They Were Once a Happy Family

They Were All Just Lies

 

 

“Noona! Noona! Read me this book. Sica noona won’t read this to me.” The eight year old Jaejoong pleaded his sister who is busy washing the dishes.

 

“Aigoo, Joongie-ah! Noona is still busy here. Can you wait for me?” She lovingly placed some bubbles on Jaejoong’s nose which made the little boy giggle.

 

“Neh! Noona! I’ll wait for you then. Do you want me to help you so we can read earlier?” Jaejoong pouted cutely to his sister which made the older chuckle.

 

“No, you don’t have to pretty boy. This will be done very soon.” And BoA went back to her work again as little Joongie quietly sat down on the couch in the living room, excited on his new book that he wanted his noonas to read for him. His Sica noona have always been busy with studies because she was always used as representative for their school. Jaejoong admired his Sica noona because she is really amazing whenever Jaejoong would watch her solve math problems that Jaejoong doesn’t even understand. However, among his two siblings, who he really admire and dear to him the most is his sister BoA. She is the most lovable person in the world for Jaejoong, and the most pretty too. BoA would always be the one to help on his home works and projects and almost everything in school. His BoA noona is the best cook, the best teacher, the best storybook reader for him. Jaejoong love his BoA noona the most.

 

“Joongie, I’m done with my chores for today. What will we be reading now?” BoA slumped on the couch and sat beside Jaejoong.

 

“Cinderella noona!” Jaejoong’s eyes lit.

 

“Omona! Joongie! That’s a fairytale for girls. You are a boy, why did you not get other stories like Jack and the Beanstalk?” BoA stared at him with disbelief.

 

“My friend said that the story is good and our other classmates are always talking about it. Let’s just read this noona, I want to know the story.” Jaejong explained his side to his bewildered noona that didn’t thought that her little brother would have interest on girly fairytales. But seeing how adorable her brother and its eagerness to read a new story look, she willingly flipped the pages. Seeing this act, Jaejoong snuggled closer to his sister.

 

“Once upon a time, there lived a girl named Cinderella who has a fine golden hair and a beautiful voice…………” BoA read the story to her brother.

 

“She wanted to go to the ball, but her stepmother and step sisters gave her many tasks and prevented her from going…..”

 

“Seeing her kind heart and how she deserves to be on the said ball, a fairy helped her and gave her beautiful clothes and a pair of shining glass shoes….”

 

“The clock strikes twelve and she hurriedly went out from the ball and left the prince…..”

 

“The prince searched for every girl in the kingdom that would fit to the single glass shoe she left….”

 

“Even with the hindrance of the step mother and stepsisters, Cinderella was able to be recognized as the owner of the shoe and was immediately brought to the castle….”

 

“And they lived happily ever after.” After about thirty minutes of reading, little Jaejoong is already sleepy and gave a yawn. BoA took the little boy in her arms and brought him upstairs to his bed. Jaejoong peacefully slept in the warm cushions of his bed and went into dreamland. Boas heave a sigh seeing her wonderful angel sleeping so wonderfully. She quickly stood up and stretched a little.

 

“Okay, home works next. Better get going or else I have to sleep late again.” She quietly went downstairs and joined her sister Sica on studying.

 

“Yah! Sica-ah, why don’t you at least read Joongie books, you always neglect the poor kid.” BoA scolded her sister.

 

“But unnie, we have a competition tomorrow and I have to prepare for it.” Sica uninterestedly answered back to her unnie as she scribbles down notes on her book.

 

“You still have to show that you are part of this family. You make me feel like you are just a student living in a dorm together with your dorm mates which is US.” BoA argued to her sister as she jots down reviewers for her exam tomorrow. 

  

“Whatever…” The busy Sica replied for she doesn’t want to argue anymore with her unnie.

 

The two continued on their own school works until they heard the door open.

 

“Appa!” The two girls exclaimed in unison as they ran to the door.

 

“My beautiful girls! Are you all studying well? Where is our baby?” Their father said as he went to the kitchen and took a bottle of water from the fridge.

 

“Joongie is sleeping upstairs now Appa” BoA replied.

 

“I see… You guys study well there. I’ll give you a surprise if you all did a good job in the results.

“Neh Appa!” The girls squealed excitedly.

 

Their family is still happy even without a mother who died four years ago from a heart failure. Their youngest, Jaejoong, can’t even remember her mother’s name or face but their father tried to make the bond as close as possible so they can still feel like whole.

 

******

“Yah! Jaejoong! Give that back to me!” Sica tried to catch Jaejoong as the little boy swiftly ran, clutching his sister’s bear stuffed toy. Jaejoong giggled and ran even faster, unaware that his noona is already pissed off.

 

With a final jump to the couch, Sica successfully grabbed the bear’s feet and tightly held it. They are now playing tug of war.

 

“Give this to me! This is mine to begin with!” Sica screamed to her brother.

 

“But I want a bear too! I want a bear! Let me play with this noona.” Jaejoong yelled back as he pulled the bear closer to him. After several turns, the poor bear was still being pulled at and eventually---

 

Krassshhhicckkkk….- ripped apart.

 

Jaejoong stared wide-eyed at the once pretty bear he is holding. He can’t believe he is only holding now the head. Jaejoong’s jaw trembled as he gave an ear splitting wail. BoA who was busy doing her projects upstairs, heard the familiar cry and quickly rushed down.

 

“Omona! What happened here Jessica?! What did you do to Jaejoong?” BoA approached the crying kid and glared to her sister who glared back.

 

“Yah! It’s me again. I’m the one always at fault whenever that brat would cry. I am the victim here. See!? He tore down my teddy bear! This was given to me by my friend who went to States! This gift is valuable to me and this little monster just destroyed it like that. Ugh! Now I have to throw this away!” Sica threw the body of the bear, stormed out of the living room and rushed to her room, annoyed.

 

Jaejoong cried even louder after hearing his sister call him ‘monster’, he hated being called a monster by his Sica unnie and she did it again. BoA rubbed Jaejoong’s back and gently hushed the kid. After several minutes, the wail now reduced to faint sobs. Jaejoong still held the head of the bear and continued staring at the other half which was lying miserably on the carpet. Seeing Jaejoong’s actions, BoA grabbed a hold of the body of the stuff toy and sat on the carpeted floor. She faced the sobbing boy and showed him the other half of the bear.

 

“Noona, we have to throw this stuff toy now.” Jaejoong lowly said, his eyes now gazing the bear’s head.

 

BoA ruffled Jaejoong’s hair and took the head.

 

“Jaejoongie, you know what? It is not necessary to throw away anything that is broke.” BoA placed his hand on Jaejoong’s chin and made him face her.

 

“But noona, this is already ruined. We have to throw this away.” Jaejoong said between sobs.

 

“Joongie, if something is damaged, it doesn’t mean that we have to throw it right away. Many things can still be kept even if already harmed, especially if it is something important and can still be repaired. Do you understand Joongie?” BoA held Jaejoong’s small hands and squeezed it lightly. She took the broken bear and placed it aside. She then went to the storage room and went back with a sewing box.

 

“Here, Joongie-ah. I’ll show you that little bear’s injury can still be held. Okay?” Jaejoong nodded at his sister and he watched as his noona quickly sew the bear’s head and body, connecting it again. After some minutes, the bear is already same like before. Seeing the result, Jaejoong’s lips broke apart making a way into a wide smile. He held the newly healed bear and gave it a light hug.

 

“Now Joongie, go to Sica noona now and give her this bear and say sorry. Do you understand? Apologize to noona okay?” BoA ordered her brother and the boy hesitantly went upstairs.

 

A knock on the door can be heard and Jessica didn’t give a damn.

 

“Noona, this is me.” A voice said in a low tone.

 

Another knock can be heard.

 

“Come in Jaejoong.” Jessica ordered her brother.

 

The door opened, revealing a little flustered boy. His hands hidden at his back and head hung low. He slowly approached the girl who was already on her bed. Jaejoong stopped by the bedside and remained quiet.

 

“So, what do you want? You want to piss me off again?” Jessica said in an irritated tone.

 

“Noona… I...”

“What?”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“What?!” Jessica stared at her brother who was staring at the ground and immediately felt sorry too.

 

Jaejoong slowly revealed his hands which were hidden behind his back and showed a slightly crooked teddy bear. Jessica’s eyes started to water.

 

“I’m sorry noona. I just want a bear to sleep and play with. Please forgive me. I won’t do it again.” Jaejoong looked at his sister who was trying to suppress her tears.

 

After hearing those, Jessica quickly pulled the little boy for a hug and let her tears stream down.

 

“I’m such a bad noona, aren’t I Joongie?” Jessica said as she caress the little boy’s silky hair and the little Jaejoong shook his head in disapproval.

 

“I…love..you..noona..” Jaejoong stuttered which made Jessica shed tears more.

 

“Yah, Joongie. Do you want me to read you a story?” She lovingly looked at the kid. Jaejoong was stuck in space for a while because of his noona suddenly saying Joongie. Jaejoong never heard her sister call her affectionately that way. It would always be Jaejoong, little brat, little…monster. Jaejoong can be confirmed that he is in Cloud 9 right now. Jaejoong nodded with a wide smile plastered to his small face.

 

Jessica patted the space next to her signaling Jaejoong to step to the bed. Jaejoong quickly jumped to the bed and snuggled to his noona. Jessica slipped her hand under the bed and reached for something. A moment later, a huge compilation of story books is scattered on Jessica’s bed. Jaejoong rolled his eyes in amazement as he saw so many books he had never seen or read at all.

 

“Noona, why do you have so many books, do you read all of them?” Jaejoong inquired to his sister.

 

 “All of this is actually for you Joongie.” Jessica smiled adoringly to the boy.

 

Jessica have been collecting these books ever since she noticed that Jaejoong have this interest to story books. She has this habit of always visiting bookstore often and she would grab a book or two for Jaejoong. But Jessica never had a chance or confidence to give them to him so she just hides it under her bed. Yes, she loves Jaejoong and she cares for this little brat too like any other siblings does.

 

“Really noona? For me?” Jaejoong can’t believe his eyes and really thinks he is dreaming. Jessica nodded.

 

“Let’s read now. What do you want? The Little Prince? Secret Garden?” Jessica explored her hands to every book, waiting for Jaejoong’s response.

 

“Anything is fine Sica noona, as long as you are the one reading it.” He answered that made his sister heart flutter.

 

“Aigoo, this kid. Fine then, anything. This one, The Story of Anything.” They both giggled at the title of the book but continued reading it then. Jessica read the story to Jaejoong who eagerly listened to his sister. He clutched the sewed teddy bear to his chest and his head rested to Jessica’s shoulder.

 

BoA finished her projects and realized that Jaejoong didn’t go down so she assumed that he went to his room already. She cleaned up the living room and silently ascended the stairs. The first door that you would see is her room’s, next is Jessica’s, and Jaejoong’s and their father’s room at the opposite side. She walked pass through the two door and opened Jaejoong’s room but nobody is around inside. Still doubting, she softly knocked on Jessica’s room but no response so she turned the knob which was fortunately unlocked. Her happiness can’t be measured as she saw her two siblings peacefully sleeping together on the bed with their arms on each other. BoA is glad that Jessica had finally given the heart to Jaejoong. Maybe the stuffed bear helped, she thought, which was actually true. BoA moved towards the sleeping bodies in tiptoe, afraid that somebody would stir to sleep; she arranged the blanket on the two sleeping angels so they can have a much comfortable sleep. BoA gently gave a peck on Jaejoong and Jessica’s cheeks and silently retreated from the room.

 

She went downstairs and brushed her teeth when the main door opened.

 

‘Appa is here.’ She thought and continued on her business.