First Impression

Candid Shots | Drabbles and One-shots

 

first impression

myungsoo/naeun → 1197w

the first time myungsoo notices naeun, he falls in love, trips, and promptly spills his coffee on her.

 

 

 

 

Son Naeun is quite possibly the most beautiful girl he’s ever laid eyes on.

 

That’s the very first thought that enters Kim Myungsoo’s mind the fateful day he crosses paths with her in the café on campus. Of course, he hadn’t known her name then. But as he watches her toss her long, dark hair over her shoulder and laugh prettily at something her friend across the table says to her, he vows that he’ll find out soon. He continues on staring rather stupidly like that for some time, the drink clasped in his right hand all but forgotten.

 

His second thought comes a couple minutes later as he passes by the booth she’s seated in. He’s finally forced himself to continue walking because he knows Sunggyu and the others are waiting for him at their usual table in the back. As Myungsoo starts forward, he quickly racks his mind, trying to figure out if she attends the same academy he does and, if so, why he’s never seen her before.

 

His third thought comes as he accidentally catches his foot on a nearby chair. He hasn’t noticed it there before that moment, of course, because his eyes are clearly already preoccupied with something – someone – else. Suddenly, he starts to wonder why the girl, the beautiful girl with the long hair and doe-like eyes, is looming so close in front of him.

 

Then everything around him starts to move in slow motion. The room begins to tilt and the tiled floor rises up to meet him as his body is propelled forward by inertia. All the voices around him go mute and, in that moment, all he’s aware of is the strange, slightly out-of-body experience of falling. His free hand instinctively shoots out and grips onto the edge of the table to keep himself upright. Unfortunately, his other hand, the one holding his regular-sized iced coffee with extra cream and sugar, also shoots out. He watches with horror as the creamy brown drink sloshes ever so slowly over the girl’s white sundress.

 

Time stands still for a moment.

 

The girl lowers her head to look down at the stain on her dress. Another second passes before she jumps to her feet, her pink lips slightly parted. Her eyes, bright and clear and wide with shock, flicker up to meet Myungsoo’s gaze.

 

He knows he should apologize quickly and help clean up the mess now on the floor, but the only thought that passes through his mind is God, she’s even prettier up close. He feels the mostly empty cup slip from his hand and fall to the floor as heat begins to color his cheeks red.

 

Now, Myungsoo has rarely ever been in a situation where he has absolutely no idea what to say. He usually has a (somewhat) witty answer ready for whatever question or accusation thrown his way. But it isn’t every day that one makes a fool of themselves in front of their soulmate. And so, Myungsoo unthinkingly blurts out the first fully formed sentence that comes to him.

 

“It was your fault!”

 

That is, of course, one of the worst things he could’ve said right then. The dismay apparent on the girl’s face is quickly replaced by an expression of pure disbelief.

 

“What?” she asks, and her voice sounds exactly as he imagined – gentle and soft, though it becomes considerably less gentle and soft as she adds, “What did you just say?”

 

“I – I mean – well – “ Myungsoo pauses and searches his mind for a solution to his own stupidity. In a way, it was her fault. After all, if he weren’t so distracted by her shiny hair or pretty smile, he never would’ve accidentally tripped. Finally, he manages to reply, “You had your chair pushed out all the way. You can’t blame me for tripping on it.”

 

“I can’t blame you for tripping on it?” she repeats incredulously.

 

“No, you can’t,” replies Myungsoo, and he can’t hold back his grin. Here he is, actually having a conversation with the prettiest girl on the face of the planet. He pauses for a moment to give thanks to whoever is in charge of good fortune.

 

closes with a snap and her eyes narrow. “But I suppose I can blame you for being an arrogant jerk.”

 

Okay, so maybe he isn’t having a friendly, civil conversation with her. But at least they’re exchanging some form of words…right?

 

“Arrogant?” he asks, bewildered. Myungsoo is rather taken aback at her choice of words. No girl has ever called him that before. In fact, most girls seem fairly flattered when he even speaks to them. Besides, the two of them are clearly meant to be! Doesn’t she see that?

 

The glare she sends him is so sharp that he half wonders if he’s still alive and breathing. “Anyone with even an ounce of decency would’ve just apologized after dumping their entire drink on someone else. But not you. Oh, no, it’s my fault that your drink ended up on my dress,” she retorts. Her cheeks are now flushed with anger. “I don’t suppose you would care that it was a gift from my older brother. In fact, I wouldn’t even be surprised if you demanded that I buy you a new cup of iced coffee.”

 

“Wait, no,” Myungsoo hurriedly tries to backtrack. Things aren’t going right. “Of course I don’t want you to buy me a new one.”

 

Her eyes flash dangerously, but she says nothing, keeping set firmly in a tight line.

 

“And I do care that your dress was a gift from your older brother,” he continues earnestly. He tries to muster up a charming grin. “It looks very good on you.”

 

What?”

 

Apparently, she didn’t take his words as a compliment.

 

“The dress. It’s really, uh, pretty,” Myungsoo answers a bit uncertainly. Don’t all girls like for their clothing to be noticed and appreciated? Why does she still look so angry?

 

“You’ve conveniently managed to overlook the fact that a good chunk of it is covered in your coffee,” she snaps through clenched teeth. Then she whirls around and begins to shove all of her textbooks back inside her backpack.

 

“I really didn’t mean – I mean, I’m – I just – “ he blurts out, not even sure what he’s even trying to say anymore. “I’m sorry.”

 

The girl gives no indication that she heard his apology. She picks up her jacket from where it was slung over the back of her chair – Myungsoo notes with delight that it sports the Seoul Academy logo on the back – and faces her friend, who has been soundlessly watching their entire exchange with wide eyes. “Let’s go, Chorong. We can finish studying at my house.”

 

“Oh, okay. Sure. Of course,” replies Chorong, quickly standing up as well. She looks like she’s trying hard to hold back giggles as her gaze flits between the girl and Myungsoo.

 

Without another word, the girl turns and starts to stalk toward the exit.

 

“Wait!”  Myungsoo calls after her. “What’s your name?”

 

Considering the circumstances, he isn’t all that surprised when she ignores him, pushes open the door, and leaves without looking back.

 

 

 

-----

Author's Note: First of all, you guys may have noticed that I got my poster and background!!! Aren't they beautiful?! I requested them from Poster Paradise here on AFF: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/95240. I also gave the foreword a slight makeover to make it match. 

Thanks for reading and please enjoy! :)