....

Dark &Light;

 

Hidden in the dark there are always things meant to scare or harm. We're told as kids that it's our imaginations running wild. That we're safe in our beds among the sheets and pillows. Night lights serve the purpose of getting rid of that fear, until the light bulb dies. And the room goes dark again before you can make a break for the door or your parent's room.

The door locks you in, no escape. By morning you go insane because no one can hear you screaming. Now there's a man standing in the darkest corner of the room. Watching you panic with a smirk. But that's just the legend.

I lived the legend but my life ended that night. I've always been a feeble child who was afraid of everything and anyone. My mom use to call me anti-social or depressed since my father had died. But it was because she would force me to sleep alone and in the dark for most of my childhood.

I wasn't allowed to keep the curtains open, or the door, and certainly no night light. Everything was fine because I locked my closet at night and barricaded under my bed.

Until another kid told me the story of how a little girl was found strangled in her closet. Her rumored last words, overheard by her little brother, were rumored to be 'dark'. As if I wasn't scared enough already I had to worry about an unknown monster coming to eat me or my family. Or worse he could eat my cat. That little girl went to my school. Teachers and parents told us that she committed suicide. More like homicide.

That very night I had begged my mom to let me at least keep the door open. I probably pushed it when I asked her to keep the hallway light on. She yelled about how stupid it was, that I was being a big baby about it. That the girl's death had nothing to do with me and I shouldn't be so scared. Stole the lock from my closet and told me to man up. She expected a twelve year old to man up. I hadn't even fully hit puberty yet. That night I cried the hardest I can remember ever crying.

No sleep and sweat made my eyes burn during the night. From what I can manage to remember, the alarm clock said it was about midnight. The lights outside my window were so dim that they were practically of no use.

The tree shadows seeping into the room casted oblong strings of black into the room and across the ceiling. They looked a lot like fingers stretching out for me. "Mommy!" I remember yelling. But no answer. "Mom!" Nothing but the silent house.

A particular shadow reached the foot of my bed and I remember it being cold. My eyesight was terrible but I knew I wasn't seeing things. There was something, more like someone, in the corner. The lack of light covering him completely to the point of no recognition. "Mommy!" I ran to the door. Locked.

                                 *8 years later*

I had to work late again. Along with Kris, Kai, Lay, Dr. Jongdae, and a couple female nurses. The lights seemed to dim in the overly quiet hospital. Phones were silent for the night as privileges cut off at eight. It was now almost ten and I just wanted to go home. I wanted to catch the late night showing of For Her Fair Maiden at eleven. It was suppose to be a new horror movie being premiered on television for the first time. ZiTao, the roommate, was gonna record it for me if I happen to miss any of it.

"Sehun, last round assignments." Lay slapped the paper in front of me on the desk, interrupting my book and scaring me half to death. "Thanks for almost killing me." I snickered and scanned the page for my name and room number. I laughed because Kris got assigned to Mrs. Park in room 2B.

That old bat was one of the few patients that could make you laugh instead of cringe. She was in here because she was talking to walls at her office. Kai was assigned Mr. Shinho. The laziest man on the face of the Earth, wouldn't even move to get a drink of water. Catatonic from PTSD or something. But he found a way to be nimble and quick on his feet if he felt threatened.

"Poor Sehun." I heard Kris mutter before heading off to his respected patient. I looked at the name in bold print by my own name. Lu Han - Room:26A. This was what I dreaded. He was the saddest patient to walk in the doors of this institution.

He's been here for over seven years and hasn't spoken a word since. Not to the psychiatrist, not to the doctors or nurses, not even to other patients. "Ah man. Why me?" Just hearing his name made me sad. Sometimes I let work get to me.

His door was at the end of the longest hallway in the hospital. This hallway was exclusively for the long-term patients. I was about four doors away from his when the lights started flickering. I picked up the walkie-talkie as it started lighting up. "Power might go out soon. There's a wicked storm coming through." Kai announced. Great night to work in the dark.

My hand was in my pocket searching for the key to unlock Lu Han's room; when the lights finally flickered off. "Nice weather." Then it hit me and I practically kicked the door open. "Lu Han?" I called out into the dark, to get no reply. My knees hit the end of the metal framed bed and I reached out to feel around it.

There was no body in the bed and it felt like it hadn't been slept in either. 'Lu Han? It's Nurse Sehun. Where are you?" Nothing but the static of my radio and the faint yelling from down the hall. The other patients probably awakened by the sudden blackout. But mostly it sounded like the girl nurses and the the good doctor, Suho.

"I flipped the breakers. Lights will be back any second." Lay spoke through the static. And true to his words the lights flicked on one by one down the length of the hall. Until the light in this room lite up an illuminated everything. I was right and the bed was perfectly made and empty. "Lu Han?" I turned towards the door again. When I caught sight of someone in the corner.

"Oh Lu Han." I crouched in front of the figure curled in the fetal position. The white walls were almost too bright for eye comfort but they served their purpose.  A very shaky hand reached out and fisted the sleeve of my uniform. The tangled mop of dark hair moved until a face was looking at me.

The cheekbones too sunken in, the lips too pale, the skin too white and the eyes too dark. "It's alright. The lights are on and it's all okay." I remembered he was extremely afraid of the dark. Last time a storm knocked out power they had to sedate him because he wouldn't stop hitting his head against the door.

Dark eye bags stared back at me with those empty eyes. There was nothing in them. Not an once of happiness nor a sign of a potential smile. But one emotion in those irises I easily recognized was fear. I would go as far as to say downright terror. His lips moved but no words left him. "I'm sorry." It wasn't my fault it went dark for so long but it's the only thing I could think of to say.

Lip-reading wasn't my field of study but I understood him, "Help me." But without knowing what was hurting him so badly I could do everything but help him. Try as I might.

"Let's get you to bed. You'll feel better after some sleep." I went to stand and pull him with me but he refused. "No," he mouthed and tears made themselves known in those dull eyes of his. "What do you need? Water? More medication?" But he just shook his head and now would be a great time to be able to read minds. It was frustrating and it was getting late. I was practically wasting my time.

I sat in front of him again and his hand moved from my arm to my hand. The other hand wrapped into mine and he moved closer. i tried to back up a little but he kept trying to pull me back. I was scared of what would happen if he was too close. I couldn't see any weapon on him or any direct threat. But it made me extremely uncomfortable when he moved to sit on my legs. 

I finally understood what it was he probably wanted and desperately needed. So against better judgement, I let him hug me. His breath ghosting the exposed skin of my neck and cheek.

I loosely draped my arms around his shoulders and brung him fully against my chest. This was against protocol. It was against everything we had drilled into our heads in school and in training. 

Weak arms moved around me and squeezed the back of my shirt. "Lu Han I'm here. It's no longer da-"" I didn't wanna say that word. It might trigger another panic attack or worse violence against me. "Dark." Lu Han whispered against my ear.

And if I didn't know better I'd say he was smiling.