This little mistake

Portrait of a Poratrait: Warmth

 

Hiding behind a tree Nayeon was watching, actually creeping, how a boy was practicing his Kendo. This school was a special one – big yard in the front and different little parks, like this one here, around the building. Two parks actually were practicing places for various martial arts clubs. And this boy here was in the famous Kendo club called The White Tiger.

 

Wind blew pass the creeper-girl, warm wind. It was a beautiful sunny day perfect for any outside activity. Until one could see rain clouds in the distance approaching fast.

 

Nayeon had a weird idea popping into her head: maybe I could take photos of him? Yes! Why not? Then I can see him any moment I want! Even a mere thought of this boy made her heart flutter with joy. Where's my camera?

Nayeon opened her bag and took out her camera cautiously looking up once in a while not to get caught. She quickly took her pictures and stuffed the camera back into her bag. And as weird as it is but Nayeon always had a little green ball, you know those nice little massage balls with spikes, in her bag for no particular reason. And right now this little ball decided it was time to pop out from her bag and roll towards the Kendo boy.

 

As soon as this boy noticed the ball he turned his head to the direction it had come from.

„Is someone there?“ he called but no answer came.

Of course there was no answer because the one behind this little trick had made a run for it and had reached out of sight for now. Oh, feet, don't fail me now. Gyaah- slippery, slippery. Balance! Wiah-woah-woah-woah. All good. Now run for your life!

The boy picked up the green ball and went up to the tree, which, just a moment ago, had hidden a girl behind itself.  Only evidence left behind was a piece of paper on the ground. This wasn't any other paper it was a test paper with a name on it of course.

The boy looked at the name – Kim Nayeon. Isn't that the girl in class 2-A? Nayeon...she... she was here. The boy smiled from ear to ear.

„Baekho! What are you doing there? Are you trying to chop down that tree? Go take a shower, practice was over an hour ago.“ Baekho's trainer called the boy in an amused voice.

„Right away, sir.“ Baekho shouted back.

Baekho squeezed the little ball in his hand and ran into the nearby building.

 

Next day, same spot but no girl behind the tree. Baekho was really hoping to meet her today. Well, maybe not meet but definitely atleast notice her creeping behind the tree for him. But she didn't come: not today, not the day after, and not the day after that. Baekho did keep his eyes and ears open but he even didn't see her in the school house, though he intentionally passed her homeroom every day. Where is she? Did she switch schools just because of that? No, please tell me it's not true. Tell me I'm overreacting.

 

To tell the truth, yes, Baekho was overreacting. Nayeon had caught a cold, a really bad one. She didn't have much luck that day she creeped after Baekho. She missed the bus and had to walk home in the rain, cold rain. This is just great...

 

 

 

Baekho in the other hand was healthy as he could have been. He kept training in the park still hoping the girl would come to see him.

Next week Baekho almost tripped over his feet if he saw Nayeon at school again, even if it was only for a second. He felt heat rising up his face and prayed that no one heard his heart thumping like crazy. Now she'll come to see me again! I need to tell her somehow...

 

Baekho was right: Nayeon did come to see him, obviously hiding behind the tree. The boy pretended that he didn't know anything of the girl's presence and he didn't even look at her way to be sure she didn't feel intimidated in any way.

And so it went on like this for three more days – a boy practicing his Kendo and a girl watching him from behind a tree.

 

 

On the fourth day though, when Nayeon went up to her usual spot she found a little box there, carefully put next to the tree. Nayeon, the curious girl she was, thought that it wouldn't hurt if she would read the letter which was stuck under the ribbons. I will put it back afterwards anyway. No one will know.

She took the paper in her hands and unfolded it. It wasn't a letter, it was a test paper. Her test paper with her name on it! Nayeon gasped. That means he knew all along! That's why he didn't look this way even if I made some noise which should have put him on alert.

Nayeon looked up – Baekho hasn't come yet. She still had time.

Nayeon squatted down and opened the box. She found her little green ball in it along with a velvet box right next to it. Her hands started to shake and butterflies in her stomach got really lively. Could this be...

She opened the little velvet box – it was empty!

 

„What?! This can't be right. Where's the jewelry?“ she mumbled to herself.

She was about to break the box to find if maybe the jewelry still was somewhere in there when someone's balled fist appeared infront of her face. She didn't see who it was because the person was standing behind her. The stranger opened one's fist – a beautiful and simple necklace with a star pendant was presented to Nayeon.

 

The girl looked up only to meet with Baekho's smiling face looking down at her.

„Hello, beautiful.“ Baekho greeted without dropping his smile.

„Hey.“ Nayeon responded in a soft and shaky voice.

The girl looked back at the necklace and grabbed the pendant.

„Do you like it?“ the boy curiously asked.

„I...Yes.“ Nayeon answered still trying to get the hold of the whole situation.

„Want me do put it around you neck?“

Nayeon only nodded for an answer this time.

„Could you stand up for me, please.“

The girl obeyed and Baekho put the necklace around her neck. „There. Now you're even prettier.“

Nayeon smiled to herself. „T-thank you.“ she stuttered, her face turning red.

 

There was silence between them. Only sound which was heard was their breathing and the wind playing with the trees' leaves.

„Nayeon?“

„Yes.“

„Why did you come to see me every day?“

Nayeon forgot how to breathe for a moment. She felt like the butterflies in her stomach were about to break out from her any second now. Her heart was beating like never before.

If she only knew that Baekho was as nervous as she was. It seemed to the boy that today was exceptionally hot or was it just him?

 

„Because I...I... I mean...that...“ Nayeon just couldn't get those three words out of .

„Because you like me?“ Baekho asked softly, hoping he knew the right answer.

„Yes.“ Nayeon breathed out.

„You know what?“

„Mh?“

I love you.“ Baekho said wrapping his arms around the girl giving her a warm hug.

„I love you, too.“ Nayeon whispered putting her hands on the boy's arms.