~

It's Not Just A Dream

 

It was an extremely hot day. It was hotter than hell. You were waiting to board the train and the body heat from all the people made you cranky. A stream of people exited the train and you eyed a spot. As soon as the last person was off, it was a free for all. Everyone rushed on and you nearly got swept away with the crowd. It was nice and cool, plus the train wasn’t as crowded as the last one had been. Your mood was looking up already. You took your seat and glanced out the window. A boy seemed like he was staring in your direction. You flash a sheepish half smile just in case he was looking your way. It couldn’t hurt right? Just then, he sprinted away. You shrug it off. Big deal. You probably scared him off with how nasty you look from being all sweaty and such. It could have been worse. As the doors begin to shut, someone slips onto the train. You peek around the bodies standing in front of you and you gasp. It was the same boy who just got off the train. He looks through the crowd and you assume that he forgot something so you decide to put in your ear buds and listen to music. You were about to close your eyes and get lost in your music when you notice everyone start turning to look at you. Someone grazes your shoulder and you turn to give them the evil eye but you catch yourself. It’s the boy. He smiles and offers his hand to you. You pull out an ear bud just in time to hear his deep voice ask you to dance. The sounds of his words were like honey to your ears. You can feel your face getting warmer as more and more people turn to stare at you. Wait… he wants to dance? In the middle of the train? You laugh at his silly request.

“Are you kidding? There isn’t any room.” You wave him off, but he captures your hand and pulls you up and sweeps you into a spin. It didn’t take long for you to notice how handsome and tall he was. His eyes were smiling at you. Did he know you? Who was he and why was he being like this? You avert your eyes and catch someone else’s, and then another pair. It was almost better to look at the mysterious guy in front of you. At least he was good looking. His hair was black and styled up. His skin was pale, and his lips were thin.

“Why are we dancing in a crowded train again?” Your voice was timid and self-conscious. The boy cracked a smile and led you back to your seat.

“I have absolutely no idea. I just felt like I needed to dance with you.” You gave him a questioning look, but sat back down. Everyone started to get back to their own business as he sat beside you. The rest of the ride was agonizing. He didn’t say a word the rest of the way to your destination. Miraculously, he stood up and you both got off at the same stop. The by turned to you and smiled. “Thanks for the dance. My name is Kim…”

Beep Beep Beep… Beep Beep Beep…

Your alarm went off and you sit up in bed and rub your eyes. What a strangely life like dream. It was a little upsetting because you did want to know his name. It felt like you had seen him before but you didn’t remember. Shrugging it off, you get ready for the day, going through your routine. As soon as you get outside, you realize it’s a scorching day. You make your way down to the subway where there is little relief.  Someone bumps you into the hand railing on the stairs and you feel a sharp pain in your side. You could already tell, today was going to be terrible.

“Are you alright? It looks like that hurt.” A familiar voice buzzes in your ear. You turn and there he is the boy from your dreams is literally hovering over you. He is wearing the same silly smile like right before you work up from your dream.

“I’m alright now, thanks.” You manage to choke out as you stare in disbelief. He notices the weird look and backs off a little. He gives an awkward wave before disappearing in the crowd. It took a few minutes for you to come to your senses and take off after him… or try to anyway. Same as your dream, the subway was awfully crowded today. As you pushed, bobbed, and weaved your way through the people, you notice him again.

“Hey, you!” You call him but he doesn’t respond. Of course he wouldn’t. If only you had heard his name in your dream… Was that even his real name? The whole situation was just extremely eerie. You try calling him again. “I’m talking to you, turn around!” Miraculously he does what you tell him to and turns around. Before you can lose him again, you run up next to him. He seems just as tall as the guy in your dreams.

“Yes?” he asks uneasily. He was getting more and more uncomfortable with you staring at him with big surprised eyes. He looked even better today that he did in the dream. He also seemed like he was in a hurry.

“I just wanted to know where I’ve seen you before. This will sound weird, but I saw you in my dream last night.” You freeze when the boy reaches out to you and pulls you in for a hug.

“It’ll be our secret.” He whispers in your ear. You can hear the smile in his voice. “Remember to turn on your TV at 7PM, okay?” He proceeds to get on the train and you can’t get his voice out of your ear. The rest of the day crawls by as you wait for 7PM. You can’t sit still and a million things go through your head: he’s on TV? He’s famous? Have I seen him somewhere else before? Why is he being like this? What is even on at 7PM? A music show… he’s going to be on a music show? When 7 rolled around, you flipped through the channels and stop once you hear something familiar.

“I’m Kim Himchan from B.A.P!” you are about ready to slap yourself. Of course you would have seen him before. He was on TV, he was on the internet, he was almost everywhere. Groaning, you sit back and watch the show as he has fun with the other members of B.A.P and the host of the show. Near the end, he waves to the camera and smirks playfully. “Hope we meet in your dreams again! If not, we can meet at the train.” he got hounded by his band mates after that and the show ended. Was that an invitation? You shut the TV off and frown. What did that even mean?

The next day, you wake up extra early and try to do your hair and coordinate an outfit. Of course, your hair doesn’t want to be cooperative. You have no idea if he’ll be there today or not but it’s worth a try anyway. If I were Himchan in the subway, where would I go? You ask yourself as you shuffle along looking for the terminal you were at yesterday. You were so busy looking for the right terminal you almost pass him by: Kim Himchan, leaning on the wall, his hood up and arms folded across his chest.

“I guess you saw it, huh?” he raised a brow and stared straight into your eyes. You avert your gaze and shrug. “Oh. Not impressed huh?” he stood up straight. He seemed to tower over you. You let out a slight shake of your head.

“Was that necessary? I just wanted to know your name.” you grumble.

“I don’t want to just know your name. I want to know more about you.” The familiar smirk plays his lips and he grabs your hand, slipping a piece of paper into it. “Hope we can.” He sauntered away towards the terminal, leaving you dumbfounded. Looking at the piece of paper he left, you scoff. A phone number. How could he be so careless? He’s leaving a phone number with a total stranger. And wait a minute, he still didn’t even know your name. None the less, you can’t help but feel a little bit special. You quickly take your phone out and send a text message to the number.

I want to know… is this a dream?

It takes a few minutes, but a reply comes in.

I don’t think so. I was going to ask you the same.