Jellyfish in the Rain

Addicted to a Beautiful Disaster

 

Jiyong wanted nothing more than to get out of the practice room. Since Big Bang was on hiatus while Seungri was “searching for himself”—or whatever bull the PR team came up with—the rest of them were pursuing solo things. Jiyong would have rather been doing something with acting, but apparently the studio company thought it would be best for him to work on a third album. There was also talk about a concert schedule being planned out for the last album he’d done.

Finally, though, the choreographer called for an end to the practice for the day. Jiyong had no interest in waiting around to chat with the trainees, particularly the girls who had been eyeing him the entire time. Like he had any time to consider a relationship right now, anyway. He was pretty aware that none of them had learned his reputation, either, but that didn’t bother him. They would eventually, and he had little interest in taking advantage of anyone right now.

“See you all tomorrow,” he said, sending the room a fake eye-smile that had the girls blushing.

Jiyong considered just going out as he was, but ended up making a pit-stop at home in order to shower and change. He tried to dress down, wearing a pair of ripped up jeans and a t-shirt he’d found at one of the street vendors that he’d liked. As a disguise, he pulled out a medical mask and slipped it on. It was a cheap way to obscure the lower half of his face. While it might not have worked during the day, it was late, and he had the benefit of the darkness as well as people being too tired to pay that much attention.

COEX Mall was a rather large place to have to search in order to find one person, but he was determined. Jiyong figured his best bet was to stick close to the aquarium. That was the first place he’d met you, anyway.

To his shock, not five minutes after walking down the stairs into the mall, he spotted the familiar figure wandering out of a tattoo parlor.

He paused to watch you, taking in the way your tattoos jumped out in the glare of the mall’s lighting. You were skinny, but not unhealthily so. He knew from experience that for the most part you were solid, lean muscle hidden under a thin layer of fat to keep you soft.

You also had one hell of a round-house kick.

Moving up behind you, he was about to say something when he heard your stomach growl loudly. Chuckling a little, he teased, “Hungry?”

The fact you jumped made him chuckle even more, and the way you light up with that huge smile made something in his lower belly tighten.

“Hey, Ryuu.”

Ryuu? Oh, right. That first night, he’d made up a name because he wasn’t sure if he wanted to trust you with who he really was. The next day, he’d kept up the charade, because he definitely didn’t want you going to the media about what happened.

“Annyeong,” he greeted you calmly with a grin. “How’ve you been, Sunhi-ah?”

You rolled your eyes. “You don’t have to be formal, you know. I’m pretty sure we skipped that.”

If he wasn’t mistaken, you were blushing. Tonight was turning out better and better.

He shrugged. “What do you think I should call you, then?”

“Sunnie works,” you supplied, before tensing up a little. No one had called you that except Bonwha. But, for some reason, the idea of Ryuu doing so didn’t bother you.

Although there was no way for him to know the significance, he still looked pleased to be given a nickname for you.

“Arasso, Sunnie,” he said with a little nod. Then he smirked again. “So, I’m assuming you’re hungry…?”

You huffed and crossed your arms. You had really hoped no one else had heard the growling of your stomach, but apparently that was too good to be true. You were really embarrassed, but managed to shrug it off.

“Ne,” you nodded. “I was going to the aquarium next, but I guess I’ll eat first. You… want to join me?”

The guy you knew as Ryuu looked like he was considering something, but you had no idea what there was for him to think about. It was just a meal, not like you were asking him on a date, or proposing marriage. You tensed up in preparation for the rejection.

“Sure,” he finally stated.

You were surprised, but that faded quickly into a huge smile. “Great!”

The two of you were mostly silent on the way to the nearest food court. You were busy glancing around and praying not to see someone you recognized, and Jiyong was doing the same—but hoping no one recognized him.

Not in the mood for something complex, you ended up just ordering from the McDonald’s. To be honest, for the most part, you just wanted the fries.

Jiyong just got a drink, not really hungry although he’d spent most of the day doing intense exercise. He figured you wouldn’t mind if he stole a couple fries.

After you’d eaten a couple of bites, you glanced up at him. “So, what’s your real name?”

He froze for a split second, too long, but still tried to be confused. “What do you mean?”

“You aren’t Japanese, I can tell,” you said, rolling your eyes. “Nihongo wo hanamasu ka?” Do you speak Japanese?

From the blank look on his face, you had your answer. Smirking triumphantly, you gestured at him with a one of the longer fries.

Jiyong knew he was caught, and wished he’d spent more time learning a second language. Or at least, wish he’d picked up more Japanese.

“Alright, so Ryuu’s not my real name,” he said with a heavy sigh. “Do you really need to know what it is?”

“It’s only fair. You know an awful lot about me, and I don’t even know your real name.”

Granted that was mostly because when you met him, you’d been too high to keep secrets.

Jiyong knew that, but figured he wouldn’t be an and point that out. Besides, you had done nothing but be honest with him.

“My name’s Jiyong,” he said with a little sigh.

To his shock, you had no reaction, besides nodding a little and eating the fry you’d pointed at him with. Maybe he had gotten so used to fans being excited to see him that he was a little disappointed that you weren’t.

Or was it possible that you aren’t even a fan?

“Jiyong-ssi,” you said.

He frowned, “Yah! Don’t be so formal, I—”

Your laughter cut him off. You’d mostly just been formal to see what he did in response, and his being so upset about it made you laugh. Hiding your mouth with the back of one hand, you curled in on yourself to try and contain the noise.

“Aish,” he grumbled, slumping a little.

“Aigoo, Jiyong-oppa is so kyeopta

,” you teased, giggling a little.

To say you were the first girl to call him that would be a huge lie. Most of the trainees referred him that way if they got to know him well enough. However, when you said it, it seemed sincere. You weren’t trying to put on excess aegyo, you were just showing how close your relationship was with him.

He just rolled his eyes in response, and sipped at his drink while you finished eating. The two of you got up at the same time to throw your trash away, and you just smiled a little at him and led the way over to the garbage cans.

“Still going to the aquarium?” Jiyong asked after, looking curious.

You nodded with a small smile. “Ne. I need to be there in case someone shows up.”

Jiyong frowned, but kept pace at your side as the two of you wandered in the direction of the COEX Aquarium. His hands were in his pockets, while yours fiddled with the strap of your messenger bag. You were wondering what you were going to do with the extra product if no one showed up to buy. If things were different, you’d be happy to sell to Jiyong, but he’d already told you he couldn’t be caught doing anything. You just assumed that wherever he was employed did unannounced drug screening.

“Why are you still selling it?” Jiyong wondered.

You shrugged. “Because I don’t have a problem doing so.”

The two of you were silent again for the walk. Jiyong started to go for the front entrance, but you grabbed his sleeve.

“Do you really want to pay the fee?” you asked, raising an eyebrow.

He looked confused. “Ani, but you said we were going inside…?”

You smiled. “You’re not the only one keeping secrets, you know, Jiyong-oppa. Come this way.”

You took his hand in yours without thinking, unaware of the way he suddenly tensed up at the abrupt skinship. You didn’t seem to notice, and just went about leading the way with him in tow like a large puppy.

As you knew, there was a staff entrance around the corner down a short service corridor. You didn’t let Jiyong see the key that you entered, although it would hardly matter. You would get a new one in a couple weeks anyway, for security measures.

“How do you know that?” Jiyong asked as he slipped in with you.

The two of you had just entered the kitchen area where the meals for all the marine life were prepared. You smiled with nostalgia, before moving through the door.

“I know a lot of things,” was your cryptic answer.

Jiyong sighed heavily as he followed behind you. “Do you plan on keeping everything else a secret from me?”

“It depends on what secrets you give me first. All I’ve gotten now is your name.”

It took him a minute to close his mouth as he gaped at you. To be sure, you were the strangest girl he had ever had the chance to meet. You made even his crazy fans look normal and tame. You were wild, dangerous, and something entirely different than had ever been in his life before. He wasn’t sure if he ever wanted to leave your side.

“Arasso,” he answered, but you hushed him before he could continue.

“Don’t say anything for a bit, arasso? Aish, did you forget we snuck in here?” you hissed at him. “Be quiet. The night staff is here and they don’t all know me.”

You took his hand again and pulled him along behind you. Jiyong still didn’t know what to say, or do, so he followed. You let go when you entered the public part of the aquarium. There, you headed for the underwater tunnel.

Jiyong followed at a slower pace, hanging back at the entrance to watch you. You calmly walking towards the wall to press your face against the glass is such a contrast from the first night, he can’t help but smile a little.

It is raining outside, and Jiyong has little interest in making the way home without an umbrella. He is fortunate that his coat has a high enough collar that he can obscure his face as he jogs into the mall. It is surprisingly crowded, although as he thinks about it, the rain really makes that unsurprising. It’s obvious by the drenched people he passes that he isn’t the only one seeking shelter.

He doesn’t feel like risking the chance that someone will recognize him as G-Dragon and swarm him. The closest place that will both entertain him and provide a cover is the aquarium.

It, unlike the rest of the mall, is not busy at all. There are a few couples walking around on obvious dates, but he chooses to ignore them.

It isn’t until he got into the underwater tunnel that his night changed.

There is a girl lying sprawled out on her back in the middle of the floor. He glances around and notices that although there are a couple of staff members walking around nearby, no one is doing anything about this.

A little worried, but mostly curious, he wanders up to the girl.

She is intently staring at the ceiling, and a peek shows that she is apparently hypnotized by a large shark swimming above the two of them. It is interesting, but not really worth the expression the girl has on her face.

The light is just enough for him to see how dilated her eyes are. She is definitely high on something, and a decent amount of it. He doubts it is weed, either.

“Gwenchana, agasshi?” he wonders.

The girl ignores him, before carefully wiggling out of the sweater she is wearing. He can see why. Perspiration is starting to collect around her hairline, and the tank-top she is wearing under the knit sweater is clinging to her skin. As attractive as she is, it’s her tattoos that get his notice.

Her arms are covered in ink. A solid collage makes up both arms, although the left one ends a bit below the elbow instead of all the way at her wrist. He’s not sure why she got the tattoos, but she seems to have had a decent artist, and they fit her well.

“Agasshi?” He leans over her and waves a hand over her eyes, so it gets in the way of her view of the animals above the two of them.

She blinks rapidly, before frowning at him. “Who’re you and what d’you want?” she wonders.

“Gwenchana?” he asks, frowning a little.

She waves him away. “Gwenchana. Go away.”

“Why are you laying there for no reason?” he asks.

“Feel like it. The fish are my friends, they care about me,” she answers. “The only ones who care about me. More than friends, I guess. Family.” Suddenly she smiles and waves at a passing sawfish. “Annyeong, Toothy!”

Jiyong struggles not to laugh at the nickname of the fish. It is the nickname a child would give to a favored pet. He can’t imagine why this strange girl has one for the sawfish.

“I see, well… that’s unfortunate. Fish don’t make very loving companions.”

The girl glances slowly over at him, then back up at the fish. “I don’t need love.”

The simple emptiness of that statement startles him completely, leaving him speechless as he looks down at her. She’s a complete stranger, her life totally unknown to him. In fact, it’s none of his business, and he doesn’t know why he even cares. He’ll never see her again after tonight, he’s sure. But he wants to take care of her.

“Maybe not,” he says with a shrug. “What’s your name?”

“Sunhi,” you state. No family name.

Perhaps the fish really are the only family she has.

“I’m… Ryuu.” Leaning down, he starts to gather you up.

“Yah! Put me down,” you protest, hitting on his arms weakly. “Just because we exchanged names doesn’t make us friends!”

He only chuckles, scooping up her sweater as well and draping it around her bare arms. No need to gather more attention to them with her tattoos. Still, he makes no move to put you down, or even respond to you at all.

“Where are we going?”

“To get something to eat. I don’t know what you’ve taken, but I am sure food will help in some way.”

You can only snort. “It’s not alcohol, babo. Also, that’s a lie. You can’t sober up by eating greasy foods. You have to eat that first. The grease coats your stomach and keeps you from absorbing any alcohol until it reaches your intestines.”

He’s not sure what to do with this random fountain of knowledge, so he chooses to stay silent for a moment. Then he lets out a little sigh.

“Either way, food is good for you.”

You don’t say anything. In fact, you stay completely silent while he carries you out of the aquarium.

“Is it still raining?” you wonder quietly.

He glances at you surprised to see you’ve turned your face into his shoulder and are refusing to look anywhere but at the fabric of his coat. He shrugs a little.

“It was when I walked in,” he comments.

She only sighs and closes her eyes. “Good. The rain always feels the best when you’re high.”

Jiyong could only imagine. It certainly felt good the couple of times it had rained on him when he was stoned. However, he knows that you are on something much stronger.

“What are you currently using?”

“Lysergic acid diethylamide,” you commented absently.

“LSD?!”

“Ne.” A pause, then she starts to giggle. “Look! There’s jellyfish in the rain!”

“Did the jellyfish return when it rains?” he asked as he wandered up to you.

You frowned at him, before rolling your eyes. “Maybe, I’m not going to tell you. You’ll only judge me.”

“Have I judged you yet?” he asked, genuinely hurt.

You sighed, looking down. He had a point. Jiyong knew probably the most about you out of everyone in your life. He had seen you at your most vulnerable. Yet he never commented about your bad choices.

“Ani, you haven’t,” you commented. “Gomawo.”

Jiyong didn’t answer. He was still a little stung that you thought he’d judge you. The way you said it, though, it sounded common and rehearsed. It was something you either thought a lot and never said aloud, or you said it a lot to everyone. Either way, it was a sad concept.

You pouted a little. However, you had a feeling that you were not going to get a response.

“Yes, the jellyfish have come back since the last time. No, I haven’t used it again. And, yes, I’m telling you the truth.”

Jiyong only smiled a little, before reaching out and ruffling your hair. “Arasso, do your job. I’ll be wandering around Amazonia World.”

You waved him off. You didn’t want to tempt him, nor let him know that you had access to harder drugs than the LSD that you’d taken. There was no way you’d give Jiyong meth.

It was going to be a long night.