Trusting Someone New

Trusting Someone New

 

The game of trust. They were going to spend their game time for the day doing games of trust. Most of the campers were already partnered up with people they knew, Yesung's two friends had partnered together leaving him alone. Nervously biting his lip, he went to the counsellor in charge of the activities to state his issue.

"I-I don't have a partner..." he mumbled nervously, a small part of him praying that they would let him sit out for today.

"Not a problem, Yesung." The counsellor assured him before bringing another camper over, "Yesung, this is Hankyung. Hankyung this is Yesung. You two will be doing these activities together." The counsellor decided for them before walking away, leaving the two boys to stand there in silence.

While those around them discussed whatever was on their minds, Hankyung and Yesung remained silent until the counsellor finished explaining the rules of the first game. Turning to Yesung, Hankyung spoke slowly to the other, "Do you want to wear the blindfold or give directions first?"

Yesung stared at the black blindfold before looking up at Hankyung, "The games are about trust. I'll wear the blindfold first- but let's come up with a code that only we will understand."

"A code means trust?" Hankyung questioned, not completely following Yesung's logic.

"A code means reliance in each other. Reliance needs some type of trust bond in order to be established. Our code will be the start of that code." Yesung explained with a slight smile.

Hankyung pondered Yesung's words before nodding in agreement, "What will our code be though?"

"We will dictate the other's steps precisely. One means to take one step forward, two means a step to the left, three means a step to the right, and four means to take one step back." Yesung paused, "And five means stop, we made a mistake."

"One means forward, two means left, three means right, four means back, five means stop?" Hankyung listed back to Yesung, double-checking his information.

"Exactly!" Yesung nodded with a bright smile, "I'm going to put the blindfold on now- remember, if I touch anything on the ground it means we lose health- five times and we're dead." Yesung stated before placing the blindfold over his eyes.

Hankyung carefully led Yesung to the start of the maze. When the counsellor told them to begin, Yesung remained still until he heard Hankyung's first word, "Three." Yesung stepped to the right, "One. One. Two. One." Hankyung spoke after Yesung would place his foot solidly on the ground. The rest of the campers watched in awe as Yesung easily crossed the maze without touching a single item, "Five." Hangkyung called out as Yesung reached the end zone. Quickly racing over to the other, Hankyung removed Yesung's blindfold, "We did it!" He exclaimed in Chinese, smiling brightly.

Although Yesung didn't know a word of Chinese, he understood Hankyung perfectly as the blindfold fell to the ground and he hugged the elder, "Yes, we did!" He replied just as ecstatic as his new-found friend.