Chapter 1

I'm Sorry

 

“Danielle, are you afraid of anything?” Eli asked his best friend as he drank the red bull that she had bought for him.  Danielle’s hazel eyes darted from him to the other table, where Soohyun, Kiseop, Dongho, AJ and Hoon were sitting, for a second before replying sadly, “My greatest fear is losing someone I love.”

Kevin and Eli shared a knowing look and teased, “You’re talking about Soohyun hyung right?”

Danielle gaped at their response.  She ran her hand through her hair in attempt to cover her growing blush.  The two waited for her to answer but a small ring of her phone saved her from any possible embarrassment. 

“Hello?...uhu…Okay, see you soon,” she muttered hanging up the phone.  She threw her two best friends an apologetic smile.

“Hey I’m sorry. I know you guys don’t visit America that often and I don’t get to see you as much since I left Korea, but I really have to go.  The hospital called me in for an emergency surgery.” Danielle explained.  She turned to the owner of her favorite café and called out, “Hey Mark, just let them order what they want and put it on my tab.  I’ll pay you later.”

“Okay, I’m assuming you got called in again?” the young owner asked the twenty-three year old, black haired, doctor as he wiped the wet dishes.

“Yeah, I have to go. See you guys later!” She exclaimed hugging Eli and Kevin and giving a short bow to the other members before running off to her car.

“She’s so busy and we’re so busy.  We don’t get to see or talk to her that often anymore,” Kevin sighed watching the black BMW leave the café parking lot.

“Yeah and we’re leaving tomorrow too.  Soohyun hyung hasn’t confessed his love to her yet,” Dongho sadly added.  Everyone looked at the twenty-seven year old power voice, who was being unusually quiet.

“Hyung, why can’t you just tell her? Don’t you love her?” Kiseop asked taking a bite of the cake he had ordered previously.

“I love her that’s why I’m doing this.” Soohyun whispered, his eyes showing nothing but emptiness. 

“You’re pushing her away because you love her? You think that is helping her? Wake up and look at what you’re doing! Ever since Kevin and I introduced her to everyone she’s touched everyone’s lives including yours! She became Hoon’s exercise partner when we were all too lazy to go with him.  She helped Kiseop with some of his depression problems.  She practiced lines with Dongho.  She helped Kevin and me  when we missed our families and when life didn’t seem to go our way.  She even visited AJ in New York for us since we were too busy with promotions.  Then I don’t know if you remember but she was with you every waking moment of the day in the hospital when your mother was sick.  She supported us all the way even when she left for America three years ago and what do we give her? A text message once a month, a post on twitter, a post card? I don’t even understand why she hasn’t given  up yet and you most specially don’t deserve the love she gives you!” Eli countered angrily before storming out of the café with Kevin following after him.  Everyone looked at their leader, who was now gripping a crushed soda can.

“Soooo, are there anymore things that you guys want to order?” Mark asked rubbing the back of his head sheepishly.

***

“Finally, I’m done!” Danielle cheered as she saved another patient’s life.  She stared at the clock and frowned it was already 11:00pm. Her surgery took up three hours.  She was pretty sure that all of the U-Kiss members were already sleeping.  Sighing  to herself, she made her way down to the cafeteria to grab some coffee, but before she could even step foot inside, a nurse came to fetch her. 

“We need you for another surgery!” she frantically told her. The short doctor sighed tiredly but nonetheless followed the nurse at the East wing of the hospital.

“What’s the situation?” she asked retying her long black hair into a pony tail and readjusting her white lab coat.

“A car crash ma’am.  A drunk driver crashed into a minivan…” The nurse started but when Danielle saw six familiar faces, she immediately ran up to them.

“Eli, Kevin, Dongho, Kiseop, Hoon and AJ! What happened?” She yelled checking all of their injuries.  The nurses treating them seemed to blush as they wrapped the bandages around their nice shaped torsos. 

“We were on our way to the hotel from our show and this truck just slammed into us,” Hoon explained slowly as he hissed in pain.  Danielle looked around and immediately noticed the missing leader.

“Wh-ere is Soohyun?” she choked fearing that her guess might be right.

“He’s in the ER. He shielded me and took the full blow,” Eli cried, bringing his face in his hands. 

“Oh dear god,” Danielle whispered in horror. She watched every single member of U-Kiss cry for their leader.  Taking a deep breath, Danielle barked out orders, “I need stats and the ten of the best nurses here now!”  Danielle took the clipboard as the nurses scrambled to get themselves organized.

“Multiple glass shards embedded in his body with a dislocated shoulder,” she muttered studying the chart.  Soon enough, the nurses had finally gathered and were ready to go.  A hand grabbed Danielle’s arm, making her turn back.  She found Eli with fear and guilt evident in his eyes.  She knew something had happened between them but it was still unknown to her what it was.

“Don’t worry. Now just relax and wait,” She mumbled hugging one of her best friend that she had known since high school before entering the surgical room.

Danielle nearly cried at the sight of the man she had been in love with, who was now covered in blood, cuts and bruises.  His brown hair had red splotches  from the blood and his once peaceful face was now scrunched up in agony. 

“Soohyun, you need to stay awake. Okay?” she instructed the man, wiping the fallen hair away from his face. Soohyun fluttered his eyes open indicating that he had heard her. She kissed the part of his forehead that wasn’t covered in blood and proceeded with the operation.  She carefully pulled out the glass shards and debris from his body as she monitored his condition. 

***

Two hours passed and most of the debris were out, the nurses were stitching his wounds and his shoulder was moved back in place. 

“Doctor, we found a piece glass near his ribcage.” One of the nurses told her.  Danielle looked at the scans they had taken and cursed slightly.  The glass was just near his left lung.  Wiping the sweat off of her forehead, she grabbed her tools and tried to grab the shard.

“He’s losing blood fast!” a nurse warned.

“Soohyun it’s almost there. I can get it just please stay with me! I love you please! ” she cried out, desperately trying to find the glass.

Beeepppppppppppp!!!

The sound of the monitor made Danielle cry out. Fear was reflecting in her eyes as she watched the person she love fall out of reality and into the darkness of the deepen abyss.

“No!! Soohyun! Wake up!” She yelled crying loudly, breaking down.  A male nurse moved her out of the way as they used the defibrillator to restart the idol’s heart.

“Clear!”

   Danielle shook uncontrollably, already blaming herself for his death.  Everything around her seemed to disappear and one thought only came to mind, “I killed him…it’s my fault. It’s my fault!” she slowly dropped on the floor, burying her face in her hands.

“Danielle get yourself together!” a nurse told her, but she stayed frozen on the spot.

“Clear!” another nurse yelled.

Beep…Beep…Beep…

“He’s alive Danielle.  Now get your act together!” The male nurse, who was holding her said as he helped her up from the ground.

“He needs you Danielle, please you can do it.  No one in here is more capable that you. Please,” another nurse encouraged her, hoping to get the doctor to snap back into reality.  Danielle stayed frozen for a few more minutes before giving a determined look, “Thank you now let’s find that last glass, while keeping him stable.”

***

After a gruesome five hours of surgery , Danielle came out of the emergency room to find U-Kiss pacing around.  She was immediately tackled by AJ frantically asking, “How is hyung?”

“He’s stable now.  We’re transferring him his own room. He’ll wake up in a few hours,” she answered tiredly.  She plopped down on the couch next to Hoon leaned back on the couch. 

“Can we see him?” Kevin asked quietly wiping his teary eyes.

“Yeah, but before you do. Someone tell me why Eli looked so guilty?” She asked looking at the pigeon like idol. Everyone looked at each other silently debating who was going to tell the furious doctor.

“Hyung got into a fight with Eli hyung about you,” Dongho, the brave soul, started.  The maknae elbowed Kiseop, urging him to continue the story.

“Eli basically told off Hyung about how he doesn’t deserve your love. After, Eli left the café with Kevin.  I don’t know where they went but we met up again for our concert.  We performed and on the way to the hotel, Kevin was driving.  Hoon was next to him and me, Dongho, and AJ were in the back.  Eli and hyung were in the middle row. We were at a stop sign and when it was our turn, a big white truck rammed into the van, where Soohyun hyung and Eli were sitting. Hyung grabbed Eli and shielded him the best he could. The door of the van slammed into hyung and everything else I don’t remember.” Kiseop explained slightly shaking from the experience.  Danielle turned to her best friend, who was still teary eyed. 

“Thank you for defending me, but it’s Soohyun’s decision. We can’t do anything about it,” she muttered wiping Eli’s tears away with  a tissue that she pulled out from her coat pocket.  She kissed his forehead just like an older sister would making him chuckle, “you know I’m older than you by two years, but you still act like a noona to me.”

“I know,  why don’t you guys sleep in Soohyun’s room? I’ll ask the nurses to bring some pillows, blankets and some foam beds you can sleep in.” Danielle suggested her noona mode coming out again.

“Thank you, noona,” Dongho yawned stretching his arms out.  Danielle led them to room 0311 where their leader would be staying in.  Once she opened the door, they all found the oldest member sleeping peacefully on the bed. His hair was now back to its brown color, he was cleaned from all the blood and his face now held and angelic expression.  Once the nurses finished moving some foam beds for the boys, Danielle sat down on the chair closest to the bed and brushed the hair that was covering Soohyun’s eyes.

“Danielle you should sleep,” Hoon pointed out as he laid down on his specific bed.

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine. You guys sleep. You all need it,” She whispered; her eyes not leaving the singer.  Kevin, her other best friend, placed a blanket on her and kissed her cheek, “Good night and thank you.”

“No problem, it’s my job.” She muttered, letting sleep take over.

***

The next morning, Soohyun woke up from the sunlight peeking through the window of his hospital room. He groaned softly as he tried to sit upright.  He found the remaining members of U-Kiss sleeping on their own foamed beds. His eyes lingered around for a moment then it landed on the black haired girl next to him. He felt his heart wrench as he watched her cry in her sleep.  He was about to wake her up and tell her that it’ll be okay when a voice stopped him.

“If you do that. You better know what you want and what is good for her. I’m sick of seeing her fake smile around you. If you make her cry again. I will make sure that you will never be around her again and I will personally take her for myself. I love her with my life but she doesn’t love me. She loves you, so please take care of her. She’s one of a kind,” Eli whispered looking at Soohyun in the eyes.

“Thank you, I promise I won’t hurt her.”

“Good take care of her and consider us even from when you saved me. I won’t get in the way of your love,” Eli mumbled, letting his gaze land on Danielle before walking out of the room.

Soohyun nodded as he reached for the girls porcelain face. He used his thumb to wipe her tears away, waking her up from her sleep.

“Soohyun?” She asked rubbing her eyes. He gave her the famous Soohyun grin before motioning her to get on the bed. He wrapped his good arm around her waist as she placed her head on the part of his chest that wasn’t hurt.

“I love you, I’m sorry. I thought pushing you away will save you from getting your heart broken when I can’t be with you, but instead it just made you hurt even more,” Soohyun started kissing her forehead. She looked up at him and cried, “It took you a life threatening situation to tell me sorry and that you love me? What if I don’t love you anymore? What if I moved on and you’re too late?”

Soohyun was speechless at her outburst but nonetheless nuzzled his face in the crook of her neck.

“You love me,” he teased

“How do you know?” she countered teasing back trying to keep her mind focused as he trailed kisses down her neck to her collar bone.

“Because you yelled it in the ER, so don’t deny it. I love you and you love me. I don’t plan on letting you go again. So marry me,” he mumbled kissing her jawline.  Before she could answer, he crashed his lips into hers, which she responded back with the equal passion.

“As much as I’m happy to see you two together. Please wait after everyone is out of the room before you all each other’s faces,” AJ retorted cutting their moment. The two blushed, noticing their audience.

“Okay well you kids play nice okay,” Kevin winked before leaving the hospital room.

“Don’t make babies until you’re married!” Dongho told them following Kevin.

“Uhh what they said,” Kiseop muttered awkwardly , keeping his head down as he left the room.

“Good to see you two together hyung,” Hoon grinned before closing the door behind him, leaving the two alone.

An awkward silence surrounded the two as Danielle continued to blush from the member’s comments.

“So I’ll take that as a yes that you want to marry me,” Soohyun stated referring back to her kiss.

“You think I’ll just say yes after what you’ve put me through?” She countered folding her arms across her chest.  Soohyun chuckled resting his chin on top of her head.

“Can you reach into my pants pocket that’s on the table?” Soohyun asked pointing at his blood covered jeans. Danielle didn’t question his request as she hopped off the bed and to the table.

“No way,” she breathed out looking at the box that was in his pocket.

“Open it. I bought it three years ago but you left before I could even ask. So now I’m asking, Danielle will you marry me?” He muttered. She looked at the ring in her hands as she sat back down on the bed next to him.

“Yes, I will marry you,”

“Good because I don’t think I can live without you,” he whispered closing the distance between their lips.