Chapter Eight

Emotionally Stripped

 

Yoon Hee stared out the window as the van maneuvered through Seoul traffic, Soo Jin bounced happily in her seat beside her and Joon giggled with her as they talked about silly, childish things. She was nervous, her nerves jittery and on edge and she trembled slightly as the van pulled in a big lot behind a tall building. Soo Jin gave an excited squeal as Joon pulled the door open and swung her down to the ground keeping her tiny hand in his as he extended his free one to Yoon Hee.

She slipped her hand in his and if he felt the nervous tremble he said nothing as he helped her from the van and then led them inside the building through a back door. Yoon Hee was surprised to find that they were in a studio, the gleaming hardwood floors visible through large windows. She could hear laughing and light music coming from a room further down the hall and she followed behind Joon as he pulled her and Soo Jin towards it.

Joon stopped outside the studio door and he could tell that Yoon Hee and her daughter were curious about what lay beyond the door since they couldn’t see through the window because one of the others had pulled the curtain and hid the room from sight.  Soo Jin bounced in places, little noises of excitement squeaking past her lips. Joon chuckled and pushed open the door.

Yoon Hee stepped through and her eyes widened at the sight that met her. The room was lit with a shining glow, lights hung everywhere, accompanied by candles to give the room a cheerful and romantic light. The remaining four members of MBLAQ stood gathered together beside a beautifully decorated, if not a little childishly, Christmas tree, more lights adorned it and little mix-matched ornaments that looked to be handmade hung from the artificial limbs, the lights glinting off of them with a twinkle. There was a mountain of presents surrounding the bottom of the tree that had her eyes growing even wider, she had never seen so many.

Tearing her eyes away from the tree she shifted them around the studio until they landed on the large blanket set in the center of the room, food stuffs laid out like a feast. The aroma wafted her way and she inhaled deeply, the enticing scents causing her stomach to rumble in anticipation. Her face flushed prettily around.

Soo Jin didn’t seem to find being surrounded by complete strangers an issue as she had already begun to happily chatter with Mir as plates and utensils were passed around and the food doled out. Yoon Hee was still quiet, hadn’t said a word since Joon had picked them up and now she felt the tension relax from her body as she watched her daughter interact with first one man and then another, the members of MBLAQ just as entranced with her as she was with them.

The meal was a nice affair, noisy, but still Yoon Hee couldn’t complain when her stomach was full to bursting and one look at her daughter told her that Soo Jin had had more than enough to eat. The members of MBLAQ quickly cleared away the extra food, packing it away in leftover containers and stacking the dishes neatly into a basket which Yoon Hee assumed meant that they would clean them later. Joon disappeared just as the last dish was cleared away and Seung Ho began pulling out paper plates and plastic utensils.

She was curious as to what they could possibly want with more food when she was already so full she didn’t think she’d be able to eat for the next couple of days, but her thoughts died away when Joon returned carrying a cake with seven already lit candles. The members of MBLAQ broke into song as he sat down the cake and pulled Soo Jin into his lap. The thoughtfulness behind the gesture brought a shimmering gleam to her eyes as her daughter stared at the cake mesmerized as the last words of “Happy Birthday” faded in the air. She watched as Soon Jin leaned forward and after a moment of careful thought that Yoon Hee knew she was using to make her wish she blew out the candles and settled back into Joon’s lap, resting her back against his chest as Joon s an arm around her small waist.

 

 

With the cake consumed and the paper plates and utensils piled into a large trash bag Joon stood and led Soo Jin over to the tree where he sat down with her while Yoon Hee and the others gathered around. Seung Ho and G.O set about handing out and Yoon Hee was tearfully smiling at the large pile of gifts that appeared in front of her daughter. Her eyes widen and she gave a sharp intake of hair as Joon began piling brightly colored gifts in front of her and she snapped her eyes to his only to see him smiling, his cheeks slightly pink with flush. The thought touched her as she reached out a trembling hand to one of the gifts and slowly unwrapped it.

Laughter echoed throughout the room as everyone stopped what they were doing to watch Soo Jin tear into the pile of gifts with abandon. Although slightly embarrassed by her daughter’s utter lack of manners in her enthusiasm Yoon Hee was happy to see that her daughter was glowing, her smile large and luminous and she finally reached the end of her gifts and threw herself first at Joon, wrapping her small arms around his neck and kissing his cheek before she repeated the gesture to each of the other four members earning more chuckles.

All in all it had been a great birthday for Soo Jin and a Christmas that Yoon Hee knew she’d never forget. Joon and his friends had made it extremely special for the both of them and for that Yoon Hee could never be thankful enough. Joon and the others had gone above and beyond anything anyone else had ever done and it didn’t seem as if they were quite finished yet.

After the wrappings had been gathered and thrown away and Soo Jin had neatly stacked all her new toys and clothes in a pile near the door the five men gestured for her to take a seat. Mir fetched a CD player from a corner of the room and after pressing play lined up with the other members and from there they gave Yoon Hee and Soo Jin their own private concert.

Yoon Hee nodded her head along with the music marveling at how talented they were as they moved around the studio with one song after another, sometimes dancing, sometimes singing whether it be one of their own songs or another from another idol group that they knew the words and dance steps too. Soo Jin jumped up from her seat and although she didn’t know the proper steps to dance along with the others she made up her own. Yoon Hee giggled at her daughter’s antics, but she was glad that her daughter seemed to be enjoying herself and she was also happy that Joon had come through with the promise he had made her daughter.

It seemed to her that whenever she felt the doubt creeping in Joon proved time and again that he meant to keep whatever promise he made and Yoon Hee was thankful for that even though she knew just how lucky her and Soo Jin were to be able to be a part of his life when he was so well known and adored. Sometimes she felt as if maybe they were taking his presence for granted, that maybe they had become so use to him being around, but the more she thought about the more she knew that she didn’t want to not be able to see him.

She felt something around him, her heart fluttering, racing so fast it made her dizzy. Her body ached in ways she had never before imagined, it was ache of something she couldn’t identify, but when she was around him she became aware of nothing else other than the way her body reacted to his closeness, to the way he smiled and the charming way he acted. There was something definitely special about Lee Joon and if she was honest, if only with herself, she was fast losing her heart to him. Now that thought frightened her, but it was a thought to view another day. Today was a special day and she didn’t want to think of anything that might dampen it.

 

 

Soo Jin was curled up in Mir’s lap as he read her store from one of the numerous books she had been given. While the others settled around to listen Joon sat back against a mirrored wall beside Yoon Hee as she leaned her head against the glass and smiled, her eyes closed and her breathing deep and even. He smiled at her sleeping face before he reached over and gently urged her head to lean against his chest, settling one arm behind her back to rest against her waist as she snuggled closer in sleep.

With Mir’s voice lowly echoing around the room, the quiet laughter of Soo Jin and the others as the snickered over a funny part and the steady streaming of Christmas music playing softly from the CD player Joon found himself relaxing even more. Yoon Hee’s slight for heated his body and he pulled her closer to enjoy the warmth of her as he closed his eyes and let out a sigh of contentment.

It had been a successful Christmas/birthday party and he was glad that he and his friends had been able to pull it off. Joon was even gladder that Yoon Hee and Soo Jin had enjoyed themselves and been able to let loose and enjoy themselves. A thought settled into his mind and his lips twitched into a silly grin when the thought of family and how right Soo Jin and Yoon Hee had fit in with those he considered as close as family can be. He found himself thinking of the future, of other parties and holidays, family outings with the members of MBLAQ and he definitely wanted Yoon Hee and her daughter to be a part of that.

The more time he spent with them the more he wanted to continue to be a part of their lives, the more he wanted them to be a part of his life. With startling clarity Joon realized that he had already lost his heart to Yoon Hee and the pixie-like Soo Jin and he didn’t ever want to have to let them go. With that thought in mind, with the steady sounds in the backround Joon slipped into sleep and joined Yoon Hee in the world of dreams.

From the warmth of Mir’s lap Soo Jin smiled at the sight of her mother and Joon and whispered to herself her birthday wish. She desperately wished that it would come true.