylist watched the show from behind the glass, which separated the studio from the rest of the world. Some fans were also standing there, watching as the boys answered various questions and performed songs she'd never heard before. A certain question popped up several times whilst they stood there and Da Eun whispered, making sure no one else heard, "does Kyungsoo interrogate everyone?" she took notice how the woman on her right smiled, "don't worry, he's just curious." having no reason to doubt her co-worker the girl nodded and then averted her eyes back to the glass, only to feel the knots in her stomach tighten when the said boy gave her a stern look. Da Eun was confused and neither did it help that he, once every other minute, sent her the same stare. Was he curious or did he have some secret agenda? The girl frowned. Whatever he had in mind he could just forget it, because she was definitely not going to risk her job nor her boyfriend over some idol.

It was close to midnight when the recording was over and Da Eun could barely wait to get home. The girl realized pretty soon though, that the day was not completely over, as she received another request, "Da Eun could you head to the café next-door and buy some drinks for the guys." she was given some money and then told to hurry. "Noona buy me bubble tea." Sehun's voice called after her and she gave him a quick nod even though she had no idea what that was.

Da Eun was uncertain to what the other five liked, therefore did she settle with simple water for them. The bubble tea thingy looked quite unappealing, especially when the male behind the cashier prepared it. "What is the round things laying on the bottom?" the man glanced her way, as if surprised by her question, "you don't know?" Da Eun shook her head, it was the first time she'd seen such a drink. "It's tapioca balls." it wouldn't have made any difference, whether she'd asked or not, because the girl had no clue what that was either. The word disgusting was the only word running through her mind when looking at it though. "That'll be five thousand." Da Eun paid and then moved over to grasp the bubble tea and the plastic bag with water.

Sehun practically ran to her once she entered, a tired smile was plastered upon his lips as he thanked her. "You're welcome." moving over she began to handed every one of them a bottle of water, several thank you's were sent her way as she did. Da Eun came to a stop though, when reaching Kyungsoo, who stared down on her, "water?" she blinked at him, uncertain to what he meant by that, "yes, did you want something else?" Kyungsoo shrugged, not giving away anything, before he grasped onto the bottle, his hand wrapping around hers. The contact of his skin against her own stunned the said girl, and she pulled away in haste, her eyes narrowing at him, "stop playing around. You're giving other people the wrong idea." pressing his lips together he headed towards his group members, who were waiting to leave. Da Eu noticed how his whole demeanor changed when interacting with the other boys, "curious, huh."